Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Except, you know, Elektra. Who isn't actually Greek in the show, just adopted by a Greek family, and who's played by a half-Cambodian actress.
    Elektra is more a villain than a hero in the show.

No, it really isn't. The two are so different that you're insulting the true heroes of the Civil Rights movement by comparing them. There is no law that prevents Asian American actors from playing heroes. There are two on Agents of SHIELD, actually. What you (well, what SOMEONE in this thread, I can't keep track of who) are objecting to is that
    a very insular and ancient society of ninjas from Japan has only Japanese people in it. That's it. The Chaste aren't necessarily from Japan or even Asia; they're simply people recruited to fight the Hand. The Chaste recruits all over, while the Hand seems not to. There doesn't need to be any racial component to that, but there's always a few people that want to see the world through their own politics-colored glasses.
    I was talking about the use of the phrase "diversity for diversity's sake" as a way to be totally dismissive of the issue of representation in media, I'm not specifically referring to the casting of Asians on "Daredevil." But I guess I can just say that some haven't had to deal with these issues since "when it's all white, it's alright."

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Elektra is more a villain than a hero in the show.
    Yet when someone said that about the Chaste, the reply by the people arguing that it was racist was that "compared to the Hand they're heroes." You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was talking about the use of the phrase "diversity for diversity's sake" as a way to be totally dismissive of the issue of representation in media, I'm not specifically referring to the casting of Asians on "Daredevil." But I guess I can just say that some haven't had to deal with these issues since "when it's all white, it's alright."
    Are you Asian American? If you are, what are some issues you've had to deal with?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I was talking about the use of the phrase "diversity for diversity's sake" as a way to be totally dismissive of the issue of representation in media
    It is that way a lot of the time I see it rear it's ugly head. I've seen people demand diversity when it makes no logical sense for it. Like what happened with Battlefield 1 were groups complained that there wasn't any female character in the multiplayer. Because you know, there were female frontline soldiers during World War 1, amrite? People complaining that there isn't any non-Japanese in a group of ninjas. Why is this a problem? It's to think it's not just complaining for complaining sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    People complaining that there isn't any non-Japanese in a group of ninjas. Why is this a problem? It's to think it's not just complaining for complaining sake.
    So what does that make complaining about people complaining? That's what I'm complaining about.

Are you Asian American? If you are, what are some issues you've had to deal with?
    If you've paid any attention to the issue we're discussing, then you'd know. You just don't empathize.

If you've paid any attention to the issue we're discussing, then you'd know. You just don't empathize.
    Are you saying that the supposed lack of Asian heroes in superhero movies is the only racism you've faced?

Are you saying that the supposed lack of Asian heroes in superhero movies is the only racism you've faced?
    Holy cow ... ok, goodbye.

BANNED

Seconded...

Dude, I asked you a serious question and you responded by talking about the lack of Asian superheroes. Good riddance.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

There are Asian superhero movies such as Gatchaman, Casshern, Ra.One, Silver Hawk and Black Mask.

I agree that the West isn't giving Asians enough opportunities to be leads in American movies. Andy Lau is a English speaking Asian film star that got a American agent back in the nineties. He said all the roles he got offered were terrible stereotypes so he just decided to stick to making films in Asia. He dropped out of the doctor role in Iron Man 3 which most people in China saw and said was weak pandering. He is in The Great Wall movie with Matt Damon.

People act Asian cinema doesn't exist though. Most people in Asia aren't complaining about Hollywood films because they have representation in their own regions films. Some Korean, Japanese, Indian and Chinese movies have also done pretty well internationally. I can perfectly understand why Asian Americans feel under-represented or denied opportunities as they have a legitimate cause to. As progressive as Hollywood makes it's self out to be it is still a very white male dominated and driven industry.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

I have no issue with SIGOURNEY WEAVER - I 'm certain she'll do a totally bad-ass villain .. I say its another great call

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    And?

Seems like liberal white people are the ones who have a problem with this sort of thing, not asians themselves.
    I'm an Asian. And I have a problem with it.