Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default JLA #7 preference: Cyborg or Martian Manhunter?

Personally I prefer Cyborg, I didn't get into comics until around 2009 so the new 52 wasn't that problematic for me. But I understand others problems. I like a tech based character (I know Batman has a lot of tech but I always see him as a detective and a martial artist for obvious reasons). Cyborg is entirely tech based and I like that even if I know he's there partially for the diversity. Personally I'd like to have seen Icon from milestone if they're bringing a black guy in. Now that I've brought up the the race thing: They wanted a black guy on the Justice League and Hal was too big to replace. However, I don't understand why there can't be both. What's wrong with 8 founding members instead of 7?

BANNED

I'm ok with either one.

Cyborg. More of a personality and easier to relate too.

Under a good writer I really don't think Batman and Cyborg should overlap. As the OP said Batman is the master detective and martial artist, who is also a jack of all trades in many other areas to compensate for his lack of powers. Victor's ability to hack and interface is second to none and his boom tube tech and weapons among other things aren't things Batman can duplicate. Sometimes people get out of hand with the bat shark repellant. The current Cyborg steps on Blue Beetle's (Jaime Reyes) toes more than Batman's.

I think when they make Batman too much of a master of super science he kind of takes away from other character like the Atom or Magnus etc. experts in other fields.

Martian Manhunter could be a an amazing character but outside of one run I don't think DC's really done anything with him. They just don't use him anywhere close to how they should with all his potential. Even the Justice League cartoon (probably his best version) leaves a little more to be desired. I don't know if they feel the need to nerf him because of Superman or readers really don't care about Mars and space but for a character that's been around 62 years that started out with such promise DC has really shelved him. If DC was willing to write him I think he'd be more interesting outside the Justice League as a space ghost like character. With his powersett MM should really be the strongest one on the Justice League and you could tie him in with other intergalactic plot lines.

Look what they are doing with Martian Manhunter on the Supergirl show. Now that is using the character. They don't use him like that in the comics.
    Last edited by Jabare; 12-20-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

I think MM should be the 7th member of the League. Victor should have replaced Green Arrow as the first recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by HJSSAE View Post
    Personally I prefer Cyborg, I didn't get into comics until around 2009 so the new 52 wasn't that problematic for me. But I understand others problems. I like a tech based character (I know Batman has a lot of tech but I always see him as a detective and a martial artist for obvious reasons). Cyborg is entirely tech based and I like that even if I know he's there partially for the diversity. Personally I'd like to have seen Icon from milestone if they're bringing a black guy in. Now that I've brought up the the race thing: They wanted a black guy on the Justice League and Hal was too big to replace. However, I don't understand why there can't be both. What's wrong with 8 founding members instead of 7?

Hal could have been replaced but not in Johns eyes. Nothing is really that set in stone outside of the Trinity. John Stewart was very popular based on the Justice League show blues Hal Jordan just bombed in a movie and cartoon show. Wally West had been the Flash for 30 some years. Johns was running things so he kind of had full reign to do what he wished. If they just wanted a non-white character they could have gone with Black Lightning, Steel, Blue Beetle or Doctor Light.

Icon is Milestone and wouldn't have worked.

When you get down to it only the Trinity need to be staples. The only one you could arguably sub in for Batman longterm is Dick Grayson and only if you have him wear the Bat costume. I mean you could sub in others for Superman and Wonder Woman but than it becomes less of the iconic line-up and DC is really just anchoring things around the Trinity despite the success of the CW shows.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Martian Manhunter 100%. Cyborg really doesn't add anything to the League. He hasn't really done anything of import since joining. Cyborg had 10 times more personality when he was a Titan and he should have stayed as a Titan.

Both cyborg and martian manhunter are not popular so both are not needed in the main title Justice League core. Cyborg is just there as the token african american member needed in other media like movies and TV shows. In the justice league cartoons, they used John Stewart over cyborg and they did just fine too.

BANNED

Martian Manhunter, he's the heart of the League, as has been stated many times over, Cyborg is a coatrack simply there to fill a spot and appease Johns personal favoritism.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It's not exactly a deal breaker for me but, if I had to choose, then it would be Martian Manhunter.

I'm fine either way though.

I have no problem with Cyborg being in the Justice League; my only problem is with him being the seventh founder. That position should belong to the Martian Manhunter, even if he subsequently leaves the team and is replaced by Cyborg.

Likewise with Hal Jordan vs. John Stewart: Hal should be one of the founders, but could easily have been replaced on the roster by John.

Heck, the single biggest mistake they made with the N52's JL roster was that they didn't change it when they skipped forward from its founding to the present.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-20-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Ever since new 52, Cyborg has been pushed as a justice league member and or founder in all the media including the movies so we are probably stuck with Cyborg in at least 1 Justice League title for a while. Justice League did just fine without Cyborg from the silver age to flashpoint. The selling point for cyborg seems to be technology which could probably be easily supplied by Orion and his mother box or Mr Miracle and his mother box. Other options for the technology member are iron man clones like Steel, rocket red, booster gold or blue beetle. Robotman would also be a good choice over cyborg since robotman is from the golden age and more iconic. The bronze age satellite era did just fine without Martian Manhunter. As seen in the Justice League Action cartoons, the only real core is the trinity.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 12-20-2016 at 11:59 AM.

I love both characters. J'onn's telepathy brought a lot to the League but i don't think the team needs yet another Superman-level character. I prefer Cyborg. I just don't think DC has come close to utilizing him to his full potential. He's connected to a Mother Box! He should be able to do so much more than be the Justice League's computer. He should be the god of technology. Which is fitting since the League is kind of a pantheon of heroes.

I would be happy if both were on the team.

DC also doesn't do a good job of promoting Martian Manhunter in multimedia over the last 60 years.

You see kids dress up as Cyborg for Halloween you see his merchandise and toys around. We don't get that for Martian Manhunter, so marketability has something to do with it.
    The J-man

I really wish that when the JL title skipped forward to the present, its roster had expanded and changed. Send MM off to do his government agent thing while bringing some new members on board such as Cyborg, Firestorm, Hawkman and/or Hawkwoman, Atom, Black Canary, Zatanna, Vixen, etc.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I really wish that when the JL title skipped forward to the present, its roster had expanded and changed. Send MM off to do his government agent thing while bringing some new members on board such as Cyborg, Firestorm, Hawkman and/or Hawkwoman, Atom, Black Canary, Zatanna, Vixen, etc.
    I don't know if every writer can handle the roster that big. I do like the Legacy aspect but with the DC reboot basically destroying the Titans getting rid of Wally as Flash and a lot of the Dick Grayson history and New Teen Titans history that kind of put the calash on that. I won't start ranting on that my comments and displeasure were well documented on the old CBR.

The J-man