Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is anyone else uncomfortable with Watchmen characters in the DCU?

I certainly can't be the only one who feels uncomfortable with the idea of incorporating Dr. Manhattan into the mainstream DCU. Before Watchmen was uncomfortable enough when it happened. But at least it didn't do too much to mess up the continuity of the original book. With maybe the exception of implying that Dr Manhattan changed history. But this seems like an unnecessary excuse to go back to that well for no reason. I was also uncomfortable with the sequels to DKR but at least they were written by the guy who wrote the original. So his vision, much as I may not like some of it, was left intact. This just feels uncomfortable. Watchmen had a profound affect on me, like it did many comic fans. Though some of that may be an age thing. I was 20 when I first read it. I may also be biased in that I'm one of the few people who liked the New 52 Superman and thought Superman needed a reboot so maybe some of this is sour grapes but I don't think so.

This also goes to the larger question of should some stories just be left alone? Does everything need a sequel? Part of the appeal of Watchmen was the ambiguous ending. We don't know the fate of their world. And it was unaffected by Crisis despite taking place in 1985 so it was as far removed from the DCU as you can get. Should it be kept that way? Thoughts?
    Assassinate Putin!

Count as someone who is upset about this developtment. Still I will wait and see what unfolds.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I was actually uncomfortable that they weren't back in 1986.
    We had infinite Earths for them to be on...
    Or did.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

No, you are not alone. When I first saw Batman finding the bloody happy face button, I didn't like it at all. I mean, Watchmen is really a piece of art. It came along at a specific point in history and was an exploration of comics and the real life vices and virtues of human beings. And it was written by someone who became regarded as one of the best/the best comic writers ever. I actually have come to appreciate Watchmen over time for what it is. It actually kind of disgusts me to see them using the characters in this way.

But I understand what is going on. Comics/comic characters have hit a big boom with T.V., movies, video games, and other products. And when anything is hot, the big wigs who are concerned with profits get involved and start directing things. I am not naïve. I know that money has always been involved but when a lot of money gets involved, a lot of people get involved as well. Throwing in the characters of Watchmen to get interest and turn sales around . . . it's just gross.

On the other hand, DC owns the copyrights to the characters and they have every right to do what they want with they have. That just doesn't change the feelings of grossness though.

Invincible Member

I am. It's like having James Bond team up with Austin Powers.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I am. It's like having James Bond team up with Austin Powers.
    Oh, I think that would be a helluva lot of fun!
    WHO DAT?!!

I kind of hope its just Manhattan, and Ozy is just something he created.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of Dr Manhattan as a "bad guy". The guy is certainly detached from humanity, which is not really his fault, but I never sensed any real malevolence in him.

Nor do I agree with Geoff Johns's view that Manhattan embodies "cynicism." The Comedian, Rorschach and Ozymandias are all deeply cynical characters but Manhattan is simply an evolved being who sees reality as it is without any illusions. There is a difference between realism and cynicism and I'm not sure Johns is a subtle enough writer to understand that.
    Last edited by Dr Quinch; 10-14-2016 at 05:05 PM.

I don't care at all. I put Alan Moore as the number 1 comic writer of all time. I don't think at any level he loses to anyone. Not critical acclaim, sales, craft, variety of story and tone. By no measure is anyone his equal.

It's just comic book characters. He wrote Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, ect... The Watchman are actually based on properties that DC purchased and were in fact originally just another imagining of those corporate characters. I'm sure most of you know they changed them to "original" characters because they were worried the corporate owned heroes would become too damaged and unusable.

It's just a comic story. Like it or not, love it or hate it, nothing changes Alan Moore's work unless published by Marvel

And just saying after I saw the posters name above me DR & Quinch was Hilarious.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It doesn't really bother me because I don't consider them to be actually in the DCU (as in them becoming a permanent fixture therein) at all though they are certainly interfering with the DCU. I simply think they are interfering from somewhere outside of the DCU. That probably sounds strange but that's the way I see it right now.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I don't have any faith that DC will do right by The Watchmen characters. They have already been set up as the villains and they don't deserve that. DC is attempting to take some very complex characters and fit them into the the DCU where there is usually a firm dividing line between good and evil. If Batman and Flash are on one side, they will be the heroes. Thus Dr. Manhattan and, I dunno, Nite Owl must be the bad guys.

I'm getting a weird Zero Hour/Parallax vibe from all this, and I hope it's not that.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

The whole premise seems to be blaming Watchmen for turning DC into a darker comics company when that's ridiculous
    Batman being popular did that

Retired

I really don't like this turn of events at all.

But if I can put a dispassionate spin on it, imagine it's like DC just acquired the rights to WATCHMEN from another publisher. It fits with the way that DC has acquired/licensed rights in the past and then they try to find a way to squeeze the heroes into their universe or multiverse. If you look at it like past acquisitions/licensing of Fawcett, Quality, Charlton, Red Circle, Tower (THUNDER Agents), Wildstorm, undsoweiter--then it's absurdly true to form for DC. It's just that DC didn't acquire these guys recently.

BANNED

I have no problem with it. They are all just funnybook characters. Ink on paper designed to entertain.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I have no problem with it. They are all just funnybook characters. Ink on paper designed to entertain.
    Yep. That's how I look at it.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG