Page 42 of 184 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is this going to be the new "web shooters vs. organic webs" Spidey geek debate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Afraid so.
    Which is kinda sad and a bit frustrating to have to deal with. Both are things that technically make a whole bunch of sense in-contect, but are scorned by those who feel it "demeans" Peter in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would like to think most fans would prefer Peter being a self-made hero rather then getting by on Tony Stark hand-me-downs.
    Looking at the situation that way feels kind of disingenuous and beside the point. Maybe it's just me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wasn't that kinda the point of the movie that introduced said hand-me-down?
    For the specific movie's case, there's also this, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I think at the end of Ultimate Spider-Man, all the supporting characters knew.

I would think though it's more likely Peter would get kicked out of Horizon before Max found out.
    USM was also probably the cartoon where Spidey's secret identity was the most superfluous, if only because of the over-emphasis on the Superhero side of things and a diminishing focus on his civilian life.

I guess Amazing Friends would be another one since the trio were pretty insular as far as their personal lives.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Only if otto hijacked Peter's body and allowes horizon to be destroyed.
    Well the series already has established enemies for Horizon with Symthe and potential Oscorp Academy. They will do a Superior Spider-Man arc in all likely-hood (it fits better with him as a teen then adult) and it could get him kicked out.

USM was also probably the cartoon where Spidey's secret identity was the most superfluous, if only because of the over-emphasis on the Superhero side of things and a diminishing focus on his civilian life.

I guess Amazing Friends would be another one since the trio were pretty insular as far as their personal lives.
    Well with Homecoming having shown more supporting characters knowing Peter is Spider-Man too, we have to wonder if it's an important aspect for him to always have a secret identity.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Well the series already has established enemies for Horizon with Symthe and potential Oscorp Academy. They will do a Superior Spider-Man arc in all likely-hood (it fits better with him as a teen then adult) and it could get him kicked out.
    How so?

Well with Homecoming having shown more supporting characters knowing Peter is Spider-Man too, we have to wonder if it's an important aspect for him to always have a secret identity.
    Well, I think it's an essential aspect of Spider-Man that he has one, even if there a few people "in-the-know," unless you don't want to feature or focus on him having any kind of normal life outside of being Spider-Man or that isn't colored by people knowing he's Spider-Man.

Conversely I don't think that many people need to know that Peter is Spider-Man among his supporting cast, in any media.

But it's probably a case-by-case basis thing.

Mighty Member

Do you think Anya and Gwen will feel hurt and betrayed when or if they learn Peter's secret like Carlie Cooper did?

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Do you think Anya and Gwen will feel hurt and betrayed when or if they learn Peter's secret like Carlie Cooper did?
    Way too early to tell. He has practically no relationship with Anya and literally none with Gwen at this point.

Ultimate Member

Which was a great idea imo. It gave him more people to bounce off of as both Peter and Spider-Man.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Which was a great idea imo. It gave him more people to bounce off of as both Peter and Spider-Man.
    I agree with you there. In my opinion, the hero with no help or support, who has the world completely on their shoulders alone, is kind of outdated. I like how Ned interacted with Peter in that fashion.

Though I would agree, limit the number of people that are in the know. It has to be a secret from someone.

Ultimate Member

True, I'd say limit it to his closest friends/family/confidants.

How so?
    For me, it would be more interesting to see Otto being forced into more teenager situations and how he would react. In Superior, Otto got to change up a lot of Peter's life cause he was adult, imagine how difficult it would be for Otto to make Peter leave school and explain it to Aunt May.

There wouldn't be much to any change in the Spider-Man aspect, but you would see more difficulties in Otto having to be Peter in his personal life.

Well, I think it's an essential aspect of Spider-Man that he has one, even if there a few people "in-the-know," unless you don't want to feature or focus on him having any kind of normal life outside of being Spider-Man or that isn't colored by people knowing he's Spider-Man.

Conversely I don't think that many people need to know that Peter is Spider-Man among his supporting cast, in any media.

But it's probably a case-by-case basis thing.
    Agreed, but it's still weird considering in the first 50 years of Spider-Man they made it a big deal that no one could no his identity.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I agree with you there. In my opinion, the hero with no help or support, who has the world completely on their shoulders alone, is kind of outdated. I like how Ned interacted with Peter in that fashion.

Though I would agree, limit the number of people that are in the know. It has to be a secret from someone.
    I dunno, I think that's kind of Spider-Man to a T, or at least it should be.

Though I also think it's important that he let MJ in as a confidante and support, along with having a few allies like Black Cat, Silver Sable, and such.
    For me, it would be more interesting to see Otto being forced into more teenager situations and how he would react. In Superior, Otto got to change up a lot of Peter's life cause he was adult, imagine how difficult it would be for Otto to make Peter leave school and explain it to Aunt May.

There wouldn't be much to any change in the Spider-Man aspect, but you would see more difficulties in Otto having to be Peter in his personal life.
    I'm not sure if Otto would have trouble adjusting given he's a teenager himself in this continuity, but we still don't quite know exactly what he's like in this continuity.

Yeah, I liked that part of the movie and the Ultimate comics.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Really? That was one of the (many) things I disliked about the movie, because my interpretation of Spider-Man is that he will go to any lengths to do what he thinks is right, no matter how he may ruin his personal life or be criticized for it. If all his friends know that he is Spider-Man or can help him cover for it, then the stakes are greatly reduced.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I dunno, I think that's kind of Spider-Man to a T, or at least it should be.

Though I also think it's important that he let MJ in as a confidante and support, along with having a few allies like Black Cat, Silver Sable, and such.
    Ah, but by having MJ know, and have a few heroes as allies, then he has a support system in play. How much of a support system is, I suppose, of personal taste. I do think that it should be small, though. Only a few friends and maybe Aunt May. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon went way overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Really? That was one of the (many) things I disliked about the movie, because my interpretation of Spider-Man is that he will go to any lengths to do what he thinks is right, no matter how he may ruin his personal life or be criticized for it. If all his friends know that he is Spider-Man or can help him cover for it, then the stakes are greatly reduced.
    I agree that it raises the stakes, but if none of his friends know, then you run the danger of repeating the same story over and over again until Peter lacks a social circle entirely. Now, I'm not saying everyone in his life should know. Heck, MOST of the people in his life should not know. But it does make it more interesting if there is a small number, five at most, who know. Though, the only people I'd really want is MJ, Aunt May, and (if he's included) Ned.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Ah, but by having MJ know, and have a few heroes as allies, then he has a support system in play. How much of a support system is, I suppose, of personal taste. I do think that it should be small, though. Only a few friends and maybe Aunt May. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon went way overboard.

I agree that it raises the stakes, but if none of his friends know, then you run the danger of repeating the same story over and over again until Peter lacks a social circle entirely. Now, I'm not saying everyone in his life should know. Heck, MOST of the people in his life should not know. But it does make it more interesting if there is a small number, five at most, who know. Though, the only people I'd really want is MJ, Aunt May, and (if he's included) Ned.
    Oh, I guess I mostly agree there. Personally, I wouldn't want Aunt May to know until Peter became an adult (since Peter having to sneak in and out while living with Aunt May was a great dynamic when he was still in school), but I guess one or two is fine. My preference would have been for no one to know in high school, and then MJ to find out while Peter is in college.