MaryleeReporter

Question Stolen Comic Books

Hi,

I'm Marylee, a freelance journalist. I'm looking into stories about the prevalence of comic book theft, how thieves sell stolen comic books and how collectors get their property back. I was hoping people would be willing to share some of their stories with me on this thread.

Thanks!

Marylee

Quote Originally Posted by MaryleeReporter View Post
    Hi,

I'm Marylee, a freelance journalist. I'm looking into stories about the prevalence of comic book theft, how thieves sell stolen comic books and how collectors get their property back. I was hoping people would be willing to share some of their stories with me on this thread.

Thanks!

Marylee
    Even back in the day - before the Internet - when a store was hit, thieves got caught quickly. It's a tight community and word got around. I suspect it's much easier to catch someone now because most dumbasses would put someone on eBay - the exact spot someone would look of their books are taken. That said I'm pretty sure ripping off comics isn't prevelant.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I recall back in the early '00s, it may have been 2001 or 2002, the LCS I frequented got hit. Their case of older Golden/Silver Age books got cleaned out.
    The owner sent pics and descriptions to every store and comic show runner he had contacts for in 4/5 states. Obviously he did this in addition to a police report.
    Within weeks the guys were caught trying to peddle them at comic show.
    I've only heard of one other high profile LCS theft since then(last year?).

Comics being stolen doesn't seem to be a frequent occurrence. You may struggle for material to make a story out of.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

This happens in Mexico as well. My LCS is a chain store that regularly posts pictures of people who have been caught in the act and banned from the stores. It's updated every month. Not sure how the thieves even have the idea of stealing, since it would have to be on plain sight. I can ask the clerks of my city if they have any anecdote or further information on these cases.

It's happened; but, usually as a robbery of a comic shop, which will be covered in local news outlets, and the odd collection that was robbed, like a story from a year or two ago, where a mentally challenged person had stuff stolen from his collection. people came together to replace what he lost. To me, that is the real story of this kind of things. The comic book community is really very small. When thefts occur, people rally to find the culprits and help replace loss, when it has happened to individuals. For all of the fan fights and trolling you see on the internet, the real community is made up of some really great, generous people. There is a bit of cutthroat mentality among dealers; but, not as much among the fans and collectors. Rivalries, maybe; but, little true animosity.

A bigger story would be the theft of artwork, while in the hands of publishers. Kirby's work was heavily pilfered while in the possession of Marvel, before they started returning artwork. There was artwork stolen from the unpublished Rick Veitch Swamp Thing storyline (where the character meets Jesus) . There were stories about the theft of original art at Now Comics (though that was a bit murky, as there were payment issues between the publisher and artists, so whether than was theft within the company or by the company, due to non-payment, is a bit muddled, in my memory).

If the comics stolen are high grade valuable comics, they are most likely "slabbed" i.e. graded by a professional grading service such as CGC or CSBS. Such books are recorded in the database of the grading company and have the equivalent of serial numbers on them and notes on their condition are recorded to, including flaws, creases, etc. If someone tries to sell the slabbed books they are easily identified as stolen property by these numbers. Even if the thieves are smart enough to break the slabs open, the books can be traced through the records if potential buyers are aware high grade copies of the books have been stolen. If the buyer is unscrupulous enough to buy a stolen copy, well then it's a lot harder to find/identify the books, but then that is true of all stolen property.

You occasionally see stories of theft at conventions reported on sites like Bleeding Cool, and they do similar stories about store thefts too (in fact they recently posted a story about a comic shop in Canada that was broken into but the thief took Magic cards not comics) and these types of stories help put the work out that stolen goods are out there and to be on the look out for them.

If you are researching a story, you might want to contact the owners of Bleeding Cool who do these stories, and the folks at the grading services about how they track the books they have graded, etc.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato