Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Funny, the book has a retcon that doesn't really change much in the Marvel Universe except Fury's role.

It's actually connecting Hickman's SHIELD book to the modern Marvel Universe.

As an aside, Fury must be a very agile elderly person to have a son around Fury Jr's age.
    Except not really, because 'the man on the wall' doesn't seem to be organizationally connected in any way to the rest of the Shield from Hickman's SHIELD book, other than by Howard Stark and others providing toys and weapons.

And presumably the entire Infinity Formula thing was a true story at least up until Jr's conception.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 07-09-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    This is the thing that annoyed me the most with this issue: the date period.
    The FF were retconned into repelling Galactus for the first time around the years 99-00's in MA#9, with the Age of Marvels starting around this same time period.
    So, how does that fit continuity-wise then ?
    Or is it another case of editors going AWOL on the titles/events they oversee ?
    The comic doesn't say that the scene with Spider-Man was in the 1960s, that's all Jackolover referencing the publication year. This story does nothing to contradict the sliding timeline.

Extraordinary Member

My least enjoyable issue so far. Kinda cool though. Shows how good this series/event has been.

Fantastic Member

We're gonna find out, that Nick Fury was really the Beyonder, all along.

... and all that illegal surveillance by Shield, was because Nick was desperate to understand human desire.

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    We're gonna find out, that Nick Fury was really the Beyonder, all along.

... and all that illegal surveillance by Shield, was because Nick was desperate to understand human desire.
    And then Jr. turns out to be Molecule Man in disguise. Secret Wars III begins.
    Currently Reading:

DC: Justice League, Multiversity, Batman

Marvel: Avengers, New Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunes View Post
    You have a very interesting definition on what the word tantrum means there, sir/madam.

Also, there can be a myriad of tiers on what ridiculous is. James Bond is ridiculous in that there are cars that can go under water. If the next film has him shooting anti-matter rounds from a nuclear powered unicycle, it would ape what we considered was viable to one of those suspension of disbelief moments. The reason I bring up JB as example is because in a sense, it is a similar character archetype and I feel the comparison made there is similar in scope to what has just been revealed now.
    Except that Fury has always been more in anti-matter rounds from a nuclear-powered unicycle territory, at least from the Steranko days and to some degree from his introduction as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Okay, maybe not quite that loony, or not consistently, but SHIELD always had LMDs and not just submersible, but *flying* cars. And it's not as though SHIELD hasn't dealt with alien threats before, even beyond SWORD supposedly being an offshoot, just not this extensively.

The problem isn't so much this sort of thing being outside Fury's wheelhouse, as that it shows him having access to resources he might well have used in many stories where, heroes taking point or not, it looked like everything was going to hell unless somebody pulled out the big guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
    If Fury has been secretly stopping alien global threats, what's the point of the Agent Brand led S.W.O.R.D?
    What if Fury set up S.W.O.R.D. because he realized he could no longer commit to that area of defense? Or realized he wasn't all that good at it in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I especially liked the moment in time when the super heroes arrived on the scene and Nick with gun in hand was ready to make the choice to wipe them out, or see what they could do for the world. He had seen Captain America (who was then dead), the Human Torch, and the Mystery Men, and they were helpful in the War. These new monsters and super men had the potential to be useful too. So he didn't kill the kid dressed like a spider, but I do like that moment of indecision. After Fury took on the Man on the Wall, Aliens mentioned that super humans on Earth would be hindrance to attack, so later, when he was inclined to act against Spiderman, he had second thoughts. I would have liked to have seen Nicks face when the FF and Avengers appeared, and Cap returned. Up to that point, in 1961, Nick was the only person who was in a position to be the hit man of the Aliens. (Wolverine and Sabretooth were loose canons and lone wolves and wouldn't get involved with this, perhaps because Wolverine was just out of the tub from Weapon X). To my mind, Nick would have felt some sort of relief, as well as apprehension, at the appearance of the super heroes, because so many new villains started to appear along side them. Does he kill the villains, or does he leave it to the super heroes, because they seemed to be taking care of it? That transition from being the lone gunman, to seeing the cavalry come over the hill, would be a wonderful time for Nick, and he would have wonderful stories to tell the super heroes once his secret life was exposed, like it is today in Original Sin. This should be a time where Nick takes his super heroes aside and thanks them for their input, or berates them for ruining everything. Bigger things have to be said in this series. I hope they get said.

It's why Aliens have kept saying, stay away from Earth. You cannot defeat humans. Humans may look unsophisticated, and during the Monster Age, when a huge level of aliens visited Earth, there was ample opportunity to take over the planet, but nothing eventuates, did it. There were no super heroes around then, just ordinary humans willing to take guard. It must have been difficult for Nick to decide, is that a Monster again, or a hero?
    It wasn't 1961, it was no more than fourteen years ago.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Also, can you imagine all the kinds of flashback miniseries they could now do with his character? Wouldn't it be interesting to see what he was up to when Secret Wars was going on? Or all those times the Kree and the Skrulls went to war?
    Marvel already tried that with the Illuminati mini, and ehhh.

Fantastic Member

Sign me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunes View Post
    And then Jr. turns out to be Molecule Man in disguise. Secret Wars III begins.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    It wasn't 1961, it was no more than fourteen years ago.
    I know, the sliding time line. Yech.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I know, the sliding time line. Yech.
    Did Avengers 1959 happen now or is that not canon? It says the date in the title... Nick Fury's Avengers were fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Did Avengers 1959 happen now or is that not canon? It says the date in the title... Nick Fury's Avengers were fun.
    No, it happened when they said, just like WWII was still in the 1940s and had Cap and Subby and original Torch (and Nick!) in it. Those are all characters with enhanced longevity from one source or another, before the modern age of Marvels kicked off by the FF, so it poses no problems with either the sliding timeline or continuity in general.

Frank Castle's war being Vietnam potentially poses some issues, however.

Mighty Avengers has been handling the whole sliding timeline thing very adroitly in filling in Blue Marvel/Dr. Brashear's backstory between when he turned in the costume at a previous POTUS's request and when he came back into the limelight quite recently, after the Avengers had been around for more than a decade. The flashbacks reference specific dates when period dress and current events (like the fear of Y2K) and so on are important and it's more than two decades ago, but are coy about the dates and just say 'a little before the modern heroic age' or 'shortly after the FF showed up' as they get closer to the present, so they don't need to be adjusted later on as the timeline continues to slide.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 07-11-2014 at 09:48 AM.