Page 58 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    So...yeah. Just finished the Symbiote episode. It was the worst portrayal of the Symbiote Saga yet. Yes, that is including Spider-Man 3.

At least I have Spectacular on DVD.
    In Sandman, liked the way Miles, Anya, and Gwen dressed down Flash after he called them nerds. Practically calling him an over grown baby.

Anyone else feel like Flash's involvement in anything feels really forced? With him barely interacting with Peter at all it honestly feels pointless to have the symbiote bond with him, truthfully he's not even really mean or anything he just seems a bit "forward" if that makes sense.

Quick thoughts on today's episodes.

Sandman.

This is probably the most tolerable Anya has ever been on this show.

Welcome back, Flash Thompson.

The Horizon students are pulling off comic book genius a little too easily.

Hammerhead. Honestly didn't expect him.

That Sandman/Sandgirl fight seemed a bit more... intense, I guess, than I would have expected.

"Mrs. Watson" name drop from Peter. (That was this one, right? Three episodes in a row and things kind of blur together.)

Symbiotic Relationship.

It's really hard to pull off the Symbiote story in half an hour. This one should have been given an extra episode or something.

Vulture for first recurring villain. I wonder why.

Stark Expo.

Stark acted like he never heard of Ghost when Peter was blabbing on and on. Then he acts like Ghost is one of his arch-enemies.

I know this isn't the fault of the production team because they don't control when these episodes air, but after Peter putting the symbiote on again literally just after he pulled it off? The hell? It was definitely on the production team to have Peter put on the symbiote in the episode after he took it off...

The symbiote reaching for Flash. Foreshadowing or Easter egg?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    So...yeah. Just finished the Symbiote episode. It was the worst portrayal of the Symbiote Saga yet. Yes, that is including Spider-Man 3.

At least I have Spectacular on DVD.
    If you never thought you'd see a goofier take on Peter with the Symbiote then Spider-Man 3, prepare to be wrong .

It also felt off that we didn't see Spidey use the bell tower to get the Symbiote off. That's like a staple of the Black Suit storyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Anyone else feel like Flash's involvement in anything feels really forced? With him barely interacting with Peter at all it honestly feels pointless to have the symbiote bond with him, truthfully he's not even really mean or anything he just seems a bit "forward" if that makes sense.
    I'm really not sure if I can buy Flash as any form of classic Venom, but they're probably just going to make him Venom so they can get another Spider-Person out of Agent Venom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Quick thoughts on today's episodes.

Sandman.

This is probably the most tolerable Anya has ever been on this show.
    Which isn't saying much, though I like when Peter brought up in "Stark Expo" how she never greets him nicely.

Welcome back, Flash Thompson.
    It's weird that Flash Thompson went from a namedrop, a cameo, to increasingly more meaningful role in future episodes. Almost like they were building up to something...

Though it's nice to have a version of Flash that actually resembles Flash. But why does he look so much like Race Bannon, and what's with that scar on his eye .

The Horizon students are pulling off comic book genius a little too easily.
    I guess we know why the kids were against the dance last episode, none of them know how to have fun without science .

Though I have to wonder why Max would give access to a dangerous, unknown, substance to a bunch of teenagers. It's like he was asking for it to get lost.

Hammerhead. Honestly didn't expect him.
    I know he was mentioned in a plot description and in an interview. I was not expecting him to be voiced by Jim Cummings.

Though I guess he must not have any invulnerability since some small debris hitting him actually gave him a black eye. That's different.

That Sandman/Sandgirl fight seemed a bit more... intense, I guess, than I would have expected.
    Well, she apparently straight-up killed her dad (though I doubt he's dead) with no remorse. That's as intense as a it gets.

I've fancasted Travis Willingham as Sandman before so it was awesome to hear him in the role, even if they made him more sympathetic and less of an outright villain so Keemia could be the more traditional Sandman character.

And of course she's super-smart on-top of that.

"Mrs. Watson" name drop from Peter. (That was this one, right? Three episodes in a row and things kind of blur together.)
    Yes.

Also seems like Aunt May is afraid of Spider-Man here, so I'm wondering if they'll go anywhere with that...

Symbiotic Relationship.

It's really hard to pull off the Symbiote story in half an hour. This one should have been given an extra episode or something.
    This is definitely the shortest it's ever been in a cartoon, unless we're counting those episodes of USM where Harry became Venom or the Symbiote's debut.

Vulture for first recurring villain. I wonder why.
    Technically that's the Spider-Slayer. I was not expecting them to make Alistair into Teen Vulture.

It was nice seeing Toomes out-of-suit though.
    Stark Expo.

Stark acted like he never heard of Ghost when Peter was blabbing on and on. Then he acts like Ghost is one of his arch-enemies.
    I guess when Peter mentioned "Ghost" he just didn't assume it was his Ghost.

I know this isn't the fault of the production team because they don't control when these episodes air, but after Peter putting the symbiote on again literally just after he pulled it off? The hell? It was definitely on the production team to have Peter put on the symbiote in the episode after he took it off...
    Well, they'd been building up to the Stark Expo in the first two episodes so I guess it kind of makes sense to have the Symbiote storyline and the Expo combine into some kind of climax, and Peter had a sensible reason to use the Symbiote again here.

Plus, him beating the tar out of Ghost with the Symbiote was pretty awesome.

The symbiote reaching for Flash. Foreshadowing or Easter egg?
    Well, we've got an episode titled "Venom" in October, the Symbiote touched Flash like it did Spidey, and so far the show seems to be trying to build up Flash as a character (if not to the extent of Brock or Flash in past cartoons).

I'd mention the fact that he's voiced by a former Venom VA, but that just makes it all seem too on-the-nose.

They also seem to be setting up Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's weird that Flash Thompson went from a namedrop, a cameo, to increasingly more meaningful role in future episodes. Almost like they were building up to something...
    So if they add MJ as Spinneret, the guys still gotta outnumber the girls on this show. (Peter, Miles, Miguel, and Flash representing the guys, Gwen, Anya, and MJ representing the girls.)

I guess we know why the kids were against the dance last episode, none of them know how to have fun without science .
    You ever play the Ace Attorney games? Are you familiar with Ema Skye? Ema Skye was not this cartoonishly zealous about SCIENCE!!! (Which is saying a lot.)

Though I have to wonder why Max would give access to a dangerous, unknown, substance to a bunch of teenagers. It's like he was asking for it to get lost.
    Max is (not so) secretly a terrible mentor.

I know he was mentioned in a plot description and in an interview. I was not expecting him to be voiced by Jim Cummings.
    I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the anvil that falls on your head when you try to catch a roadrunner! I am Darkwing Duck!

(Wait, wrong show! And wrong animation company!)

Though I guess he must not have any invulnerability since some small debris hitting him actually gave him a black eye. That's different.
    I noticed that too. Maybe they're waiting to give Hammerhead powers?

Well, she apparently straight-up killed her dad (though I doubt he's dead) with no remorse. That's as intense as a it gets.
    I've read the works of Mohiro Kitoh. I'm used to some pretty intense stuff in my fiction (like, the kind of stuff that makes Game of Thrones seem family friendly.) But for Disney XD, it felt more intense than I expected.

I've fancasted Travis Willingham as Sandman before so it was awesome to hear him in the role, even if they made him more sympathetic and less of an outright villain so Keemia could be the more traditional Sandman character.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdbR0jnfvQ

Yes.

Also seems like Aunt May is afraid of Spider-Man here, so I'm wondering if they'll go anywhere with that...
    Another reason for Peter to keep his ID secret. Aunt May doesn't like his alter ego.

This is definitely the shortest it's ever been in a cartoon, unless we're counting those episodes of USM where Harry became Venom or the Symbiote's debut.
    Could have used a bit more breathing room here. But that's just my opinion.

Technically that's the Spider-Slayer. I was not expecting them to make Alistair into Teen Vulture.
    They're robots!

It was nice seeing Toomes out-of-suit though.
    He didn't really look like Michael Keaton.

I guess when Peter mentioned "Ghost" he just didn't assume it was his Ghost.
    Felt weird. It would be like if somebody mentioned some kind of Lizard creature to Peter and he didn't think of his Lizard.

Well, they'd been building up to the Stark Expo in the first two episodes so I guess it kind of makes sense to have the Symbiote storyline and the Expo combine into some kind of climax, and Peter had a sensible reason to use the Symbiote again here.
    There should have been a longer break between "this thing is dangerous and must never be used" to "I must use this thing again!"

Plus, him beating the tar out of Ghost with the Symbiote was pretty awesome.
    Can't really argue that.

Well, we've got an episode titled "Venom" in October, the Symbiote touched Flash like it did Spidey, and so far the show seems to be trying to build up Flash as a character (if not to the extent of Brock or Flash in past cartoons).

I'd mention the fact that he's voiced by a former Venom VA, but that just makes it all seem too on-the-nose.

They also seem to be setting up Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus as well.
    They're continuing their Goblin and Ock stories that I didn't feel the need to mention them. It's not the start of those stories, nor have they reached their payoffs.

So I guess no Eddie Brock in this show, eh?

So if they add MJ as Spinneret, the guys still gotta outnumber the girls on this show. (Peter, Miles, Miguel, and Flash representing the guys, Gwen, Anya, and MJ representing the girls.)
    I wonder how long before 2099 shows up.

Maybe Flash and MJ can be the non-science members of Team Spidey ?

You ever play the Ace Attorney games? Are you familiar with Ema Skye? Ema Skye was not this cartoonishly zealous about SCIENCE!!! (Which is saying a lot.)
    I have. I've also read the FF and even I don't think they're as zealous or in-your-face about science, which is saying something.

Max is (not so) secretly a terrible mentor.
    It was nice to see some flaws pop up for Max in the Stark Expo.

I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the anvil that falls on your head when you try to catch a roadrunner! I am Darkwing Duck!

(Wait, wrong show! And wrong animation company!)
    This feels totally topical with Darkwing's upcoming appearance in Ducktales .

I noticed that too. Maybe they're waiting to give Hammerhead powers?
    Maybe. It's weird to think we might have a version of Hammerhead that can't actually take on Spider-Man.

I've read the works of Mohiro Kitoh. I'm used to some pretty intense stuff in my fiction (like, the kind of stuff that makes Game of Thrones seem family friendly.) But for Disney XD, it felt more intense than I expected.
    Honestly, with some of the stuff I've seen on XD shows and the current Marvel cartoons (Cough) Mantis (Cough), it didn't surprise me.

It does go with everything .

Another reason for Peter to keep his ID secret. Aunt May doesn't like his alter ego.
    Well, since most of the main cast is probably going to learn his ID at some point, it would be good to at least give him some reason to keep it a secret going forward.

Could have used a bit more breathing room here. But that's just my opinion.
    I agree.

They're robots!
    Well, there's also the Jackal...

He didn't really look like Michael Keaton.
    Liz is also obviously not Laura Harrier and Flash is definitely not Tony Revolori.

Jury's still out on Mary Jane and Zendaya though...

Felt weird. It would be like if somebody mentioned some kind of Lizard creature to Peter and he didn't think of his Lizard.
    True, though speaking of which I wonder how long before Connors pops up?

There should have been a longer break between "this thing is dangerous and must never be used" to "I must use this thing again!"
    I don't disagree.

So I guess no Eddie Brock in this show, eh?
    It's kind of weird that they'd have a different Venom on this show as they're starting to really push Brock again, but given Slott created Agent Venom and it gives them another Spider-Hero to market...

I just realized part of why Flash felt so forced, there was no reason for him to be at the Stark Expo other than to come into contact with the symbiote. I thought it was a place for schools to show off their best and brightest and Midtown sends Flash with a paper mache volcano and he can't even properly pronounce what it's made of. Since Peter and Harry left that's the best they have? Their standardized teat scores must be horrendous if Flash is the best they have now their government funding must be nothing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder how long before 2099 shows up.

Maybe Flash and MJ can be the non-science members of Team Spidey ?
    You will get Brainy Janey and you will like it!

I have. I've also read the FF and even I don't think they're as zealous or in-your-face about science, which is saying something.
    I only brought up Ema Skye because she was rather zealous about her love of SCIENCE!!! (And also because the whole reason she was created in the first place was to tie into Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney's theme about not being able to live out your dreams. AJ:AA was a pretty cynical game, deep down. Easy to see why it is so divisive among Ace Attorney fans.)

Maybe. It's weird to think we might have a version of Hammerhead that can't actually take on Spider-Man.
    Hammerhead's usually kind of a joke mobster villain anyway.

Honestly, with some of the stuff I've seen on XD shows and the current Marvel cartoons (Cough) Mantis (Cough), it didn't surprise me.
    I'm not saying I thought it was SUPER intense. Just a bit more than I would have expected from XD. But until the day when a little girl goes on a very violent murder spree, I'll still say it's nothing.

Well, since most of the main cast is probably going to learn his ID at some point, it would be good to at least give him some reason to keep it a secret going forward.
    Are we expecting Max to connect the dots at some point? I half expected Tony Stark to blurt out that he knew.

Well, there's also the Jackal...
    Jackal was more like a character in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Given minor screen time in one episode before taking the spotlight in a later episode.

Liz is also obviously not Laura Harrier and Flash is definitely not Tony Revolori.

Jury's still out on Mary Jane and Zendaya though...
    Give the way this show is? I would be very surprised if we didn't have red haired Mary Jane calling Peter "Tiger." (Even with the Marvel cartoons lacking in the romance department, MJ calling Peter "Tiger" is a thing she does. And it will be portrayed platonically.)

True, though speaking of which I wonder how long before Connors pops up?
    Do we expect him as a replacement teacher at Horizon? Or will he work for Norman?

It's kind of weird that they'd have a different Venom on this show as they're starting to really push Brock again, but given Slott created Agent Venom and it gives them another Spider-Hero to market...
    I kind of expected Ultimate Eddie Brock. Since he was also big into SCIENCE (kinda not really but that wouldn't be unexpected for the show's purposes.) But I guess we're going with Flash again.

I just realized part of why Flash felt so forced, there was no reason for him to be at the Stark Expo other than to come into contact with the symbiote. I thought it was a place for schools to show off their best and brightest and Midtown sends Flash with a paper mache volcano and he can't even properly pronounce what it's made of. Since Peter and Harry left that's the best they have? Their standardized teat scores must be horrendous if Flash is the best they have now their government funding must be nothing now.
    Seemed like he showed up (in-universe) so he could bully Peter a little more. But yeah, he was definitely there to come in contact with the symbiote.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Amazing Member

They're not making Max Modell as good as mentor as I wanted him to be in this show. I wish there were more scenes of him giving life advice to Peter that helps him in his personal life. Peter called Max his Idol but the show hasn't shown why he idolizes him except that he created a school for geniuses.

Not to mention Smythe left for Osborn Academy.

It would've been nice to see Liz and Randy again...
    You will get Brainy Janey and you will like it!
    No I won't .

Hammerhead's usually kind of a joke mobster villain anyway.
    I've thought he was pretty cool since the 90's show .

It's nice to see Spidey fighting crime bosses though.

I'm not saying I thought it was SUPER intense. Just a bit more than I would have expected from XD. But until the day when a little girl goes on a very violent murder spree, I'll still say it's nothing.
    Fair enough.

Are we expecting Max to connect the dots at some point? I half expected Tony Stark to blurt out that he knew.
    Max didn't seem to make any connection between Spidey's Black Suit and Peter having the Symbiote so I doubt he's going to connect the dots.

But if he does it'll probably be like the comics where he just assumes Peter build Spidey his tech.

I was expecting Tony to dedicate the autograph to Spider-Man but then he got Peter's name wrong. Classic Tony .

Jackal was more like a character in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Given minor screen time in one episode before taking the spotlight in a later episode.
    I wouldn't say he got minor screentime in his debut episode though.

Give the way this show is? I would be very surprised if we didn't have red haired Mary Jane calling Peter "Tiger." (Even with the Marvel cartoons lacking in the romance department, MJ calling Peter "Tiger" is a thing she does. And it will be portrayed platonically.)
    I'm expecting that as well.

Do we expect him as a replacement teacher at Horizon? Or will he work for Norman?
    It'd be weird to see him at Osborn Academy but I guess they could make him into an old friend of Max's.

I wonder if they'll connect the Lizard mutation to the genetic experiments Jackal was doing?

I also wonder if we'll see Billy and Martha, though I doubt it.

I kind of expected Ultimate Eddie Brock. Since he was also big into SCIENCE (kinda not really but that wouldn't be unexpected for the show's purposes.) But I guess we're going with Flash again.
    Well, of course the show would lean more into a SCIENCE take, but yeah it definitely seems like Flash will be Venom.

If we ever get Brock I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes Anti-Venom since that was a Slott/Wacker thing.

Seemed like he showed up (in-universe) so he could bully Peter a little more. But yeah, he was definitely there to come in contact with the symbiote.
    Well, more like off-screen bullying. Here he was basically just ribbing Peter and the Horizon gang.

BANNED

Jim Cummings also voiced Ghost

I'm liking the long game with the Goblins and Doc Ock

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Jim Cummings also voiced Ghost

I'm liking the long game with the Goblins and Doc Ock
    Yep. He's been the voice of Ghost since Avengers: Ultron Revolution .

Since last year then.

I wonder if part of the impetus for Osborn Academy getting a "Vulture Force" (the Vulturions?) is so the other Spiders have something to do while Spidey goes mano-a-mano with the Goblin?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I liked these 3 episodes a lot, with Stark Expo being my favourite (I really liked how it showed Spidey being willing to endanger himself by taking the symbiote back so that he could save people). I really enjoyed the more sympathetic portrayal of Sandman as well, but I wasn't a fan of Keemia becoming an evil Sand-Girl, though my opinion could change based on future episodes. The only thing that I felt was really stupid was Max giving the V-252 to a bunch of teenagers to analyze (and letting them take it around off campus) instead of doing it himself or at least supervising them in a proper lab. I didn't really like the designs of the Iron Man armors either, tbh. But overall, I'm definitely enjoying this show! I'm really interested in the overarching story they're having with Osborn's tech hoarding and stuff, and how that leads to the Goblin (we've got the tech, but no sign of anyone working on the Goblin formula).