Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

And we are back on track.

Always Rakzo

Nice to have this title on the right direction. It seems like Seeley barely even used the recent crossover to tell his own story and works for the better that way. Great character moments while he contrasts Dick and Raptor's perspectives and even Bruce gets a few compelling scenes.

Best Batbook is back people.

This issue has all what i wanted coming back from the crossover. Awesome! Just Awesome!

But i have to step back and appreciate Javi Fernandez art. This guy prove himself in this series! I loved how he drew Damian in this issue and the way he was walking to Goliath like a little kid.

Spectacular Member

So glad to have this back after the Monster Men month. Is Dick supposed to be Rromani on his mom's side or on his dad's? Could Raptor be a family member or is he a friend of Mary (or more than that)? Either way, I'm really loving him as a character and the juxtaposition with both Dick and Bruce (Bruce got a nice moment of reflection there with Alfred). I think there was some interesting commentary there when Raptor talked about Bruce taking in Dick and as a result Dick losing touch with his heritage, which is something that can happen with adoptions (I know he was older when he was taken in in the new 52, I prefer him younger when he started as Robin). I'm glad Seeley was talking about giving Dick a big bad and building his Rogues and Raptor is definitely a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Ivy_b; 10-19-2016 at 07:27 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quite an enjoyable issue - I really like the relationships between Bruce, Dick, and Damian. Raptor is interesting, but I hope the reveal of who he is lives up to all the buildup.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I loved this issue. I'm so excited to find out more about Raptor. It's like Grayson all over again, the feeling that you're dying to know what happens next. I can't believe Raptor has a keyboard and notes about his theme song. I know it was a serious scene but I couldn't stop laughing. I also really like how Bruce was portrayed in this and the kidnapping was cleverly done. No one could complain Bruce was given a bad showing. I didn't like Fernandezs art at the start but it's really grown on me. I'll actually be sorry to see him go.

Astonishing Member

This was great. I mean we the meta-commenting readers often bring up so many of Raptor's points that it should've seemed obvious what Seeley was up to - creating a villain that has the same gripes we have. And Dick being the ur-Robin, the first, the best, and the one who stands on his own and is "mostly" out of Batman's shadow, and who has some canonical backstory that lends itself to this kind of resentment, is just the ideal person to have in this situation. And all that in the midst of trying to single-handedly devastate all of the DCU's secret society/cult organizations via infiltration and "Grayson-tactics" - the concept of personal "identity" is all over this book.

Lovely art, too. Not sure if Raptor is a Grayson (George?) or a Lloyd (another uncle?) or even just a friend from the circus. But liking the angle. And loving the criticism of all the Robins being little Bruce-clones in appearance and stuff. It kind of hearkens back to Morrison's rejiggering of Jason having been a red-head, in the middle of a story where Jason was literally trying to apply brand-marketing techniques to his Red Hood persona and "replace" the Batman brand that Dick was working so hard to keep alive. That sort of makes this Rise of Raptor story a direct sequel to Morrison's "Revenge of the Red Hood" themes.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I loved this issue. I'm so excited to find out more about Raptor. It's like Grayson all over again, the feeling that you're dying to know what happens next. I can't believe Raptor has a keyboard and notes about his theme song. I know it was a serious scene but I couldn't stop laughing. I also really like how Bruce was portrayed in this and the kidnapping was cleverly done. No one could complain Bruce was given a bad showing. I didn't like Fernandezs art at the start but it's really grown on me. I'll actually be sorry to see him go.
    Callback to Grayson singing his own spy theme song, right? So funny.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I got a kick out of this, its nice to be back on track. Im digging Raptor and his motivations. He's like a crazed Robin Hood. A dark extreme on something Dick thought he was cool. At the same time though a he's crazed Dick fan, someone who has followed him, speaks hard truths, and wants him to be better. Can't remember the last time i enjoyed a new Nightwing villain like this. James Jr. maybe. Anyway, ya. Interesting stuff. Im curious to see what his relationship with Dick's mom was. Also i thought Damian sounded the best he has under Seeley here.

Fantastic Member

This was awesome,was waiting for owls to get out of the way,i was worried that those crossover issues might take the wind off of the sails but I'm glad that's not going to be the case

Really good number. I love Raptor and contrast that he makes about the ideals and beliefs of Dick and Bruce and the value that he gives of his Romani cultural heritage. I not approve of his methods but I must give him a point.

That "tough love" he makes reference, reminds me the education years ago, either at home or at work when the young are an apprentices. Or you learning fast and develop a sharp mind or they ate you alive.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Another great issue and I wish that the "Monster" arc had not interrupted it. I just hope Seeley isn't going where I think he is. Is he going to reveal that Raptor is.....

spoilers:
    Dick's father?
    end of spoilers
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Another great issue and I wish that the "Monster" arc had not interrupted it. I just hope Seeley isn't going where I think he is. Is he going to reveal that Raptor is.....

spoilers:
    Dick's father?
    end of spoilers
    Maybe his uncle, or his mom's friend (maybe "special" friend).

No the picture Dick held at the end was clearly of Raptor and his Mom.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post

spoilers:
    Dick's father?
    end of spoilers
    I think raptor will be the brother of dick's mom he was going on about how bruce wiped the heritage of his sidekicks and made them his brand extention so maybe he's pissed at bruce for conditioning dick to his liking and removing traces of their(raptor and mary) heritage