Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Right I forgot about that. It's really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Spider View Post
    That was a fun little romance. Wasn't Firestar super pissed when he was being framed during that horrendous digital Scarlet Spider fiasco.
    Not sure I remember her being pissed, per se. The only specific thing I really recall is that she was the only one to realize that the real Scarlet Spider had become Spider-Man.

-Pav, who would like to see Firestar become a bigger part of Spidey's world...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Carolina Wall-Crawler Southern_Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    lol, I wonder if that was intentional...if so, why? Looks like a mistake to me, but maybe Slott has noticed it by now and will work it into something a couple hundred issues from now.

I mean--if it's intentional, isn't that an odd way to work that in? Would she be that careless in front of others?
    That was definitely my question lol. Seems like a careless mistake on Slott's part, but maybe he just wanted it to be subtle so he could pull it out of nowhere either later in this series or like you said, a million miles down the road.

Either way, thought it was worth pointing out.

Incredible Member

She totally went from "Hey, Spidey" to "I miss my robot, Peter" in the same conversation in front of Bella. Is this carelessness on Slott's part, or did Anna Maria really just spill the beans? Will this be ignored or a plot point moving forward?
    Ta Da! My first CBR Message Board post in all of 2016! :-D

The "Peter" line was added by editorial on the day the book was leaving.
    To be fair, they did run it past me, I thought the line was a good one, and I gave it the thumbs up.
    Problem was, I didn't look at it within the context of the scene...
    ...a scene where, when I originally scripted it, took pains to have Anna only refer to him as Spidey.

So... it was a mistake. When you put out as many books as the Spidey Office (which also puts out multiple Inhumans titles, Doctor Strange titles, and many, many, many other comics at the same time), mistakes can creep in. And on my end, when I'm deep into a Spider Event, with multiple issues being written, scripted, and cross-over scripts that need to be read, all out of sequence, mistakes creep in on my end-- and editorial does an amazing job of catching those!

With this one, it'll definitely be fixed in the trade. And if there's time, it might even get fixed in the 2nd Printing.

So, yeah. Mistake. Sorry.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 10-14-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post

To be fair, they did run it past me, I thought the line was a good one, and I gave it the thumbs up.
    ...a scene where, when I originally scripted it, took pains to have Anna only refer to him as Spidey.

So... it was a mistake. When you put out as many books as the Spidey Office (which also puts out multiple Inhumans titles, Doctor Strange titles, and many, many, many other comics at the same time), mistakes can creep in. And on my end, when I'm deep into a Spider Event, with multiple issues being written, scripted, and cross-over scripts that need to be read, all out of sequence, mistakes creep in on my end-- and editorial does an amazing job of catching those!

With this one, it'll definitely be fixed in the trade. And if there's time, it might even get fixed in the 2nd Printing.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Nice to get an answer directly from the creator.

Well, that was anticlimactic! lol Thanks for clearing it up, though. Makes sense.

Although you probably could get some interesting story out of it later. (I think I saw you say you wish nearly no one knew Peter's identity though, so...)

This was the most I've enjoyed a Slott Spider-Man comic in a long time. I'm in with this event.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    while it does seem from this issue that they are straight up clones and not reincarnations, i don't think the semantics are "the problem".

in-universe points of view are allowed to be diverse, wrong or just plain insane. it's often more interesting when the character's world view is wrong. and we're supposed to be able to immerse ourselves in that other point of view.

the jackal might actually have talked himself into believing it's a form of reincarnation. or he might be on the side of people who believe a replica of a person is actually that person, as suggested in this thought exercise. or he might just be batshit delusional.

it's why we have things like unreliable narrators.

it might not necessarily be the writer trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes with flashy semantics in order to look more impressive than he actually is. that's a mean spirited interpretation that suggests he is either incapable of understanding the difference between cloning and resurrection or that he believes his audience is.
    Oh, I agree it's entirely possible that the Jackal (or rather the person claiming they're the Jackal) is pulling the wool over his own clones' eyes in order for them to go along with scheme, or, as you suggest, he sincerely believes he's "resurrecting the dead" (which, if you think about it, could be further evidence this Jackal is only impersonating Miles Warren because the Jackal never always thought of his clones as distinctive from the originals).

But at the same time, Slott has been touting, as recently as the interview in The Hollywoord Reporter from yesterday, that the Jackal in Clone Conspiracy has gone "beyond cloning," that these clones are "reanimations" because they remember everything....even though the process is 100%, with the only differences being when the DNA samples were taken and how much the clones remember. OF course, there's always the possibility he's just saying this to promote as story still in its beginning stages and doesn't want to give away the possibility that the Jackal is telling his clones a bunch of lies and dupe them into going along with his evil plan. After all, when he was promoting "Spider-Island" Slott put more emphasis on the fact New Yorker were getting spider-powers. He left out the part that they were mutating into half-human/half-spider creatures, and that this was essentially a "zombie apocalypse."

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    The "reanimation" word that Jackal used seems similar to what Slott said he was discussing with Lowe about. While the Jackal's claim isn't inherent proof, Slott does seem to agree with the Jackal's perspective, suggesting that the Jackal's explanation was a way for Slott to show his own perspective in the narrative.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    This is the heart of the issue: So far, its being strongly implied that this new process brings the soul back, along with all of the memories and emotions the character had when they were alive.

Evidence of this is also in the ancient Egyptian headpiece that this 'new' Jackal is wearing - ie visually alluding to an obsession with reincarnation and preservation of souls.

So my vote is still that we will find that the author / editorial plan for this arc is that some comic book spiritual technology actually does make these characters reanimations of the originals.

And if so, it doesn't matter if you don't believe its possible or that it clashes with some previously ordained canon about clone status:

It's a comic book. They can do whatever they want to lol.
    Except having all their memories and emotions from the time the DNA sample was taken has always been how cloning in the Marvel Universe (or least in Spider-Man) has worked. And the clones were always regarded as distinct individuals from the person they've been cloned from. Which appears to be the case here, even though they're being called "reanimations."

And yes, your right in saying by wearing that Anubis mask, this Jackal is evoking resurrection and reincarnation motiffs. The question is whether he believes this, or whether this is just telling his clones what they want to hear in order to go along with his plan. Personally, I'm thinking it could be the later. Because I'm think that what this Jackal is up to is that he wants to kill off everyone and replace them with their own "perfect" clones, thereby "curing the world of death and disease." Of course, since they're still susceptible to clone degeneration, and thus must take a pill everyday to prevent it, that would make everyone completely dependent on the Jackal if they wish to stay alive.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post

Ah, I was wondering was going on with that, as I was thinking "Gee, way to blow Peter's secret identity, Anna Maria." Thanks Dan for the explanation.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Maybe this is just one of those things that the Ultimate Universe left behind. After Ultimate Gwen died and was cloned, they treated the clone Gwen as if they had the original Ultimate Gwen back from the dead.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

She totally went from "Hey, Spidey" to "I miss my robot, Peter" in the same conversation in front of Bella. Is this carelessness on Slott's part, or did Anna Maria really just spill the beans? Will this be ignored or a plot point moving forward?
    If Bella asks, Anna Maria can just say she was on a three-way call with Peter and Spider-Man! I demand my No-Prize.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Thanks for popping in and clearing that up Mr. Slott, I was wondering about that. Always a pleasure to have creators join the conversation
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

After looking more into other clues from previous issues I believe Jackal is definitely Norman Osborn and not Ben Reily.

In issue 4 of the current run we see Norman with his face bandaged as if he had another surgery and he says business is booming. Right after we switch to a prison where the Jackal shows Connors his ''revived'' wife and child. Although in issue 3 Jackal recruits Rhino after he shows Oksana to him. So there's that, but there's no timeline indication.
    Last edited by Beorg; 10-14-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Maybe this is just one of those things that the Ultimate Universe left behind. After Ultimate Gwen died and was cloned, they treated the clone Gwen as if they had the original Ultimate Gwen back from the dead.
    Spider-Verse already had that with how the Inheritors revive themselves too. Basically they transferred their souls into their clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    After looking more into other clues from previous issues I believe Jackal is definitely Norman Osborn and not Ben Reily.

In issue 4 of the current run we see Norman with his face bandaged as if he had another surgery and he says business is booming. Right after we switch to a prison where the Jackal shows Connors his ''revived'' wife and child. Although in issue 3 Jackal recruits Rhino after he shows Oksana to him. So there's that, but there's no timeline indication.
    So... Sins Past tie-in after all?

I think it does make the most sense. Though why would he need a mask if he can just swap his face at will?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I feel like this response is too serious for my joke post.
    I didn't see the joke?
    Last edited by Probalus; 10-14-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    Spider-Verse already had that with how the Inheritors revive themselves too. Basically they transferred their souls into their clones.
    I feel like this response is too serious for my joke post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    If Bella asks, Anna Maria can just say she was on a three-way call with Peter and Spider-Man! I demand my No-Prize.
    I actually figured that would be the way it was resolved haha. Great minds.