Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Sigourney Weaver joins the Defenders

Apparently she's playing the villain. What are your thoughts: who could she be playing? Will she be involved with the Hand?

I couldn't even begin to speculate. All I know is that this is a dope casting.

BANNED

Don't know who she'll be playing (some rumors floating around of her playing a female Mephisto), but regardless, she's the most badass actress in history so I'm sure she'll pull it off.

Agreed, on both counts. She's a legend, so glad she's joining the MCU. But....who the hell could she be playing, and does this mean the Hand/Black Sky thread is being tabled?

Having Sigourney as a major player in the Hand could help move that group away from the 'all Asians are bad guys, plus they're all ninjas' trope some found problematic with the group in DD S2.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Agreed, on both counts. She's a legend, so glad she's joining the MCU. But....who the hell could she be playing, and does this mean the Hand/Black Sky thread is being tabled?

Having Sigourney as a major player in the Hand could help move that group away from the 'all Asians are bad guys, plus they're all ninjas' trope some found problematic with the group in DD S2.
    Wow, those people complain about the dumbest things.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    Don't know who she'll be playing (some rumors floating around of her playing a female Mephisto), but regardless, she's the most badass actress in history so I'm sure she'll pull it off.
    You know, I've seen the rumours about Mephisto being the big bad, but didn't put much stock in them given the threat of the Hand.

But Weaver as a female Mephisto, maybe the driving force behind the Black Sky? I could see it.

So many possibilities, all exciting because of the awesomeness of Sigourney.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I want the Hand to stay a Daredevil or maybe an Iron Fist thing. I'm not interested in seeing Jessica and Luke take on undead ninjas. The Hand being involved will likely being in Elektra which I definitely don't want.

Ultimate Member

Some have speculated that she might be playing a gender-swapped version of The Beast (the demon that The Hand serves/gives them their powers). Maybe Monica Rappaccini since illegal experimentation seems to be a recurring thing in these shows?

Whomever she's playing, she's awesome and I'm glad that the main villain is a female (unless there's a swerve coming, which I hope not).

Hmm, that sounds interesting, but also too much like the Black Sky (which people have also speculated is the Beast).

I love that Netflix Marvel is obviously just going for good actors. Good idea to announce her first so that we can be happy that there's a great actress involved instead of having the announcement marred by a bunch of griping about how she's not right to play so-and-so.

Besides, anyone who knows Defenders history knows she's obviously playing Vera Gemini... ("Into the hole, in which you planned to ditch me / My lovely Vera Gemini")
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-09-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Wrong. The Hand are Ninjas and must stay Ninjas. That is what is cool about them.

I wouldn't mind her being Madame Hydra, though.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, love DD, but that was a pretty big freakin' problem.

As for Weaver, one rumor is that she might be playing The Beast, the deity that The Hand worship. The Beast has taken on human form before when she possessed I think a politician or federal agent in a Miller-written Elektra mini from the '80s. If I'm remembering correctly, the person The Beast possessed was a man, but as her turn in Ghostbusters proved, male demons can possess pretty much anyone they want, man or woman.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-10-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Ruby Tuesday? Be a shame to obscure (eliminate) her face, but still.

Sandy Hausler

Spectacular Member

I was hoping that she was going to be Janet van Dyne.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I want the Hand to stay a Daredevil or maybe an Iron Fist thing. I'm not interested in seeing Jessica and Luke take on undead ninjas. The Hand being involved will likely being in Elektra which I definitely don't want.
    I want the Hand involved in JessiCA Jones just to they can resurrect Killgrave. Still unhappy they killed him off.