Page 164 of 184 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2750
    Astonishing Member

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always felt the problem was that too much stuff happened too soon. We basically started with a finished story with little reason to appreciate it.
    I can agree with this, it does seem that plotlines are pushed in and out rather rapidly.

The problem I have with blaming "teenage Peter" is that Ultimate Spider-Man (comics) and Spectacular Spider-Man were great. Blaming Peter's age feels like scapegoating.
    I definitely agree with this. I will say that one of the main problems with teenage Peter is that his age is often used as a scapegoat for being incompetent (and it has been like this with almost all media with him in it as a teenager after Spectacular). While it'd be understandable that someone who just received powers wouldn't be a master at them... It is oddly inconsistent on this show [I may be misremembering (so correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't Gwen get an understanding of her powers early?] One of the moments that really stood out to me was in Scorpion's first appearance on this show and he called Spidey out on not knowing how his powers work. I really hated that.

Also, I suppose I should watch more to find out, but has there been a passage of time in this show (i.e. has a year passed in the show). It's a little harder to tell with perpetual spring in cartoons and one of the appeals of starting Peter as a teenager is to watch him grow as a man (withe the exception of Ultimate where he was forever 15). I've heard that in the animated Ultimate, he became an adult near the series end (can someone verify that)

Since some of you mentioned Jackal, anyone remembers if he (his clone?) escaped prison? And what happened after that?

What happened to prisoners of the super max prison that is that nonsensical cage of Regent?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I can agree with this, it does seem that plotlines are pushed in and out rather rapidly.

I definitely agree with this. I will say that one of the main problems with teenage Peter is that his age is often used as a scapegoat for being incompetent (and it has been like this with almost all media with him in it as a teenager after Spectacular). While it'd be understandable that someone who just received powers wouldn't be a master at them... It is oddly inconsistent on this show [I may be misremembering (so correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't Gwen get an understanding of her powers early?] One of the moments that really stood out to me was in Scorpion's first appearance on this show and he called Spidey out on not knowing how his powers work. I really hated that.

Also, I suppose I should watch more to find out, but has there been a passage of time in this show (i.e. has a year passed in the show). It's a little harder to tell with perpetual spring in cartoons and one of the appeals of starting Peter as a teenager is to watch him grow as a man (withe the exception of Ultimate where he was forever 15). I've heard that in the animated Ultimate, he became an adult near the series end (can someone verify that)
    This show's first season was less than a full school year because he transferred over to Horizon and the season ends at the end of the schoolyear. Season 2 begins with summer break and then another schoolyear begins. After that somebody with a better recollection of it might have to correct me but I think it gets less definitive after that for the rest of the show.

Ultimate cartoon ended with him effectively coming into adulthood, graduated from the SHIELD academy so I guess the show spans his life from age 16-18 since it started a year after he became Spidey.

I don't have a problem with teenage Spidey in animated adaptations at all, I just have a hard time reconciling it in this show knowing where it's taking a lot of its ideas from. Things like him fighting Venom and Carnage while he's in high school is fine in these shows, it's just weird to me taking a thing like his big job at Horizon and bending it to fit in a kids show by making it a high school for gifted kids that just doesn't ring as true to me.

I get it's an adaptation and things are changed for different mediums but so many things like Spider-Island, Superior, and Goblin Nation all feel kinda like putting an uncooked piece of fish in the microwave to me- like jumping the gun in terms of the characters wider narrative when he hasn't even fought the Green Goblin, or known Doc Ock long enough, or made enough of an impact being a fixture in NY for Spider-Island yet. I don't know how to explain it other than it feels kinda incongruous. I like seeing these more recent stories adapted but I don't think the context is always really there to get the most out of it.

They've certainly built their own narrative to explain why things work the way they do, it's just it doesn't work super well for me lol.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 08-14-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    What bothers me the most is every time Peter needs help or to get saved on his own show by another hero or even a civilian.

Peter struggling in a fight? How will Spidey overcome this challenge? Oh wait, let's have another hero or character provide the solution for Peter to resolve this situation instead of having him do it on his own.

Like, how many times has Peter been saved or bailed out on this show?

Part of the problem with the other Spider-Heroes and making them as capable/smart as Peter is that it either makes Peter feel redundant or makes the other Spiders feel redundant when Peter has to resolve the situation because he's the main character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Since some of you mentioned Jackal, anyone remembers if he (his clone?) escaped prison? And what happened after that?
    Spider-Island happened.
    What happened to prisoners of the super max prison that is that nonsensical cage of Regent?
    Cloak and Dagger were released and are now heroes, presumably because they helped the heroes fight off Regent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    This show's first season was less than a full school year because he transferred over to Horizon and the season ends at the end of the schoolyear. Season 2 begins with summer break and then another schoolyear begins. After that somebody with a better recollection of it might have to correct me but I think it gets less definitive after that for the rest of the show.
    Well, they're looking at colleges so it seems like they're Juniors/Seniors now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Presumably, the other prisoners were sent to other supervillain prisons.

Mighty Member

Speaking of romantic teasing, there was also Peter and Kamala in season two. It's a bit more subtle, but still noticeable. Then I guess that got dropped this season in favor of MJ.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Speaking of romantic teasing, there was also Peter and Kamala in season two. It's a bit more subtle, but still noticeable. Then I guess that got dropped this season in favor of MJ.
    Honestly, nothing's gonna happen.

Honestly, nothing's gonna happen.
    Nothing really happened on the romance front in Ultimate, either. In the last season there was a moment of silence where Peter and MJ locked eyes for a bit and had a bit of a tender moment at the end of the Carnage arc. I don't remember if there was anything else at the end of the series but they grew a bit closer through shared superheroing. I'm expecting pretty much the same here minus MJ getting superpowers again.

Considering they can barely afford to give MJ more than five minutes of screentime, I am not confident we are going to get a solid romance arc in these last six episodes.

I saw the episode thanks to Youtube TV's Video-on Demand service.

Not going to spoil what happens in the episode, but that preview clip where Swarm singles out Miles is because it's a reference to Swarm's actor Alex Desert having voiced Jefferson Davis in the season one episode Ultimate Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Come to think of it, is Kamala supposed to have left the Avengers? She didn't show up in the episode where the team came back from space Venomized.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

SeanMicheal

maybe it will air next year on TV.looking forward for the series.

Astonishing Member

I love how in spite of Gwen, Miles, and Anna being in the episode, Peter spent most of his scenes away from them.

/s

Marvel's Spider-Man: Maximum Venom" now with even less Venom .

It's nice to see Tinkerer building more machines instead of being some kind of technopath or using a bunch of weapons .

I know Max is in trouble here and he doesn't deserve it, but...he has inadvertantly created a lot of Supervillains and trouble for Horizon through his management, so I can't say it's all completely off base.

It was nice to see Otto again, but I agree that relying on the testimony of a former Supervillain isn't the best idea, especially when said Supervillain was known for their duplicitous nature.

I love how we're not even pretending Toomes was anything close to the Green Goblin in season 2. They just keep calling him The Vulture and ignoring that whole Goblin King business.

Poor Aleksei. They keep using him as a plot device. He doesn't even get to be the main Rhino of the episode.

It's so weird seeing Doctor Connors as this smug, snide, bad guy. In any other Spider-Man show, Peter would be defending him of charges of being a danger to people.

So...what was Swarm's deal? I guess they were trying to be vague about it, right down to Spidey and Swarm joking about exactly what he is, but it seems kind of weird that they have this guy pop up and then get defeated without giving any kind of context behind him. Is he just some kind of amalgamation of a bunch of nanobot bees? A guy in a suit? He seems pretty human aside from decomposing into bees. I liked his design and Alex Desert's performance though.

I guess it was finally time for the girls to find out about Peter's identity. To be honest I'm surprised they never asked Miles if they cared so much, but I guess it matters more when it's someone they already know. Although they'll more readily believe Peter's a Goblin than they do that he's Spider-Man.

The show is finally bringing up the Jackal again after a season and a half of not dealing with him at all, even mentioning his relation to Gwen, which hopefully means they'll finally address the fact that he got away at the end of Spider-Island. Maybe he was behind Swarm too. If I had to guess, they'll assume Jackal is the "Big Bad" and deal with him next special only for the reveal of who the real villain is to come at the tail end of said special.

I'm super happy we finally got some quality Peter and MJ interaction in this episode. I figured Mary Jane was the sporty type, which is a fun contrast to how Peter's utterly clueless when it comes to sports, but it's really nice to see Peter talk to and get the perspective of someone who isn't yet another super scientist. MJ actually gave him some good and helpful advice, and overall I thought their interaction was genuinely pretty cute. Best of all, she called him "Tiger" .

This is probably the most the Spidey Team has actually felt like a team, particularly this season. Of course in the end they all get brainwashed so Peter has to save the day, but same old same old.

Connors' boss is fairly obvious even before you look at the credits and see who's playing him, but it looks like the show is finally bringing things full circle with it's proper main villain. I just hope they stick the landing better here than they did with Toomes, because this has the potential to be major if they handle it right.
    I love how in spite of Gwen, Miles, and Anna being in the episode, Peter spent most of his scenes away from them.

/s
    That pretty much sums up the friendship/group dynamic of these characters in a nutshell on this show.