Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Nope.

We saw the French assassin Stick sent to kill Elektra. We saw the African American man Stick worked with before killing him to protect Elektra. We saw the two kids Elektra was training with as a kid before she killed the one later who attacked her. And we saw the two guys Elektra killed in the car before going after Stick.

By my count that's nine. Granted, Stone could've been Asian, but going by the show's track record so far, I'm not terribly hopeful.
    At this point, everyone from the Chaste only seems good by comparison with the Hand---they've all been stone killers and willing to kill each other as well. Matt certainly doesn't trust them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    At this point, everyone from the Chaste only seems good by comparison with the Hand---they've all been stone killers and willing to kill each other as well. Matt certainly doesn't trust them.
    That really doesn't address the issue.

BANNED

That really doesn't address the issue.
    And what exactly is the issue?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    And what exactly is the issue?
    That the only Asians on DD are evil.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I hope they do make Sigourney's character someone from canon as opposed to someone totally new created for the show.
    Have they ever had another kind of big bad in the MCU?

BANNED

That the only Asians on DD are evil.
    And?

Seems like liberal white people are the ones who have a problem with this sort of thing, not asians themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Have they ever had another kind of big bad in the MCU?
    Some of Agents of shields major characters

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Some of Agents of shields major characters
    Only Skye's mom comes to mind as canon-foreigner main villains. And Whitehall, I suppose.

Exactly

Diversity simply for the sake of diversity
    I hate that phrase. It's so dismissive of a genuine issue. It's a way to justify remaining ignorant and completely insensitive to something that's actually important to many people. Disagree, talk, debate, but to be SO dismissive with that fucking catchphrase only underscores the need for people to speak up or there will never be progress. That attitude is emblematic of those who would've told Rosa Parks to stay in the back of the bus and stop making a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I hate that phrase. It's so dismissive of a genuine issue. It's a way to justify remaining ignorant and completely insensitive to something that's actually important to many people. Disagree, talk, debate, but to be SO dismissive with that fucking catchphrase only underscores the need for people to speak up or there will never be progress. That attitude is emblematic of those who would've told Rosa Parks to stay in the back of the bus and stop making a fuss.

No, it really isn't. The two are so different that you're insulting the true heroes of the Civil Rights movement by comparing them. There is no law that prevents Asian American actors from playing heroes. There are two on Agents of SHIELD, actually. What you (well, what SOMEONE in this thread, I can't keep track of who) are objecting to is that
    a very insular and ancient society of ninjas from Japan has only Japanese people in it. That's it. The Chaste aren't necessarily from Japan or even Asia; they're simply people recruited to fight the Hand. The Chaste recruits all over, while the Hand seems not to. There doesn't need to be any racial component to that, but there's always a few people that want to see the world through their own politics-colored glasses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What genuine issues?

Fucking Hand ninjas in Daredevil being portrayed as Asians?

Please point me towards the asians who are up in arms over this...

Otherwise it's just you and the like trying to be some social justice warriors and giving yourselves a pat on the back.
    Last edited by Warmonger; 10-12-2016 at 05:13 AM.

Ultimate Member

Actually The Hand is a global organization, so the notion that they ALL must be Asian doesn't hold much water really. Some of them sure, but not all of them. And the issue some people have is simple, there are no other not-evil Asian characters on the show.

Being dismissive of it by claiming "well Asians not care" is a strawman argument, simple as that.

I think complaining about a lack of asian protagonits in media is valid.

But complaining about asian antagonists is silly.

In Daredevil there was an incredibly diverse array of ethnicities potrayed with the bad guys... as there SHOULD be. Could there be more diversity on the good guy side of things, sure. But the badguys side of it was handled just fine.

BANNED

What genuine issues?

Fucking Hand ninjas in Daredevil being portrayed as Asians?
    No, there being zero non-evil asians in a show where most of the villains are Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, there being zero non-evil asians in a show where most of the villains are Asian.
    Except, you know, Elektra. Who isn't actually Greek in the show, just adopted by a Greek family, and who's played by a half-Cambodian actress.