Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default United Nations picks Wonder Woman as new Honorary Ambassador

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/wo...ions.html?_r=0

The United Nations just rejected seven female candidates vying to lead the global organization.

Now, to promote women and girls, it is picking a cartoon character as its mascot: Wonder Woman.

Yes, the comic book figure.

Dozens of countries pushed this year for a woman to be chosen as the next Secretary General, pointing out that the United Nations pledges to promote gender equality around the world and arguing that it needed to “lead by example.”

After months of internal jockeying, the Security Council last week picked António Guterres, who ran the United Nations refugee agency for 10 years, to be the world’s top diplomat.

Then on Wednesday, the United Nations announced that it would appoint Wonder Woman as an honorary ambassador for “the empowerment of women and girls.”

The appointment of the heroine will be made official on Oct. 21, when Wonder Woman turns 75, only slightly older than the United Nations itself.

The United Nations is set to make Wonder Woman an honorary ambassador. Credit DC Entertainment
    Too bad Wonder Woman will not actually traipse through the halls of the United Nations headquarters. If she did she would inevitably have to vanquish a few problems, like peacekeepers who sexually abuse civilians and major military powers that bomb schools.

The United Nations, in making the announcement, said that Diane Nelson, the president of DC Entertainment, would come to the United Nations to accept the designation, along with “surprise guests.”

The outreach director of the United Nations’ department of public information, Maher Nasser, would not confirm whether Lynda Carter, who played Wonder Woman on television, or Gal Gadot, who plays her in a coming movie about the character, will be among them.
    Wonder Woman’s avatar, Mr. Nasser said, would be used on social media platforms to promote important messages about women’s empowerment, including on gender-based violence and the fuller participation of women in public life.

That, too, is a bit awkward. The United Nations is woefully behind on its pledge of gender parity in senior appointments. One analysis found that nine of 10 senior leadership jobs last year went to men.

Not to mention, a woman has never led the United Nations system, and none will for at least the next five years. The Security Council chose Mr. Guterres, a former prime minister of Portugal, to be the next Secretary General, dismissing the candidacies of seven women and five other men. Mr. Guterres, who is expected to be approved on Thursday morning by the General Assembly, has promised gender parity in senior appointments.

Wonder Woman is not the only fictional character to be celebrated by the United Nations: Winnie the Pooh served as its honorary Ambassador of Friendship in 1998; Tinker Bell was its honorary Ambassador of Green in 2009; and Angry Birds dared fans on Twitter last year to make the game’s characters happy by conserving water and energy.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

This is huge!! Lynda Carter and Gal Gadot will be there tomorrow! And all of the art is by Nicola Scott! I can't WAIT to see!!!!

Incredible Member

This isnt news. Diana has been a un ambassador for decades!!!!.....

Here's the full coverage from the UN

https://youtu.be/Mav96MV5Am4

Hearing them each speak was wonderful. So much live for Wonder Woman, and the reasoning behind it is so clear and easy to see!

Gal has twice now endorsed LYNDA FORVPRESIDEBT.

After the ceremony, both Gadot and Carter told EW about how much respect they have for each other and how proud they are to both represent the iconic character. Gadot added that she’d love to see Carter actually take on the real-life role she plays on Supergirl, as president of the United States.

“How awesome is she?” Gadot told EW. “And I do think she should be the president of the United States. She is fantastic, and after knowing her even for a little bit from this morning, it makes so much sense that she was the first one to embody this iconic character because she is the character in flesh. She is strong and inspiring and loving and good and smart and confident, and the list goes on and on.”

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I loved everything about this ceremony! This is such a great time for Diana! She's a recognized political icon for change and empowerment, her comic is doing great, DC seems to be actually TRYING to expand her world and her brand right now, and she's about to burst onto the movie scene next year in TWO movies, which will catapult her to new levels of popularity worldwide!

There has NEVER been a better time to be a Wonder Woman fan!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

This was so exciting!! It's HUGE! GLOBAL! I'm shocked nobody is discussing it on here.

2017 looks to be the year of Wonder Woman I suppose. That movie better be good.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    2017 looks to be the year of Wonder Woman I suppose. That movie better be good.
    Yep. Better be good because they're hyping it up real bad and if it fails.. I shouldn't think negatively but all this hype ya know? Really riding a lot on it.
    Also it is her 75 years.