Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Violet Paige (AKA Mother Panic) Appreciation

With less than a month until the debut of Mother Panic, I figured now was as good a time as any to make an appreciation thread for Gotham's newest vigilante (as of this writing, anyway).

Why not wait until it's released? Well, even though there's admittedly not a lot to go on right now, we do know some things about her already. Look at this preview from issue #1, shown during NYCC:

VioletPaige.jpg

A fair bit of info from just one, uh, page:

-She's calculating

-She takes initiative

-She's outwardly crass and juvenile

-She likes attention

-She's tabloid fodder

In addition, we know from various other previews and interviews that Violet has an older brother (Victor), a dead father, a sick mother, and spent a decade of her life in a mysterious boarding school called Gather House. She also has super-strength and a highly advanced suit, the capabilities of which are not known at this time. And she's going to cross paths with Batman, of course, but that's just icing.

Can't wait until we learn more about her on November 9th!
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-12-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm very interested in this series! I hope that we get some cool vigilante action, though I'm surprised about the super-strength.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm very interested in this series! I hope that we get some cool vigilante action, though I'm surprised about the super-strength.
    It's implied that the Gather House gave her that power somehow, but of course we don't know yet. My own crazy theory is that if she's not a meta, she got her powers from the same person as Gotham and Gotham Girl, and her suit negates the "burning up your life" part of it.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Interesting. That seems a bit more connected to mainstream plots than I would expect Young Animal to be. But we shall see!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Interesting. That seems a bit more connected to mainstream plots than I would expect Young Animal to be. But we shall see!
    That's the big wrinkle in my theory. But since this book will be in Gotham and have Batfam cameos, it could be the exception.

Put me in the "wait until it's released" camp regarding an APPRECIATION thread.

After all, shouldn't we wait to see if it's any good or not before we sing the APPRECIATION hosannas?

Astonishing Member

unnamed-19-1.jpg

I am looking forward to this title.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Put me in the "wait until it's released" camp regarding an APPRECIATION thread.

After all, shouldn't we wait to see if it's any good or not before we sing the APPRECIATION hosannas?
    I highly doubt it'll be terrible. Even if it is, someone is bound to like it, and that's who these kind of threads are for. Plus this is more about the character herself (though the book is obviously tied closely to her).

I see the first cover and.. I did not expect this TOPIC.. Is a surprise..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-14-2016 at 11:29 AM.

DOUBLE POST, for show the preview:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/mothe...mother-panic-1

That last page of the preview is interesting:

MOPA_01_05.jpg

Do Violet and Kate Kane know each other somehow? That's the implication I'm getting.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    That last page of the preview is interesting:

MOPA_01_05.jpg

Do Violet and Kate Kane know each other somehow? That's the implication I'm getting.
    Unless there's some other context to Violet knowing Kate is angry for some reason, yeah that'd be the implication.

Can't wait for this series. Oh man...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

It does seem obvious, yeah. I guess I was just surprised that something like that was mentioned so soon.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It does seem obvious, yeah. I guess I was just surprised that something like that was mentioned so soon.
    well, I presume it'll be explicitly addressed in #1 or it may just be a little seed planted that is addressed later down the line. I think I'd prefer the latter - more intriguing, mysterious, etc.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

I wish I'd posted about this earlier because now I can't find the relevant article, but a recent interview mentioned that Violet is not going to be going after Bruce Wayne or anyone he would have more than a casual acquaintance with. The phrase used was something to the effect of "Bruce Wayne would not be found at events involving these people even if he were invited." They're still elite, wealthy people, but not really in his same circle. I figured this was worth pointing out since it was known that Violet would be targeting the elite, and the reasonable guess was that Bruce and others would get caught up in that as civilians, but that doesn't seem to be the case.