Page 36 of 184 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Mj never went to midtown high.
    Adaptations can do different things and don't have to adhere to established lore

Well, she has in practically every adaption at this point .

Interview with Melanie Minichino, Anya's voice actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And here's an interview with Robbie Daymond.

Interestingly he refers to Gwen as a "guest star" rather then a main cast member.
    Well, having seen -what I'm assuming is- episode 3, she doesn't seem to attend Horizon High - or at least she doesn't seem to be part of Peter's class. So yeah, we're sticking with Anya and Miles as main supporting characters.

"Team Spider-Man." Wow, this is basically a CW Superhero show .

I think we're going to really stretch what counts as a veteran if Peter starts mentoring the other kids near the tail-end of his first year as Spider-Man. Especially considering this version already needs a support system to fall back on rather then being capable of working things out on solo, though maybe that'll happen less and less by then.

Of course, Anya isn’t the sole female representation in Marvel’s Spider-Man — Gwen Stacy (as voiced by Laura Bailey) is also a hugely important and influential character in the series as well.

"We have two really strong women in this series, it’s such a good example for young girls. To see these strong women being represented,” Minichino said. “It’s a really good example of what we need, especially in these times.”
    Two major female characters in the first season of a post-Loeb Marvel cartoon, let alone Spider-Man? Now that's a change of pace .

Still feels weird to see MJ not included in that.

Amazing Member

http://collider.com/marvels-spider-m...#images-poster

Who else is waking up at 7am to watch the show?

Nope. Don't have cable.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Disney put up the full episode on it's youtube channel

Yeah, and Harry and Peter weren't originally friends either. Originally Harry was Flash's friend. The only adaptation that got that part right was the 90's animated series. Other adaptations such as the Sam Raimi movies, and the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon showed Harry to be an outcast like Peter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Not available to view outside the US unfortunately.

I just finished watching the Horizon High episode. Unfortunately, I couldn't respond to it or find any adherent personal points, no matter how hard I tried. This is, yet, another Spidey series without any kind of memorable and exciting intro (they went for their old USM approach again: minimal combined with some odd, brief audio track).

The story was dragging for way too long, and every bit of expository dialogue, character interaction (not feeling it with Pete/Harry, Max/Pete, so strange it all was), humor (I didn't like how he was blabbering about his insecurities and dealing with an old lady and one of the pigeons, while NYC's finest had to deal with crooks and have a shootout with no interference from Spidey: only for them to prolong it to an unexciting, computer-generated chase scene), action felt rather bland, cold and unexciting to me.

The animation graphics are just ridiculous and I don't remember being that uninterested in both Spidey's movements, the landscape and overall vibe of NYC (a place where I spent a big chunk of my childhood and that I was always excited to see thanks to the colorful comics of the late 90's, early Spidey runs and John Semper Jr's TAS).

What's even worse is that all the action set pieces that involved Spidey fighting the Vulture (synergy aside, I just don't like him being some hired high-tech goon: 90's TAS was great at combining certain elements from Ditko, Stern and Michelinie's versions, whereas Weisman and Englund made him really menacing and a force to be reckoned with in SSM) didn't impress me in any fashion imaginable and this is not what you want from an aerial confrontation between some of the most iconic characters in Marvel Comics. Despite some of their flaws here and there, both SM: Unlimited and MTV's Spidey always knew how to make the action parts stand out and matter.

Overall, I don't think I will be sticking around (no pun intended) to find out if it gets any better. The shorts didn't do it for me and if I am already looking at my watch during the pilot, then it means that the show's creators didn't do their best to make sure their new corporate product truly stands out and makes a difference in the world where a lot of other shows are experimenting with style, storyline narrative and visuals.

Every Spidey fan, no matter for how long he or she had an association with the character, definitely has his/her own limits and, I suppose, so I just cannot bear to see how they have turned this amazing and complex superhero into some simplified, downgraded copy of his former self.
    Last edited by ObserveCreativeSouls115; 08-19-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Yeah, and Harry and Peter weren't originally friends either. Originally Harry was Flash's friend. The only adaptation that got that part right was the 90's animated series. Other adaptations such as the Sam Raimi movies, and the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon showed Harry to be an outcast like Peter.
    They stuck with the same formula of Harry's hate for spider man based on a misunderstanding. Miles, Anya, and Max seem to vaguely recognize Spidey's voice. A sign that at least some of them will learn Peter's secret in later episodes. And Peter can speak spanish fluently.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Team Spider-Man." Wow, this is basically a CW Superhero show .

I think we're going to really stretch what counts as a veteran if Peter starts mentoring the other kids near the tail-end of his first year as Spider-Man. Especially considering this version already needs a support system to fall back on rather then being capable of working things out on solo, though maybe that'll happen less and less by then.

Two major female characters in the first season of a post-Loeb Marvel cartoon, let alone Spider-Man? Now that's a change of pace .

Still feels weird to see MJ not included in that.
    The cw formula. Where the hero starts out alone and ends up with a team by the end of the season. Supporting cast learns hero's secret id one by one over time. Main villian to contend with for entire season. The one person closest to hero is the last to know the secret and reacts badly to it. Kinda like Arrow season 1. Harry reminds me of Oliver's season 1 best friend Tommy. Both had evil demanding fathers who is the hero's main enemy. Both hated their best friend's alter ego. More like Arrow than Flash because despite the accident that gave the hero powers like the flash, the hero starts out as a loner with no one aware of his secret at first while on the flash ep 1 Barry already had a team and at least 4 people knowing his secret while Ollie was a one man army for the first several episodes before he brought Felicity and Diggle in.

Amazing Member

I liked Horizon High part 2 more than part 1.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They shilled Max Modell a bit too much for my taste, and I wasn't fond if their portrayal of Otto Octavius. Horizon High in general just rubs me the wrong way, though I do like Anya and Miles so far.

Oh well, at least Aunt May's conversations with Anna hint at Mary Jane making an appearance.

Amazing Member

I like how much they showed Max Modell. It introduces him to people that are not familiar to his character.