Default Pre New 52 Aquaman suggested reading please

I'm getting the current Aquaman, and plan on getting g the whole 52 run. What are some suggestions for pre new 52 tpb reading? Thanks!

I enjoyed Peter Davids run.......harpoon and all, but haven't revisited it so not sure how well it holds up.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved Peter Davids run. From the Atlantis Chronicles mini series to the series proper he really built up the Aquaman mythos in some really cool ways. His Aquaman was a broken angry man after the death of his son and his wife going crazy and leaving him. This was an Aquaman that had had enough and was not taking **** from anyone every again and if you thought he would he would kick your ass. He did issues 1-46 of the 90's series and I liked the whole run.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 10-13-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    I enjoyed Peter Davids run.......harpoon and all, but haven't revisited it so not sure how well it holds up.
    Yes, I'm a huge fan of Peter David's Aquaman. It's a must read for any Aqua fan.

Was David's run on Aquaman ever collected in TPB?

Peter David's 90's Aquaman is definitively the high point for the character. I don't think he was ever as popular. Ever since the Atlantis Chronicles, he built the mythos of Aquaman such as it never had been done before. It called the attention of many that had never been great Aquaman fans. Erik Larsen came after David, and failed to keep up the same standards (the "edgy" art didn't help. PAD's more meat and potatoes Califore and Egaland were better). I know it's not a popular opininon, but I really loved the short Jurgens and Epiting run that followed Larsen's, before the book was canceled (and later relaunched) due to going ons in the JLA book with the Obsidian Age. Unfortunately, 90's Aquaman is one of the many criminally unpublished things in TPB DC has in it's drawers.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I enjoyed the Aquaman series(2003, vol.6 I think) after The Thirst arc concludes that is I believe referred to as the Sub Diego years. I think it starts about issue #14/15.
    The Thirst arc went 12 issues then the book had either 1 or 2 fill in issues. I enjoyed it throughly up through issue #39, cause issue #40 begins the 'One Year Later' editorial push where we have a new Arthur/Aquaman, book is subtitled Sword of Atlantis, and our Arthur has been mutated and is referred to as Dweller(although it's not revealed that's him till a few issues after) but I digress. This is ultimately why I believe he was revealed killed off(was it a JLA story) so he could be reinvented during the GL Brightest Day event along with a few other DC characters.
    That run of issues #14/15-39

I will also second vol.5- the Peter David run from the 90's
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime