Thread: The Great Wall

Default The Great Wall

The Great Wall, directed by Zhang Yimou; the director of Raise the Red Lantern, Hero, and House of Flying Daggers.

Story by Max Brooks, Edward Zwick, and Marshall Herskovitz

Screenplay by Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro, Tony Gilroy

Carlo Bernard and Doug Miro are the creators and writers on Narcos. Tony Gilroy wrote the first four Bourne movies, Michael Clayton, and is one of the writers on the upcoming Star Wars Rogue One movie.

That's funny, didn't realize Max Brooks worked on this. And I was thinking who that "monsters attacking the wall" scene in the trailer looked like the zombies at the wall bit in World War Z.

Astonishing Member

I know, this movie isn't being made with Asian-Americans in mind. But another white guy coming into save the day in yet another Chinese tale is a bit too much.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I know, this movie isn't being made with Asian-Americans in mind. But another white guy coming into save the day in yet another Chinese tale is a bit too much.
    Agreed. It is rather silly. Guess they didn't think they would be able to make their money back unless they had a white lead. *sigh*
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    China makes very few movies were such a thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Death&Return of Superman View Post
    China makes very few movies were such a thing happens.
    Movie is an American-Chinese co-production, but it were written by Max Brooks, Edward Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz with screenplay by Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro and Tony Gilroy. Hollywood screenwriters putting a white Hollywood star front and center, business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by thales View Post
    Movie is an American-Chinese co-production, but it were written by Max Brooks, Edward Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz with screenplay by Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro and Tony Gilroy. Hollywood screenwriters putting a white Hollywood star front and center, business as usual.
    It's mostly a Chinese film, and one that was developed to target the Chinese audience—but also meant to be able to play in America. Maybe it will one day be business as usual, it is not at this point.

Astonishing Member

I actually think it's interesting.

Unlike many stories where white washing occurs this is a fantasy universe set to be sort of Attack on Titan-y.

With Matt Damon hired basically so China can make a break into the US market apparently.

I'm hoping it does well. I was ready to pounce on its weirdness until I learned it was a Chinese production specifically aiming to do so.