Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Has anybody seen that there's a Batman variant cover for this issue?

http://www.previewsworld.com/Article...my-Lee-Edwards

When I first saw progress shots of that cover, I thought it was for issue #3, since the first two had been released, and that seemed like a reasonable place to have Batman show up for the first time. Now I'm wondering if he'll be there from the beginning.
    Last edited by Caivu; 12-01-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    When I first saw progress shots of that cover, I thought it was for issue #3, since the first two had been released, and that seemed like a reasonable place to have Natman show up for the first time. Now I'm wondering if he'll be there from the beginning.
    Well, if it's a variant cover, Batman doesn't even to show up in the issue.
    (And if it's set in Gotham City, it's not completely out of left field to picture Batman on a cover.)

Not like it's terribly surprising, but we now know Violet's opinion of Batman:

EffBats.JPG

And here's some more insight into her, courtesy of Gerard Way:

AboutViolet.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

This is kind of a small thing, but something I noticed about Violet is that her dialogue boxes change from round to square when she has her helmet on. It turns out there's an in-story reason for that. Edwards's art isn't as clear about this, but her helmet seems to have a voice-changing function. Shawn Crystal's art from the next arc clearly shows the speaker holes:

SC.jpg

A rough preview panel from issue #3:

IMG_20161216_220039.jpg

That running pose just screams "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****".

Does Violet chicken out of her fight with Batwoman? Does she kick Kate's ass and then is like "Oh crap Batman's gonna be after me now"? We'll know on January 25th or sooner.

Cover and solicit to issue #5:

MOPA-Cv5.jpg

MOTHER PANIC #5

Written by JODY HOUSER—Art by SHAWN CRYSTAL—Cover by TOMMY LEE EDWARDS—Variant cover by MICHAEL CHO

While hunting a new target, Mother Panic may have found her first ally in the strange and enigmatic Pretty. But nothing involving Gather House is ever what it appears to be. Can Pretty really be trusted? And what exactly is going on in Violet Paige’s basement?

On sale MARCH 22 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS
    I'm interested in finding out why Violet trusts this Pretty guy as opposed to the Batfamily.

A rough preview panel from issue #3:

IMG_20161216_220039.jpg

That running pose just screams "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****".

Does Violet chicken out of her fight with Batwoman? Does she kick Kate's ass and then is like "Oh crap Batman's gonna be after me now"? We'll know on January 25th or sooner.
    I don't think Violet's "**** the Bat" could really be seen as having any fear for him or his allies. That being said, if she kills people...it's not like this is new. Huntress had a history of that, and she still operated without Batman's approval for a long, long time. So, Batman wouldn't really be able to put the fear of God into her, as it were. At least, I don't think so. She's already in a costume and stuff, so what's he gonna do? Beat her up?

The more I think about this, the more I think that whatever fight they get into will be brutal as hell...but also a test. Bruce gave Kate a ton of space to do whatever the hell she wanted for years, so it'd be hypocritical if Kate tried to shut her down for not being "approved". And very OOC. So, what if this is measuring Violet's restraint? Who the enemy is, and who isn't? Violet's so damn angry, like Kate, but it's not the same kind of anger.

Kate's stems from oppression (the sources of which just continue to grow...), and it's a constant thing that will be part of her life until she's dead. Violet's anger stems from larger, more defined moments in her life as well as specific things. At least, that's how I interpreted Violet so far. Anyway, that kind of anger isn't easy to control or cope with, and it can control a person. So, if Kate and Violet are going to fight...it doesn't seem like Kate would strike first.

Hell, maybe the whole thing just stems from Violet's gut reaction to attack Kate the second she sees her, since she assumes that the big bad Bat is here to shut her down. When, in reality, Kate was just trying to point her in the right direction for the case she was working. As a way of saying "We know you're here, and we know what you're doing. You don't have to be a part of us, no one's going to force you. But you do have to answer the call when everything goes to hell. And if you need help, you'll get it, but until we hear otherwise...you're on your own."

It's something that, I think, Kate would have wanted to hear when she first started out. And she kinda did, just not as directly.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgmanX View Post
    I don't think Violet's "**** the Bat" could really be seen as having any fear for him or his allies.
    My thinking is that she genuinely hates Batman and co., but that her lack of fear could just be all (or mostly) talk. She might change her tune quick once she has to actually tangle with one of them. I hope that's not the case, but it could be. A nice subversion of the typical "heroes meet and fight each other" scene.

The more I think about this, the more I think that whatever fight they get into will be brutal as hell...but also a test. Bruce gave Kate a ton of space to do whatever the hell she wanted for years, so it'd be hypocritical if Kate tried to shut her down for not being "approved". And very OOC. So, what if this is measuring Violet's restraint? Who the enemy is, and who isn't? Violet's so damn angry, like Kate, but it's not the same kind of anger.
    I like that idea. It's a deliberate version of that "she could've killed me, but didn't" thing I mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Caivu; 12-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Jim Lee draws Violet:

Screenshot_20161223-154956.jpg

It's Boxing Day, less than a month until Violet squares off against Batwoman in Mother Panic #3, and I like puns, so:

BWvsMP.jpg

GGM2.jpg

The main portraits in the second poster were done by an artist named inkydandy.

Mother Panic #2 gives the clearest idea yet of how strong Violet is. This is the aftermath of an offscreen rampage:

MPRampage.jpg

Look especially at the grayish car, roughly center-left. See how the wheel's bent? Yeah.

Mother Panic #3 variant cover by Mingjue Helen Chen:

MPvsBW.jpg

I was hoping a scene like this would be on one of the variants for this issue.

Mother Panic #3 variant cover by Mingjue Helen Chen:

MPvsBW.jpg

I was hoping a scene like this would be on one of the variants for this issue.
    My first real look at the Mother Panic character. I wonder if they intentionally evoke the other Mysterious Batwoman before Kate? White suit, glider and all...

A couple new progress images from Edwards's Instagram, which look to be from the upcoming fight in issue #3:

Violet1.JPG

Violet2.JPG

Violet maybe knows Muay Thai based on that first image. Kate's gonna have her hands full here, I think.