Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superman Unchained #7 Spoilers/Discussion

So yeah, this is back. And worth the wait.

Excellent artwork. This was mostly two big battles (between Superman and Lane's army and Batman/Wonder Woman vs. Wraith) but it was still incredibly awesome. The Batman/Wonder Woman teamup was great and Lois had plenty to do in this issue.

Seriously, pick this up - you won't regret it. Were it in any other week it would probably be my POTW - but Green Arrow has also come out today so it will have to take runner up.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

I like Snyder's take on "what's the "S" stand for". That was fun. I wasn't overly fond of the brooding Superman in the beginning of the story but it progressed quite well. Seems like the Fortress is full of surprises as well. Some cool moments in there, like with the armor.
    By the way, Jim Lee loves his "Superman busting out of wreckage" splashes.

And from today's issue.
    http://oi57.tinypic.com/2vlmavs.jpg

Astonishing Member

Well, that was... Not bad. Really.
    The high-tech element was good, and it could have been a good starting point to create some worldbuilding.
    I am wondering if at the end of the story Supes will decide to follow Wraith's 'teachings' and marginally change his M.O.. It would be an interesting change, even if useless if the story will be ignored.

It was okay, with cool parts. Gen. Lane is kind of a mustache-twirling villain in this, though.

I must admit, this really was a rather good book. Most excellent action, I should say.

I suppose the trinity will team up next issue, and take Wraith down, then? It shouldn't take too long, if Superman and Wonder Woman rips off his armour, the synthetic mineral will down him pretty fast.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The page with all the Batmobiles was pretty cool.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The delays on this series have been frustrating, but issues like this make it worth the wait. This was a great issue that nicely built on the themes established throughout the story. General Lane comes off as the villain, but he doesn't have the same presence as Lex Luthor. He doesn't attack Superman out of ego or narcissism. He sees Superman as part of a military operation. That's something he's shown in many stories. He always has a military mindset and Superman is a threat to that because he represents something that threatens his operations. That kind of mindset clashes with Superman's whole big picture view of the world. I don't think Superman has had a chance to effectively respond to General Lane's criticisms, but he made clear in this issue that he stands by the choices he made. I also like how Lois has taken on a more classic role, usually getting caught in the middle of the conflict and finding a way to complicate things. That still never gets old.

Overall, I thought this was a great issue with plenty of memorable moments. The spread with Batman sending a wave of Batmobiles to attack Wraith was one of the best scenes of the year. I know it'll probably be a while before the next issue comes out, but the quality established in this story ensures it'll be worth waiting for. I did a full review of this book on my blog. If anyone is interested and it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Is this the issue where Superman and Wraith have it out in "deep space and the ocean floor" like solicited in issue #6 or was that changed?

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I must admit, this really was a rather good book. Most excellent action, I should say.

I suppose the trinity will team up next issue, and take Wraith down, then? It shouldn't take too long, if Superman and Wonder Woman rips off his armour, the synthetic mineral will down him pretty fast.
    Hope not. Superman should fight him alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Hope not. Superman should fight him alone.
    Now that I think about it, you're right - that would be the most fitting and satisfying. But then, the trinity, and the JLA, etc, have all been featured heavily in this book, since day one, and changing it now would come off as rather abrupt and strange.

This could have, and probably should have, however, have been a Superman-exclusive story. There was never a need to involve the other heroes of the DCU in this. It would have felt like more of a discussion around the nature of Superman, if Snyder had chosen that path instead.

But now that the story is what it is, I do feel they should keep being involved in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by I'mNotDaredevil View Post
    Is this the issue where Superman and Wraith have it out in "deep space and the ocean floor" like solicited in issue #6 or was that changed?
    That was changed. It appears as if we will see the big fight with Wraith in the next issue instead.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 07-02-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Liked the issue, although someone else found the Batcave battle more interesting than that of Superman in the Artic?

And one more thing. How Wraith knew where to find Batman, where the Batcave was (right down the Wayne manor)? Does he know who Batman is? He also has x-ray vision to figure that out? And if so, did he share that information with the military?

BANNED

It was really good. Batman in Unchained is very nice, he even smile and do some jokes. the penny, I already saw it on justice league beyond.
    S stands for hahaahahaha

Sam Lane, for the gods sake at least wait Superman tell stuff to Lois. you don't need to be a co**block, pls?
    Lois showing that she is not damsel in distress and saving Superman.

Incredible Member

This was a great issue and I love how Snyder built it up to this moment. I have enjoyed how Snyder portrayed Lois and here she is even more awesome with the crystal responding to her and not making her inactive. Enjoyed the interaction between Lois & Superman. It was nice to see the hardened General Lane not wanting his daughter in the battlefield. Loved the batcave fight but at the same time glad that Superman will handle Wraith. Excited for the next issue.

Astonishing Member

Know what I loved most about this issue? Batman was awesome, powerful and formidable.

But he could not take down the Superman-level threat. If Wonder Woman hadn't intervened, he would have been killed. Every awesome, impressive, plans-ahead trick he used was cool - but didn't take him close to a "win".

Also, didn't Lex Luthor use to be in this book? I swear, if he'd impregnated Jimmy Olsen when he first took him hostage, the baby would have been born by now.

Incredible Member

Great 'blockbuster' comic.

Love how over-the-top General Lane was.