Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default you guys remember Sentry?

you know, big blonde plot device guy? About as powerful as Dark Phoenix Cyclops or Thanos? Whatever happened to him? I remember him flying into deep space and disappearing. He used to get a lot of deserved hate for being a badly written and very dumb character, but ever since he went kinda nuts in Dark Reign I began to find him more interesting. AND THEN in Uncanny Avengers when he went super batshit insane and started spouting gibberish, ripping his own face off, and suplexing Celestials I began to think he was awesome.

I kinda want him to return as a villain in some book in the future. He's definitely the type of villain that could smack around The Ultimates, or give some much needed rest from Civil War issues in other team books. But, his charm might wear off if he's used too much. Thoughts on Bob?

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Id like to see Sentry return, but I'd want him back to how he was in the original mini
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    Id like to see Sentry return, but I'd want him back to how he was in the original mini
    Agreed. Of all the characters Bendis has screwed up over the years The Sentry was the one with the most potential. I honestly don't know if the character can be salvaged at this point.

BANNED

He's another poor Superman clone (by Marvel).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    He's another poor Superman clone (by Marvel).
    He possesses incredible powers but is reluctant to use them because he's terrified of himself. In many ways he's more like the Hulk than Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    you know, big blonde plot device guy? About as powerful as Dark Phoenix Cyclops or Thanos? Whatever happened to him?
    He died. Then he and three others got revived and turned into Horsemen, which is how he appeared in Uncanny Avengers. They defeated them, that's the end of it.

leave him dead. I cannot stand him as a character and would actively avoid any books he appeared in. He's a super Mary Sue with the ultimate power set while being the best friend of everyone, and everytime he features I picture someone's 11 year old talked dad into letting them write the next story. I hope somewhere in the distant background noise of Secret Wars a universe collided into him and ended him.

Did I mention I can't stand that hero?

I wouldn't mind having Death Seed Sentry as an Ultimates' villain. I did like how Bendis transformed him into a batshit crazy Superman whos wife was too greedy to properly give him the care he needed.

I could see Ewing being able to do a lot with him.

Spectacular Member

I read about and see art from the original miniseries and the Age of Sentry silver age type book, and it makes me want to buy a collection. I know about the Bendis stuff and wouldn't touch that. I like unbalanced Superman takes. Sounds like he would be good to bring back for a cosmic series. Um, isn't Blue Marvel a balanced take on Superman? Can't see both him and Sentry being operating on the Earth at the same time, so it's out of Sol and into the cosmos for Bob. I may be off base on both of them, going only on reviews, forum posts, and such.

I was always fascinated by him and I loved the retro aspect--inserting him in Marvel's past, as though he'd always been there, just forgotten. I really like that about the character, as well as his seemingly endless powerset.

We've had tons of Superman archetypes, but he was by far my favorite, without all the crazy stuff added to him later on (even though I like The Void as well, just not crazy whiny Sentry).

It's a goddamned shame what happened to his wife, though.

And he'd be absolutely terrifying as a villain. I'd actually like to see that, now that I think on it.
    Last edited by Montressor; 10-12-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

He could probably work well as a villain, since with Blue Marvel and Hyperion we already have two active Superman amalgams who are relatively underutilized. BM essentially was Sentry lvl+ some but that impact isn't really felt since he's not a central ANAD character Marvel wants to spotlight. Hyperion pretty much is Superman but unless you read his team book, you pretty much wouldn't know he exists in the MU. So Sentry coming back as a villain could spice it up and do something different than being just a 3rd superman clone whose just kinda twiddling his thumbs in the background.

Or maybe the 3 of them can just form a team and call it a day

I'd love to see him come back, especially as a villain. Just don't have him defeated in a stupid manner.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I'd love to see him come back as a proper hero and really delve into as deeply a mentally ill man as he is striving to do good.

It's too easy to take the mentally ill guy and make him a supervillain because he's schizo. A schizophrenic hero? Far more interesting. Frankly, as a sufferer of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, such as Bob has, the trajectory of the character and the treatment of his mental illness deeply frustrated me, and at part, was kind of ham-handed and insulting. Instead of a trajectory of overcoming the illness, we instead got a story about how a mentally ill man (once again) saw things had 'gone as far as they could' and chose to commit suicide by cop. How many more times am I gonna have to read that story? I've seen it enough already and, frankly, it's disheartening that that was the well that Bendis went back to write the end of his 'big Sentry story'.

Sentry is already differentiated by his weaknesses and foibles from the other so-called Superman clones, honestly, other writers who aren't Bendis have always gotten the character better than he did. Bendis didn't invent the mental illness from whole cloth, after all. That was written into the character from the go.

Frankly, he'd be kind of easy to push the reset button and give him a real go. Any character can be salvaged by a writer interested in getting into the dirt with it. It just takes the right pen with the right voice to make it happen. The Sentry's time will come when there's the right story for him, and I hope to god it's more than 'ooohhoooo look at how cuh-razy he is!'. Some judicious retconning will be required, and frankly, I'd just tell them to explain that the Sentry we've seen, the one doing all this batshit stuff, was always just a manifestation of the Void instead.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-12-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

I miss him.

Ewing did great work with the alternate Sentry in Contest of Champions (brief as it was).

And honestly I've always liked the idea that Sentry is constantly in a state of flux. Even his origin mini always read like a Ragnarok esque thing. IE That he returns only to die and return again and is forgotten each time.

So I always figured the easiest thing to do is just have him suddenly appear on a team book with no warning with everyone acting like they remember him having been there all along etc... Explanation not fully necessary.