Page 183 of 184 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184 LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 2750
  1. #2731
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I count over-reliance on slow motion as one of the strange decisions.

    Speaking of Strange, is this Strange the same one as in Ultimate Spider-Man or is he someone new for this show? He didn't feel like he knew Spider-Man before.
    Different Spider-Man. They rebooted him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That would be the worst possible option.

    I hated it when the PS4 game did it. I hated it when the Arrowverse shows did it with their villains.

    It's underwhelming when the villain makes up a huge exaggerated plot when the whole thing could've been resolved in 2 minutes.
    Go big or go home with the final season, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Personally. I think they just shouldn't have bothered to introduce Eddie at all if they were just gonna give him such a small role. I would still be disappointed, but less bitter at it. I just don't understand. Why? Especially that decision to bond Venom with Max at the end? Super silly. Also it's such a huge shame that they had this cool mythology around the Symbiotes that was even better than the comics, and did jack and shit with it.
    I think the dumbest thing is the most they do with the mythology was in a youtube video. The Symbiote Sisters have, like, no context for their appearance otherwise.

    Like they could have been mentioned before or have some kind of exposition and build up to them, but no, we're just going to randomly throw them into the show and hope you watched the video explaining their whole deal.

  2. #2732
    Incredible Member Spidey_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the dumbest thing is the most they do with the mythology was in a youtube video. The Symbiote Sisters have, like, no context for their appearance otherwise.

    Like they could have been mentioned before or have some kind of exposition and build up to them, but no, we're just going to randomly throw them into the show and hope you watched the video explaining their whole deal.
    That was frankly bizarre. They threw Knull into that video too. Why talk about him at all in a supplemental online video when he doesn't actually factor into the show you're promoting at all? I feel like the actual third season was too far into production by the time the Donny Cates Venom run started taking off and introducing big new symbiote concepts that would be big stories so the most they could do was a tiny mention after the fact. Better they didn't waste that stuff for this show, honestly. It's not really a Spidey story anyway. Ideally just make a Venom cartoon/miniseries and do stuff like that. Marvel already makes Hasbro Venom merch without the Spidey name on it.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 04-15-2021 at 08:47 PM.

  3. #2733
    Mighty Member Spider-Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    You know what this series made me want to have? A actual Spider-Team show without Peter.

    Like, episodes like "Bring on the bad guys part 2" -the first half-, the Miles and Anya scenes in "The Living Brain", and the episode "The Day without Spider-Man" show that, if the production wanted, they could have done a very decent team show. The dynamic between Anya, Gwen and Miles was a highlight in those episodes and I could see a show with just the three of them. But since the mandate is "this is not a team show, Peter is the protagonist" ultimately the rest of them are sidelined.

    It would be cool if Marvel actually does a Spider-Man show were Miles is the protagonist. The idea of it being a team show with other spider-themed legacy characters fits better with him than with Peter. "The Day Without Spider-Man" almost feels like a pilot for a spin-off starring the trio, and you know what? It actually works.

  4. #2734
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    You know what this series made me want to have? A actual Spider-Team show without Peter.

    Like, episodes like "Bring on the bad guys part 2" -the first half-, the Miles and Anya scenes in "The Living Brain", and the episode "The Day without Spider-Man" show that, if the production wanted, they could have done a very decent team show. The dynamic between Anya, Gwen and Miles was a highlight in those episodes and I could see a show with just the three of them. But since the mandate is "this is not a team show, Peter is the protagonist" ultimately the rest of them are sidelined.

    It would be cool if Marvel actually does a Spider-Man show were Miles is the protagonist. The idea of it being a team show with other spider-themed legacy characters fits better with him than with Peter. "The Day Without Spider-Man" almost feels like a pilot for a spin-off starring the trio, and you know what? It actually works.
    So you want a Web Warriors-type show? Would they all be from different universes?

  5. #2735
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    That was frankly bizarre. They threw Knull into that video too. Why talk about him at all in a supplemental online video when he doesn't actually factor into the show you're promoting at all? I feel like the actual third season was too far into production by the time the Donny Cates Venom run started taking off and introducing big new symbiote concepts that would be big stories so the most they could do was a tiny mention after the fact. Better they didn't waste that stuff for this show, honestly. It's not really a Spidey story anyway. Ideally just make a Venom cartoon/miniseries and do stuff like that. Marvel already makes Hasbro Venom merch without the Spidey name on it.
    The weird thing is Cates was a consultant on the show too.

    Although they probably threw Venom/Symbiote stuff into this show for the same reason that Avengers Assemble's final season became a Black Panther show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    You know what this series made me want to have? A actual Spider-Team show without Peter.

    Like, episodes like "Bring on the bad guys part 2" -the first half-, the Miles and Anya scenes in "The Living Brain", and the episode "The Day without Spider-Man" show that, if the production wanted, they could have done a very decent team show. The dynamic between Anya, Gwen and Miles was a highlight in those episodes and I could see a show with just the three of them. But since the mandate is "this is not a team show, Peter is the protagonist" ultimately the rest of them are sidelined.

    It would be cool if Marvel actually does a Spider-Man show were Miles is the protagonist. The idea of it being a team show with other spider-themed legacy characters fits better with him than with Peter. "The Day Without Spider-Man" almost feels like a pilot for a spin-off starring the trio, and you know what? It actually works.
    I think this show definitely struggled having to juggle all the other Spider-Characters with the show ultimately needing to be about Peter at the end of the day, but I just don't think the Spider-Team concept is a natural fit for Spider-Man.

    Like, I get it, it spotlights a bunch of characters together but I don't think the team concept really functionally works when normally in a story starring any of these characters you just need really one of them and not a bunch of them with the same powers or specialties. Most Spider-Man villains do not need a whole team to take down and the writing having to justify them being around either constantly had Peter underperform to justify needing to be saved by his supporting cast or had the rest of them underperform to justify Peter needing to be there or there being more than one of them to begin with.

    Like in "The Day without Spider-Man" where all three of them struggle to take down Scorpion and Tinkerer, villains who Peter was able to take down solo (which for this show was an achievement). And that's ignoring the lack of logic behind Gwen's entire story in that episode because we need her to be a hero and wear a costume.

    Ultimate was more focused on the team aspect and even that struggled trying to make it work.

    Personally I am so tired of teams.

  6. #2736
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The weird thing is Cates was a consultant on the show too.

    Although they probably threw Venom/Symbiote stuff into this show for the same reason that Avengers Assemble's final season became a Black Panther show.

    I think this show definitely struggled having to juggle all the other Spider-Characters with the show ultimately needing to be about Peter at the end of the day, but I just don't think the Spider-Team concept is a natural fit for Spider-Man.

    Like, I get it, it spotlights a bunch of characters together but I don't think the team concept really functionally works when normally in a story starring any of these characters you just need really one of them and not a bunch of them with the same powers or specialties. Most Spider-Man villains do not need a whole team to take down and the writing having to justify them being around either constantly had Peter underperform to justify needing to be saved by his supporting cast or had the rest of them underperform to justify Peter needing to be there or there being more than one of them to begin with.

    Like in "The Day without Spider-Man" where all three of them struggle to take down Scorpion and Tinkerer, villains who Peter was able to take down solo (which for this show was an achievement). And that's ignoring the lack of logic behind Gwen's entire story in that episode because we need her to be a hero and wear a costume.

    Ultimate was more focused on the team aspect and even that struggled trying to make it work.

    Personally I am so tired of teams.
    That feels like a Superman argument. What are you even comparing him to? The comics? The other cartoons? The movies? Why do you believe that he's underperforming?

    His strength has always been dependant on the plot.

  7. #2737
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That feels like a Superman argument. What are you even comparing him to? The comics? The other cartoons? The movies? Why do you believe that he's underperforming?

    His strength has always been dependant on the plot.
    Because he ends up getting beat up and saved by other characters on a consistent basis on the show. Gets mistaken for a sidekick a few times. The show is based off of Slott's run.

    If the plot needs him to underperform so that other characters can get the spotlight or save him, then yeah, it's going to happen.

  8. #2738
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Because he ends up getting beat up and saved by other characters on a consistent basis on the show. Gets mistaken for a sidekick a few times. The show is based off of Slott's run.

    If the plot needs him to underperform so that other characters can get the spotlight or save him, then yeah, it's going to happen.
    Spider-Man getting beat up is not a new trope. That's literally just how comic books work.

  9. #2739
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Spider-Man getting beat up is not a new trope. That's literally just how comic books work.
    Yeah, but usually he overcomes getting beat up and wins the fight on his own after figuring out how to beat the villain.

    On this show it was more like "how is Spider-Man going to get out of this? Oh, some other character will come in and do it for him" more often than not.

  10. #2740
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but usually he overcomes getting beat up and wins the fight on his own after figuring out how to beat the villain.
    And he still does that here, so yeah

  11. #2741
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    And he still does that here, so yeah
    Not really. Most of his solo wins were during that Bring on the Bad Guys short story collection. Or whenever he fights someone not plot relevant.

  12. #2742
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not really. Most of his solo wins were during that Bring on the Bad Guys short story collection. Or whenever he fights someone not plot relevant.
    Not seeing the difference here. Even in the older shows most of his "victories" got nullified by something else.

  13. #2743
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Not seeing the difference here. Even in the older shows most of his "victories" got nullified by something else.
    Like the machinations of another villain who somehow benefitted from Spidey winning? Or something in his Peter Parker life taking a downturn?

  14. #2744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Different Spider-Man. They rebooted him.
    I'm aware of Spidey so I didn't ask about him, I was wondering if Doctor Strange got rebooted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    You know what this series made me want to have? A actual Spider-Team show without Peter.
    If they get a team with vastly superior vision and direction I'm all open arms for it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  15. #2745
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I'm aware of Spidey so I didn't ask about him, I was wondering if Doctor Strange got rebooted.
    It's still Liam O'Brien's Strange, he's just meeting this Spider-Man for the first time.

    Although he interacted more with Miles, which was kind of neat .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •