Page 56 of 184 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I really wonder how they decide which characters to de-age and which ones remain adults. It's only the beginning but it seems kinda random so far.
    Well, the characters they haven't de-aged generally seem to be for practical purposes since they're parental figures who can't really be too young. The only exception to this so far is Vulture, but I guess they didn't want Spidey to start out fighting another teen version of Vulture.

Everyone else seems to be fair game.

I still don't get why we needed a teen Doc Ock.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the characters they haven't de-aged generally seem to be for practical purposes since they're parental figures who can't really be too young. The only exception to this so far is Vulture, but I guess they didn't want Spidey to start out fighting another teen version of Vulture.

I'm not even sure if he is a teen. Sure, he looks like one. But he sure doesn't act like one, at all. And he's also a professor. What is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I'm not even sure if he is a teen. Sure, he looks like one. But he sure doesn't act like one, at all. And he's also a professor. What is going on here?
    Doogie Howser .

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Yeah, this is my major gripe with the series so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    He's probably only recently started teaching at the school, having just got his degree. I'd guess early 20s. A lot of people that age still look like teens.

So that would mean he's still deaged - he's usually quite a bit older than Peter, who is nearly 30 in the comics, but obviously, half that age here.

Mighty Member

Didn't they say that Otto was 17 in this series? Or is it like how they dealt with a couple villains they de-aged in Spectacular (Namely, Electro, Venom, and Molten Man) where while they are younger than their comics incarnations, they are still legally adults (18+) compared to Spidey's teenager. (Mark being held back a year because he was in Juvie, Eddie a college Freshman, and Max mentioning his plans of going back to college after his accident)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Didn't they say that Otto was 17 in this series? Or is it like how they dealt with a couple villains they de-aged in Spectacular (Namely, Electro, Venom, and Molten Man) where while they are younger than their comics incarnations, they are still legally adults (18+) compared to Spidey's teenager. (Mark being held back a year because he was in Juvie, Eddie a college Freshman, and Max mentioning his plans of going back to college after his accident)
    I'm wondering if Black Cat is 18-19 like in Spec.

She didn't look that much older then Spidey.

That would be somewhat unconventional. It seems like in most adaptations about teen Spidey, she stays an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That would be somewhat unconventional. It seems like in most adaptations about teen Spidey, she stays an adult.
    I think Ultimate (the comic) is really the only time this was the case.

Although she was legally an adult in Spec at least, but still a teenager.

You can never tell in animation.

This is Bulma's sister Tights in an episode of Dragon Ball Super. She's a regular human. And she's in her 50s at this point, but she certainly doesn't look it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    You can never tell in animation.

This is Bulma's sister Tights in an episode of Dragon Ball Super. She's a regular human. And she's in her 50s at this point, but she certainly doesn't look it.
    True, though I think the fact that she was of a similar build and height to Spider-Man implies that she's probably not that much older then him.

Astonishing Member

I think in general Spidey's Rogues Gallery was very effectively introduced and showcased in Spec, especially compared to other cartoons (even the 90's show) and their development into their villain roles was very well-handled.

What makes you think Spec was insular, especially given all the sub-plots and character arcs that the entire cast had over the course of the show?

I'm also not sure what you mean by a "ceiling that was named Spider-Man/Peter Parker." Are you saying that because they were not developed as well or as much as Peter was, or that they ultimately always served Peter's story?

Obviously I can't compare the entirety of Spec to 3 episodes of a new cartoon, but even judging it by the first 3-episode arc of Spec I'd still stand by my opinion. But that's just me.

I expect we'll see some development with Shocker but I still think they could've done better with the two of them in this episode. Like actually making them seem like distinct characters, in personality at least.
    Been awhile since this post, but I simply feel, in hindsight, that most of them that weren't Peter had a tendency to come off as extraneous, and not necessarily in an expounding on and "helps you appreciate the world as a whole" kind of way. The ceiling comment was indeed referring to Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What the heck? Rhino is a TMNT style mutant instead of a man in a costume?
    That's not a new concept for Rhino, though. Hasn't been for a while.

Though it was really weird that she and Spidey never once flirted in this episode, though Cat wasn't really interested in him until after he had caught her at the end. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Marvel Animation is really averse to any kind of romance in their cartoons. She never even really called him "Spider" once in the entire episode.
    Maybe it's just me, but "That poor horsey! Leave it be!"

So a teenage Aleksei Sytevich (voiced by Matthew Mercer of all people) is attending Horizon High with Peter Parker and gets turned into a mutant Rhino with a giant jaw. Okay, this is starting to get ridiculous .
    I genuinely don't see what's ridiculous about it.

Why were the kids so against a dance? I get that they're scientists, but they're still teenagers. Do they not know how to have any non-science based fun?
    I don't see why it's mandatory for kids to be into that kind of stuff (I, for one, wasn't). Kinda cliche to go about it like that. Really, the show doing it that way and avoiding the typical teen cliche (and I mean it's a cliche), or at least showcasing that there might be teens out there who aren't into that stuff and are not wrong for not being, was refreshing in my eyes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Where exactly on Disney XD are the full episodes? So far, all I can find are clips, many from Ultimate Spider-Man.
    I'm not familiar at all with it, but there's a chance that you may need an account/a cable TV provider of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by incarnati0n View Post
    Have been enjoying the series although, why are they already going to introduce the symbiote so early? Peter is still in his early days as apider-man so it makes no sense.
    From a closed perspective, maybe, but I disagree about it not making any sense. It's not the first time that the Symbiote is introduced respectively early. On another note, for writers wishing to use it, they aren't going to have compunctions about waiting around for an arbitrary time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Of course Anya finds Peter annoying. Being friends, or co-workers, or anything with him would be infuriating. If he shows up at all, he's late; if you need him to do something, he almost certainly won't do it; he's always running out to do something and never explaining why; plus he probably smells bad, like smoke and sewers and sweat. Obviously we, the audience, are rooting for him, because we know he's Spider-Man. For anybody who doesn't know this, he's the world's biggest flake.
    Bingo! Hit the nail on the head.

Being friends and sometimes even acquaintances with Peter Parker is an exercise in suffering for the other party. It's easy to forget that due to Pete being the hero we generally are intended to sympathize with, but looking at it from the other side, unbiasedly, reactions of "Peter's a frustrating flake" are entirely valid, and technically, accurate. It's the trade-off of heroes who keep secret identities and who lie to those closest to them.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, this is my major gripe with the series so far.
    I'm confused at to why that's even gripe-worth in the first place, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He's probably only recently started teaching at the school, having just got his degree. I'd guess early 20s. A lot of people that age still look like teens.

So that would mean he's still deaged - he's usually quite a bit older than Peter, who is nearly 30 in the comics, but obviously, half that age here.
    Bold is very true.

I notice a lot of people don't realize this. It's a kind of "reality is unrealistic" kind of deal. In fact, this is why in live-action series, a lot of times, 20 somethings, and even early 30 somethings, will often be cast to play teenagers, and generally get away with doing so successfully.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-12-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Yeah - Power Rangers is infamous for that trope. Dawsons Casting, TV Tropes calls it, because Dawson's Creek did it as well.