Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Hal Jordan and the GLC #6 Discussion

I didn't see a discussion thread yet, so I decided to make this one. Um....I don't know what to really say about this series. It started out REALLY strong, but the past two issues to me have been total let downs.

Firstly, the dialogue just feels stilted. Like, it doesn't feel like a natural conversation that people would have. It feels like the characters are talking to themselves but simply with other people around them. In other words, it sounds like the characters are talking AT each other than actually listening and engaging in a conversation with one another. I know people on here had problems with Johns's 9-year run, but at least then 80-90% of the time, the dialogue seemed...natural.

Secondly, how many times does Venditti feel that he needs to drop the word "fear" into this comic?? Like, if I made a drinking game out of how many times that word popped up, then I would have been fairly drunk by the time I had finished reading. This is all to say that Sinestro and the Sinestro Corps come across as fairly one-dimensional, which is sad because they all received such great development under Bunn's run on Sinestro's solo title.

But in all fairness, how much do people want to bet that Venditti has only ever read Johns's run on Green Lantern before diving in on this? It sure feels that way. Like, I also appreciated Johns's contributions to the GL mythology, but I really think that Venditti doesn't have knowledge of anything else besides that and that's why he keeps going to the well of "FEAR FEAR FEAR. FEAR MUST REPLACE WILL."

This can't help but make me feel like I would rather someone like Jason Aaron or Rick Remender or Tom King were heading up this series.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was IMMENSILY fun. Great action scenes, quick pacing, solid character moments and spectacular art from Sandoval.

Easily the best issue yet.

This book was so much fun.

First where is the Gorilla Sinestro Corps Member at
    Second, where did Sinestro get those pants? Because they are dope.
    And finally where did this Venditti comes from all of a sudden?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    This book was so much fun.

First where is the Gorilla Sinestro Corps Member at
    Second, where did Sinestro get those pants? Because they are dope.
    And finally where did this Venditti comes from all of a sudden?
    Grodd only knows.
    I need those pants as well. Same design I mean, not that exact pair of pants.
    He's got a whole toy box to play with instead of just Hal?

It's been said before, but it's totally worth saying again. Rafa Sandoval is an amazing artist. His style also is similar enough to Ethan Van Sciver's that the transition doesn't jar, yet it different enough that you know who did the penciling for each issue after only a couple of pages.

Astonishing Member

Venditti seems to really be channeling Johns at this point. Which is crazy because his book was easily the worst of the four back when he was captain for a team that included Jensen, Soule and Jordan. Anyway, we've seen this kind of story before but it is neat to see Sinestro on top for once and a desperate "let's just go for it" courageous move from the Lanterns. I actually expect Venditti to subvert and go somewhere different afterward, but it's not a bad way to "start" a volume of Green Lantern with "Hal vs. Sinestro" and go from there. Johns's Rebirth did it. Johns's New 52 run did it. And now Venditti's Rebirth run is doing it.

God though, maybe it's just because of the current status quo of Sinestro. Cullen Bunn did the lord's work making the yellow lanterns interesting again after their initial awesome impact from SCW waned in the "rainbow years". And Venditti is definitely writing the same character.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

the art sure made me erect. God it's SO GOOD

Astonishing Member

rafa sandoval just gets getting better and better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Venditti seems to really be channeling Johns at this point. Which is crazy because his book was easily the worst of the four back when he was captain for a team that included Jensen, Soule and Jordan. Anyway, we've seen this kind of story before but it is neat to see Sinestro on top for once and a desperate "let's just go for it" courageous move from the Lanterns. I actually expect Venditti to subvert and go somewhere different afterward, but it's not a bad way to "start" a volume of Green Lantern with "Hal vs. Sinestro" and go from there. Johns's Rebirth did it. Johns's New 52 run did it. And now Venditti's Rebirth run is doing it.

God though, maybe it's just because of the current status quo of Sinestro. Cullen Bunn did the lord's work making the yellow lanterns interesting again after their initial awesome impact from SCW waned in the "rainbow years". And Venditti is definitely writing the same character.
    To be fair to Venditti, he had some very big boots to fill following on from the man considered the architect of one of the best eras of GL. Johns made his official GL swansong on a true epic. There were readers who dropped the book just because Johns wasn't writing it anymore and everyone was expecting Venditti to match the quality they'd come to expect. But Venditti did a great job considering what was against him. He changed up the status quo, presenting new challenges to Hal. Not all of Johns's new ideas can have been popular right out of the gate, and some of Venditti's contributions were dropped, specifically the emotional reservoir.

The latter halves of Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians and Red Lanterns were better than the first halves. Van Jensen didn't need to incorporate the madness of the Guardians as the overall arc, and did great things with John. Justin Jordan didn't need to tie Kyle's development into Rise of the Third Army, taking Kyle on his own journey largely independent of the other GLs. Charles Soule gave the Red Lantern Corps Guy Gardner. The Futures End tie-ins also gave the writers a chance to do What-Ifs, exploring a heart broken John, a mad Kyle and a hopeful Guy.

I'm really looking forward to the next arc, Bottled Light. The ad for that arc has John front and center, and it brings back Larfleeze (like the Minions, best in small doses as part of a bigger story), the Blue Lanterns and KYLE!

Incredible Member

I'm loving this title. It's just what I want from the GLC franchise right now.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    rafa sandoval just gets getting better and better.
    hal's title sure is gifted with awesome artists...

Incredible Member

Gotta love Hal's wrecking The Sinestro Corps and wondering "so, where's Sinestro is"

Meanwhile, in the Fear Engine...

Sinestro: FINAL... BOSS.... POWER-UP!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    hal's title sure is gifted with awesome artists...
    Artists very familiar with the franchise and new to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Grodd only knows.
    I need those pants as well. Same design I mean, not that exact pair of pants.

Speaking of pants, I am looking forward to Guy getting some pants on in some future issue..... yeeeesh...
    I have no beef with Vegans

lol There's been a lot of fan service for the ladies in this book, that's for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Speaking of pants, I am looking forward to Guy getting some pants on in some future issue..... yeeeesh...
    His torturer must have gotten out the duct tape based on what we see of Guy in this issue.