Page 54 of 184 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Of course Anya finds Peter annoying. Being friends, or co-workers, or anything with him would be infuriating. If he shows up at all, he's late; if you need him to do something, he almost certainly won't do it; he's always running out to do something and never explaining why; plus he probably smells bad, like smoke and sewers and sweat. Obviously we, the audience, are rooting for him, because we know he's Spider-Man. For anybody who doesn't know this, he's the world's biggest flake.
    Most of Peter's loved ones get used to his perceived flakiness and no longer get mad at him all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Of course Anya finds Peter annoying. Being friends, or co-workers, or anything with him would be infuriating. If he shows up at all, he's late; if you need him to do something, he almost certainly won't do it; he's always running out to do something and never explaining why; plus he probably smells bad, like smoke and sewers and sweat. Obviously we, the audience, are rooting for him, because we know he's Spider-Man. For anybody who doesn't know this, he's the world's biggest flake.
    I think it's fair that she be annoyed by how flaky Peter can seem but it seems like she's had it out for him ever since he messed with her experiment in the first episode (even though it saved lives).
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I'm still enjoying this show. It's funny how Anya and Miles are always together in this, I don't think they have ever interacted in the books.
    I think this is definitely the most Peter and Anya have ever interacted with each other.
    Was that red head in the coffee shop MJ?
    I think they showed her twice
    I feel like there've been some random redheads since the origin shorts. One of them had a kid .

I've also spotted a kid in Sandman's clothes but he's confirmed to be one of the villains they haven't de-aged (since he has a daughter).

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I'm still enjoying this show. It's funny how Anya and Miles are always together in this, I don't think they have ever interacted in the books.
    They have met. Spider-Verse. Nothing since Miles came over to 616 though, largely because Anya's been travelling the multiverse with the Web Warriors.

If they're not going to give Anya a book or a team, maybe Bendis could put her in Miles's book? It's really odd that they're pushing her in the show when she's currently in comic book limbo!

Does anyone else feel like the CGI in many scenes look better than the animation?

By the way, I think that Black Cat episode was the best yet. It was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Does anyone else feel like the CGI in many scenes look better than the animation?
    I think the CG looks better compared to other Marvel cartoons, definitely .

By the way, I think that Black Cat episode was the best yet. It was very good.
    I really enjoyed that one too .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Pulling off that kind of character can be difficult. That kind of rough character that is hard to warm up to. And I don't think they're pulling it off with Anya. Maybe that could change. But as of right now, I wouldn't miss her if she were to disappear from the series.
    The main problem with this -and USM- is that they really like to push the team aspect... and yet, this isn't a team series. This is a Spider-Man series were he happens to be part of a team. So every other team member ends up being underdeveloped, or it takes it sweet time to get there. Look at USM, where Luke was kinda there, Sam never really grow from being an ass, and Ava didn't got a focus episode that rounded her character until the second season (and of course, by season three they were dropped in favor of the Web Warriors).

Compare them to actual team series like Teen Titans or Young Justice, or mind you, even Power Rangers/Super Sentai, were they are all the protagonists. Sure, there's at least one "main" lead, but all the characters count, and a good production team would try to give them as much equal screen time as possible (is generally agreed among PR/SS fans that the least liked seasons are the ones that are all about the red ranger). In here and USM, any other character is second to Peter. So we get shallow glimpses of Anya, but we don't really get more of her and everyone else, because she's not considered as important. I think they'll get there, but if they don't do it soon enough, it is true that viewers won't warm up to her.

Even Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends managed to pull the team aspect much better than USM and MSM have.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They have met. Spider-Verse.
    I mean, yeah they shared a couple of panels, but they never even talked to each other. I don't think they even know each others name.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If they're not going to give Anya a book or a team, maybe Bendis could put her in Miles's book? It's really odd that they're pushing her in the show when she's currently in comic book limbo!
    I dread the idea of her being Miles supporting character. I can already see the lazy love triangle Bendis would put her. I definitely think she'll be added to some team book, maybe with Miles and Gwen as team members too. NYCC is just one month away.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    The main problem with this -and USM- is that they really like to push the team aspect... and yet, this isn't a team series. This is a Spider-Man series were he happens to be part of a team. So every other team member ends up being underdeveloped, or it takes it sweet time to get there. Look at USM, where Luke was kinda there, Sam never really grow from being an ass, and Ava didn't got a focus episode that rounded her character until the second season (and of course, by season three they were dropped in favor of the Web Warriors).

Compare them to actual team series like Teen Titans or Young Justice, or mind you, even Power Rangers/Super Sentai, were they are all the protagonists. Sure, there's at least one "main" lead, but all the characters count, and a good production team would try to give them as much equal screen time as possible (is generally agreed among PR/SS fans that the least liked seasons are the ones that are all about the red ranger). In here and USM, any other character is second to Peter. So we get shallow glimpses of Anya, but we don't really get more of her and everyone else, because she's not considered as important. I think they'll get there, but if they don't do it soon enough, it is true that viewers won't warm up to her.

Even Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends managed to pull the team aspect much better than USM and MSM have.
    I agree with you completely. I don't think it's too late as we haven't even seen our second Spider-Hero yet. But I wonder if this show was doomed from the start. That it came too soon after Ultimate Spider-Man.

After the premiere, I hardly see anybody talking about it beyond this message board. Maybe an occasional mention by someone at Marvel on Twitter. But for the most part I'm not seeing the kinds of discussions I saw around Gravity Falls or even see around the new Ducktales.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post

I really think this is the issue you get when you take a solo-centric hero and try and force him into a team-setting. You need to keep the focus and priority on the main character but you also need to incorporate other heroes but without detracting from the lead, so you might end up underselling both.

Of course, the writing is also obviously an important factor in things. Spidey's original team could have worked well on-paper, even with the oddity of a teenage Luke Cage and Iron Fist, but they were generally not written well over the course of the first two seasons of USM (their season 2 focus episodes generally being the exception).

The Web Warriors in season 4 were probably the team with the best writing but we also barely saw the whole team together across the entire season because Peter was so often either teaming-up with just one or two of them or being just on his own.

This show seems to be developing the team aspect by starting Spidey as a solo hero and establishing the other Spiders as supporting characters and building up to them becoming heroes, but whether the writers will be able to nail the execution or team dynamic (particularly when the focus will still ultimately be centered around Peter) remains to be seen.
    I agree with you completely. I don't think it's too late as we haven't even seen our second Spider-Hero yet. But I wonder if this show was doomed from the start. That it came too soon after Ultimate Spider-Man.

After the premiere, I hardly see anybody talking about it beyond this message board. Maybe an occasional mention by someone at Marvel on Twitter. But for the most part I'm not seeing the kinds of discussions I saw around Gravity Falls or even see around the new Ducktales.
    I generally don't see a lot of major interest in the Marvel cartoons ever since the transition from Spectacular and Earth's Mightiest Heroes into the Loeb era, where a lot of interest seemed to drop off because of what was perceived to be a severe drop in quality.

Even later on when the production quality improved somewhat I don't think the reputation for the Marvel cartoons recovered after that, so most people aren't all that enthused about talking about them. At least that's how I see it.

But I have seen some tweets and twitter pages dedicated to discussing news about the show, though I'm not all that versed in the goings on of Twitter so it might be a distinct minority.

Although I'm not sure if coming too soon after Ultimate Spider-Man is what might be hurting the series. Batman used to have cartoon after cartoon for years and they never seemed to hurt each other.

Of course it also might depend on the project. I think there's going to be a lot of interest in the upcoming "Panther's Quest" series spinning out of Avengers Assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I generally don't see a lot of major interest in the Marvel cartoons ever since the transition from Spectacular and Earth's Mightiest Heroes into the Loeb era, where a lot of interest seemed to drop off because of what was perceived to be a severe drop in quality.

Even later on when the production quality improved somewhat I don't think the reputation for the Marvel cartoons recovered after that, so most people aren't all that enthused about talking about them. At least that's how I see it.

But I have seen some tweets and twitter pages dedicated to discussing news about the show, though I'm not all that versed in the goings on of Twitter so it might be a distinct minority.

Although I'm not sure if coming too soon after Ultimate Spider-Man is what might be hurting the series. Batman used to have cartoon after cartoon for years and they never seemed to hurt each other.

Of course it also might depend on the project. I think there's going to be a lot of interest in the upcoming "Panther's Quest" series spinning out of Avengers Assemble.
    That might be a big part of it. It's not pulling in a periphery demographic as other shows such as Gravity Falls did or Ducktales is seeming to (of course Ducktales has high nostalgic brand awareness.)

Edit: I'm looking at Disney XD's youtube page. The new cast singing the theme song has 5.2 million views. A first look at Ducktales has 5.1 million views. The new opening theme has 2.9 million views. And the series premiere has 2.5 million views.

New Spidey's got some clips up there. Origin 1 has 2.7 million views. Origin 2 has 2 million views. Origin 3 has 1.3 million views. Origin 6 has 1.2 million views. Origin 5 and 4 have 1 million views. And Horizon High part 1 has 434k views.

Edit 2: To be even fairer, some of these videos have been on much longer. As of this post the Ducktales cast singing the theme song was uploaded 8 months ago and the Ducktales first look was 6 months ago. The new Ducktales theme was uploaded 2 months ago. The Spider-Man Origin shorts were uploaded 1-2 months ago. The Ducktales premiere was uploaded 3 weeks ago. And Horizon High Part 1 was uploaded 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-06-2017 at 06:27 PM.

That might be a big part of it. It's not pulling in a periphery demographic as other shows such as Gravity Falls did or Ducktales is seeming to (of course Ducktales has high nostalgic brand awareness.)
    I mean, the current Marvel cartoons definitely skew more for just kids (especially boys) rather then in a way to appeal to both kids and adults, like the shows you mentioned, which might also be a factor.

Although compared to the Loeb era I think we've seen at least a little improvement on that front.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    You know, I think the show would look better if they went all out and made the characters in the same cel-shaded type of CGI as the cars, backgrounds, the Spider Slayer, and the...janitor bucket. The series would have stood out more visually compared to the other marvel toons they have on at the moment. and the characters wouldn't clash so much with the objects and the backgrounds as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know, I think the show would look better if they went all out and made the characters in the same cel-shaded type of CGI as the cars, backgrounds, the Spider Slayer, and the...janitor bucket. The series would have stood out more visually compared to the other marvel toons they have on at the moment. and the characters wouldn't clash so much with the objects and the backgrounds as much.
    I'd be totally down for a CG Spider-Man cartoon, though that would be with the hope that the CG looked good .

Something like the current Ninja Turtles cartoon on Nick would be cool...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Something like the current Ninja Turtles cartoon on Nick would be cool...
    I must be one of the only people who can't stand that show. It's tonally all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I must be one of the only people who can't stand that show. It's tonally all over the place.
    Well, I guess that's what you get when you combine the humor and fun of the 80's cartoon with the storylines and action of the comics and 2k3 cartoon .

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Really? I think it's the best TMNT show to date. Granted, it was my introduction to the franchise, so I'm extremely biased. However, I liked how the show had a balance of comedy and drama. The previous two shows went to one extreme over the other rather than hitting the sweet spot betwee (and I would argue that the show is funnier than the '80s cartoon and does drama better than the 2k3 one did). Fair enough if you don't like it though.

So, yeah, a Spider-Man show like the 2012 TMNT show would be a-okay with me, esp. since Spider-Man is a generally lighthearted franchise that also does serious drama.