Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I don't get it. I don't see that his songs or lyrics touched a chord internationally like some other people. He's certainly a huge influence on music in general, definitely his early work. I admire how he moved on to electric and rock and roll instead of not staying with folk, which had been his bread and butter for a while. However, shouldn't the first of this type have gone to the Beatles, wouldn't they fit more with the criteria as I perceive it?

Not at all. I'm not sure what angle or perspective that you're coming from, but Dylan's poetic-ism is well documented. The Beatles could write a good song, great songs often, but they were musicians, Bob Dylan was a poet filtered it through song.

Retired

The Beatles probably should get the Nobel Prize, but Dylan was already writing some introspective and observant lyrics when the Beatles were writing simple love songs. Dylan was a strong influence on the Beatles to explore lyrics with deeper levels of meaning.

So I see Dylan getting the Nobel as creating the possibility for the Beatles to be also awarded the prize in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I don't think they are allowed to make up new categories. If they were, there would be Nobel Prizes for a lot of other areas in the sciences.
    The Nobel in Economics is a made up category, so there is already a precedent.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Beatles probably should get the Nobel Prize, but Dylan was already writing some introspective and observant lyrics when the Beatles were writing simple love songs. Dylan was a strong influence on the Beatles to explore lyrics with deeper levels of meaning.

So I see Dylan getting the Nobel as creating the possibility for the Beatles to be also awarded the prize in the near future.
    I agree with your reasoning, Jim, since the Nobel was for literature. I think my issue is really that I don't think either Dylan or the Beatles are appropriate for the Nobel Literature award. I can only think of them in terms of a Music award, if there was such a thing. As far as influence on music lyrics, I still go with the Beatles because of what they created in the latter half of their career together. It would be very hard for me to come up with a second choice besides Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The Nobel in Economics is a made up category, so there is already a precedent.
    That is actually done by a different organization.

Extraordinary Member

Apparently, history was made here. Dylan is the first person to ever win a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Nobel Prize.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Apparently, history was made here. Dylan is the first person to ever win a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Nobel Prize.
    He got a Kennedy Award too some years back. The man is certainly well-accomplished.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm curious about what the opinions here are. Do you guys think Bob Dylan deserves his Nobel Prize in Literature? Was it a good decision by the Swedish Academy? Are your thoughts somewhere in the middle?

I'm completely in favor of the decision. He is arguably the best in the world in a particular form of writing (songwriting) so it makes complete sense to honor his literary accomplishments. There's a bit of an argument that it's difficult to distinguish Dylan the writer from Dylan the singer, but his songs have resulted in some excellent covers, which showcases the power of his lyrics.
    I imagine Bob Dylan's winning the Nobel Prize for literature is based in how Bob Dylan (apparently) singlehandedly captivated the world in a movement contrary to where the popular music business would have been going, as of the early 1960s. As a contemporary no-frills in-the-moment "bard" moreso than most of the more and more prolifically staged beat groups and such. Gaining much affection with artsy or creative (to not say 'literary') folks, to this day I'm told. Being mostly conjecture from my part, since I'd personally feel more of a (Peter, Paul and) Mary kind-of-guy. As well as the great albeit much later American groups such as Sir Lord Baltimore (1968) and the Meters (1969). Bards must be wasted on me I guess...
    Last edited by Kees_L; 10-15-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Retired

Literature did begin as song. It would be hard for the guys selecting the Nobel to argue that Dylan shouldn't get it, just because his words happen to be sung. They would be arguing against the very origins of literature itself. Maybe that's how the decision happened behind the scenes--those against the selection just couldn't mount a convincing argument to counter those for giving it to Bob.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Literature did begin as song. It would be hard for the guys selecting the Nobel to argue that Dylan shouldn't get it, just because his words happen to be sung. They would be arguing against the very origins of literature itself. Maybe that's how the decision happened behind the scenes--those against the selection just couldn't mount a convincing argument to counter those for giving it to Bob.
    I agree. Dylan was a balladeer, a minstril..one that told stories through songs.
    He absolutely deserves the award.

I would like to congratulation Bob Dylan, and also moderator Brian Cronin, who is probably the biggest Dylan fan I've ever seen.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Spectacular Member

Reading what you folks post, I'm gaining more appreciation for his lyrics while running the songs through my head (I love to play music in my head). Thanks, all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Did Al Gore officially get the Oscar for "Inconvenient Truth" or was he not one of the producers? Gore got a Grammy and Nobel Prize.

Almost in every language the roots of literature are deeply related to song and some of the most appreciated literary works are songs: English-Stanzaic Morte Arthur, Greek- Illiad, Spanish-Song of Mio Cid, Nordic-Eddas, etc... The novel is a rather 'new' concept. When people begun to write, their first step was to put down their oral history and mithology which had been preserved up until then through bards, minstrels and troubadours. Dylan is just the continuity of a very long and distinguished chain. A very well deserved Noble prize if you ask me. I find his lyrics haunting and I for one would love to write a comic or film script inspired by All Along the Watchtower.

"All Along The Watchtower"

"There must be some way out of here" said the joker to the thief
    "There's too much confusion", I can't get no relief
    Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth
    None of them along the line know what any of it is worth.

"No reason to get excited", the thief he kindly spoke
    "There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
    But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late".

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
    While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
    Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.