Page 40 of 184 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Fan #1 View Post
    Where as Spectacular was unfortunately canceled after two seasons and Ultimate was just down-right terrible, I think this show has the potential to be just as good, if not POSSIBLY better than the 90's show. Again, emphasis on possibly.

It's a little... ruff around the edges, but I enjoyed what I saw. As mentioned above, I would've prefered Harry sport a little bit of that signature Osborn hair and Otto being real young is gonna take some getting used to. Everyone raving about Modell didn't bother me and it's not like he didn't give a taste of what he could do via that opening in the auditorium.

I like that Peter didn't change into the classic suit until at least episode two, and I wondered if they were gonna just keep that exclusive to both the pre-show episodes as well as the pilot. I like that the show-runners stuck to their guns on that.

B+
    At least stark did not make that suit.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    good point lol
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Yeah, I agree. If Stark made the suit in this new series, I think that would've been criminal enough to make me not watch the show ever again.
    "If you're not moving, you're not living. No matter how bad it gets or how many hits you take, keep trying."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe until they get their powers, though even then I don't think Peter is going to be hanging out with them all 24/7 like in Ultimate Spider-Man.
    This could be interpreted either way, but to be clear, Peter/Spider-Man wasn't hanging with the other regulars 24/7 either. There were many times were he'd go it alone, sometimes with hand-wave excuses as to where the heck everyone else was, sometimes not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Ah yeah, the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon Hobie Brown approach.

Can / will be gladly accepted by me, as "better than nothing", if just Thomas Firehart, in a nod to Puma and at least Thomas' existence in a show, as in Hobie Brown's example, although the Prowler was seen in one episode in Spider-Man: the Animated Series, that one reeked of "solely because there's an action figure of him" and was totally inaccurate to his character. Spectacular, slowly and subtly made Hobie a pretty well liked person in own right, by stewing him slowly and carefully.

Puma, always been a favorite of mine since reading his first encounter, complete with using his puma totem trackings of scent to track down Peter Parker as Spider-Man, crashing into him just a hair from time with MJ, determining that properties of his Black Costume as "organic", plus nobility to his native american roots and big boss businessman from the get-go, with his animalistic appearance, abilities, and instincts which Defalco, Frenz, and Marvel could have just done that, yet chose to make him ambiguously multi-tiered, more than just a simple beat-him-up of the month, from the start.

My apologies, if mentioning him was random, knowing that likely character choices for Spidey toon first would likely be either the sure thing same olds, or newer characters. I suppose someone could also say "Why hasn't Will O' the Wisp / Gibbon been brought in the screen yet?", but I kind of feel Puma as more than them, whose had plenty and plenty of quality appearances against or with Spider-Man / Marvel in the comics, yet is still treated like an obscure forgotten zero, who could be given more mainstream exposure through at least being used in a cartoon, exposed to scores of new children's and children at heart's eyes, for some mainstream recognition to change that.
    I kinda forgot about how Hobbie in Spectacular. Like, it's been awhile, and I'm not as fond of the show in hindsight, plus I was only ever able to watch Season 1 before it left boadcast back in the day. Hobbie was a bit too subtle, I think.

If they did Thomas here, though, I'd like to imagine that it would be more obvious than Hobbie was.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This could be interpreted either way, but to be clear, Peter/Spider-Man wasn't hanging with the other regulars 24/7 either. There were many times were he'd go it alone, sometimes with hand-wave excuses as to where the heck everyone else was, sometimes not.
    I know, but this show is not ostensibly a team show like Ultimate was or was promoted as, despite having multiple spiders popping up, so they might not feel the need to justify the absence of other spiders in certain episodes.

But we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I kinda forgot about how Hobbie in Spectacular. Like, it's been awhile, and I'm not as fond of the show in hindsight, plus I was only ever able to watch Season 1 before it left boadcast back in the day. Hobbie was a bit too subtle, I think.
    Well, the joke with Hobie was that he never got an lines until late season 2, so maybe that's why you missed him ?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    good point lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Fan #1 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. If Stark made the suit in this new series, I think that would've been criminal enough to make me not watch the show ever again.
    Is this going to be the new "web shooters vs. organic webs" Spidey geek debate?

That first episode is annoying, with nice recreation of shots from TSSM animated.

Episode 2 is better, and it's hard to miss how much they took from issue 648 of Amazing Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Afraid so.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    That first episode is annoying, with nice recreation of shots from TSSM animated.

Episode 2 is better, and it's hard to miss how much they took from issue 648 of Amazing Spider-Man.

Afraid so.
    I hope that doesn't mean that Anya will follow Sajani's lead and cut deals with villians to undermine Peter. Or will Gwen react like Carlie Cooper did when or if she learns that Peter is Spider man?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of this show, and while I'm not convinced with making a bunch of Peter's villains into school rivals or teens (the teen Ock was especially cringey, IMO) I think this show has a lot of potential. I also loved Peter building his high-tech suit himself, rather than becoming an Iron Man sidekick.

I would like to think most fans would prefer Peter being a self-made hero rather then getting by on Tony Stark hand-me-downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of this show, and while I'm not convinced with making a bunch of Peter's villains into school rivals or teens (the teen Ock was especially cringey, IMO) I think this show has a lot of potential. I also loved Peter building his high-tech suit himself, rather than becoming an Iron Man sidekick.
    I'm glad the "high-tech suit" wasn't super high-tech.

But yeah, I still don't get what they're doing with Ock.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I would like to think most fans would prefer Peter being a self-made hero rather then getting by on Tony Stark hand-me-downs.

I'm glad the "high-tech suit" wasn't super high-tech.

But yeah, I still don't get what they're doing with Ock.
    Yeah, I can't understand why they are making Ock a teen since part of their dynamic is that Ock is much older than Peter. However, I'll reserve my judgements until we see some more of him in this show. It definitely seems much better than Ultimate ever was, so far.

Wasn't that kinda the point of the movie that introduced said hand-me-down?

Wasn't that kinda the point of the movie that introduced said hand-me-down?
    It was. But people don't like that Tony Stark built his suit. And I understand their feelings. It kind of bugs me too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, I can't understand why they are making Ock a teen since part of their dynamic is that Ock is much older than Peter. However, I'll reserve my judgements until we see some more of him in this show. It definitely seems much better than Ultimate ever was, so far.
    I guess I could understand it if it's part of his superiority complex but I don't think they needed to go full-on Doogie Howser with Otto.

And on-top of that there just wasn't much there that felt like Doc Ock at all, from the voice onward. But that may be because he hasn't had the tentacles grafted onto him yet.