Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    I like this. But I don't think this is exactly what the writer had in mind. I DO think the writer is implying that, through technology or gumption, or whatever, that Nick Fury did deal with Thanos-level threats. It's not as much of a revelation if it's just like 'I dealt with the little stuff compared to you guys.'

But this take on it makes me feel better about the whole thing and if nothing directly contradicts it going forward, I'm going to take this as my canon for this situation. That Nick Fury, the Unseen, was a kind of last-ditch effort of resisting an insane universe, and SHIELD, SWORD, and TIME were sort of set up for the same reason, and then one day, sort of out of the blue, superbeings began to walk among us in great numbers, and everything changed. That's a version of history I can enjoy. Like I said, I don't think that's what the writer intends, but thanks to you it's how I'm taking it.
    Yeah, Thanks for including the part about SHIELD and the others being set-up for the same reason. That sounds about right too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I'm as big a Nick Fury fan as they come. I love the fact he is the "guiding hand" of the Marvel Universe, so to speak. That he is the ultimate super spy whose actions can be felt everywhere, but nobody even knows it. I think this is just an extension of that, but taking it to a cosmic level. I'm not a 100% on board with this, though. It seems, like many of you are saying, that it's far fetched to think that Nick has the ability to kill a planet or something like that. That just sounds silly.

I do like the idea that he tackles problems before they can develop, even if it is at a cosmic stage. I think that's somewhat reasonable and goes along with the character. Nick doesn't like to be reactionary, he likes to make it so problems don't happen at all. But perhaps they are taking it too far and they're turning Fury into this weird demigod. What is this nonsense that the bullets he's using can take out Thor? I mean, why does he have this technology, but nobody else does? I think they're pushing past common sense and reason.

I do think he's looking for a successor. I'm really on the fence if I want it to be Bucky or not. I was hoping it would be Nick Fury Jr or Coulson. I realize they're new characters, but the movie-verse often times dictates what happens in the comics. But Bucky being the "man on the wall" or even just normal Nick Fury kind of sucks because Nick Fury's character works best when he is used sparingly, I think. Especially if he's combating terrestrial threats, cosmic threats, and magic-related threats. That's a lot to do. So, fingers crossed Bucky walks away from this in-tact.

Overall, I don't want to condemn the book for ruining Fury's character, but I'm concerned. I'm worried that they're going to paint a picture of Fury that just doesn't make sense. I don't know if he's going to die, take the Watcher's place, or (and I don't see anyone suggesting this) he'll get healed up/de-aged and start kicking even more ass. I was really enjoying this series. It had all the characters I really love. Now I'll be looking forward to the next issue with real concern rather than excitement.

I got the feeling that what Nick has been doing is more along the lines of nipping things in the bud before they can get anywhere. I also got the feeling that there are so many problems that he can only catch a few and only before they spiral out of control. If one slips by his net, then the heroes are there to take care of it. I understand what you're saying, but I think what Nick is doing is all about preventing things from happening rather than reacting to them happening. All about early intervention.
    I can't see Nick as the Hyperion of the Marvel Universe Earth-616, where he has all the answers. I don't think he has that much firepower, or that much logistics that he can follow all the cosmic beings activities. He had to be lucky to get the Living Planet intel to kill it. I think Nick is limited because he is just a human with very good intel, and Alien Tech he has confiscated. He isn't on the level of the super humans, but Nick is trying to improvise and get the same result as super humans. I don't know how Nick felt about Civil War, from the aspect that Super Humans were being distracted from their chosen duty to protect the Earth. But I think the super humans became the front line of anything threatening Earth, and the other subsidiary organisations were there to scoop up.

What the Unseens status is in the functionality of Earth security, is difficult to define? Is it so important as to say the Earth is unbeatable? I've read Aliens conferring on this and they say don't come to Earth because nobodies beaten them, so there has been a myth spring up around this invulnerability. If it turns out this is all due to Nick Fury the Unseen, then that's a pretty important role of the Unseen. One wonders where all the other multiversal Unseen are and what they have been doing, or is their only one reality where the Unseen are active - Earth-616?

This issue wasn't for me.

This is my idea of who Nick Fury is...

TheRealNickFury.jpg

What OS 5 would have you believe is that all these years that Nick Fury was defending Earth against AIM and Hydra (globe spanning threats that would have been too pervasive for a single superhero) he had access to hyper advanced alien detection equipment and magic god-killer bullets AND was able to jump from space, to the Dark Dimension and the Mole Man's underworld kingdom with no trouble at all.

That's just stupid.

For one, how many alien threats have shown up on Earth? Oh, just about a million. In Fantastic Four alone. In the Marvel Universe as a whole, alien threats have been a backbone of almost half of every major event. So, if Fury was the Man on the Wall, he was doing a cruddy job.

The fundamental problem is that they retconned a character when they could have just made up a new one altogether and it would have worked better. Retconning Fury diminishes his previous adventures by saying that was just his day job. His REAL job was when he was shooting up giant demons in Dormmamu's backyard and nobody noticed for the last 40 years!

The Anatomy Lesson this ain't!

BANNED

It's just unbelievable for Nick to be that.

The art is awesome though.

No longer interested with OS.

Quote Originally Posted by JimShelley View Post
    This issue wasn't for me.

This is my idea of who Nick Fury is...

TheRealNickFury.jpg

What OS 5 would have you believe is that all these years that Nick Fury was defending Earth against AIM and Hydra (globe spanning threats that would have been too pervasive for a single superhero) he had access to hyper advanced alien detection equipment and magic god-killer bullets AND was able to jump from space, to the Dark Dimension and the Mole Man's underworld kingdom with no trouble at all.

That's just stupid.

For one, how many alien threats have shown up on Earth? Oh, just about a million. In Fantastic Four alone. In the Marvel Universe as a whole, alien threats have been a backbone of almost half of every major event. So, if Fury was the Man on the Wall, he was doing a cruddy job.

The fundamental problem is that they retconned a character when they could have just made up a new one altogether and it would have worked better. Retconning Fury diminishes his previous adventures by saying that was just his day job. His REAL job was when he was shooting up giant demons in Dormmamu's backyard and nobody noticed for the last 40 years!

The Anatomy Lesson this ain't!
    It may be hard to reconcile the hidden history going on around Nick Fury and the Man on the Wall. I have no trouble with this, because he's been the man of mystery for so long, I'd be disappointed if he didn't have something like this going on in the background, simply because Nick holds all the secrets. What's he supposed to be doing? Sending post cards with anonymous signatures?

I've always wondered how Nick Fury was invited to be the DoS out of nowhere, when he had been just a lowly Sargent in the army. It makes more sense if Tony Stark took over his fathers business and installed Nick in SHIELD as the subsidiary to Nicks Man on the Wall. What this may dredge up is that Tony Stark always knew Nick was the Unseen. Did Tony know about Nick being the Unseen?
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-03-2014 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It may be hard to reconcile the hidden history going on around Nick Fury and the Man on the Wall. I have no trouble with this, because he's been the man of mystery for so long, I'd be disappointed if he didn't have something like this going on in the background, simply because Nick holds all the secrets. What's he supposed to be doing? Sending post cards with anonymous signatures?

I've always wondered how Nick Fury was invited to be the DoS out of nowhere, when he had been just a lowly Sargent in the army. It makes more sense if Tony Stark took over his fathers business and installed Nick in SHIELD as the subsidiary to Nicks Man on the Wall. What this may dredge up is that Tony Stark always knew Nick was the Unseen. Did Tony know about Nick being the Unseen?
    I don't know...I just think it's far fetched that no one (Dr. Strange, Reed Richards, Professor X, etc...) never knew Nick Fury was out there jumping from planet to planet, dimension to dimension shooting aliens and monsters, and just leaving the bodies behind, and no one ever noticed and said anything about it. Even it Tony Stark _did_ know, then how about in this flashback issue we see some hints that Nick help defend Earth in the background of The Kree/Skrull war or Civil War or when Galactus first showed up. As it is, because none of the threats Nick supposedly took out have any connection to Marvel stories in the past, it's hard to see what value he brought to the whole Earth vs Aliens thing anyway.

It would be like if all of a sudden Batman said, oh, btw, I've always been defending Earth from Phantom Zone escapees and the Weaponers of Qward with my secret power gauntlets and arcane helmet of truth.
    That whole dark knight detective was just sort of my day gig.

You want to know my theory on this?

Someone saw this cover as a kid, got a wacky idea for a story and then turned it into Original Sins.

shield6.jpg

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Solving things with bullets just seems like a stupid idea, regardless of whether it's Fury doing it or McCord or anybody.

Riiiight... people have been handling demons and stuff with bullets, even special bullets. Just utterly preposterous.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    I was really enjoying this event up to this point. Like, a lot.

But after this issue Im not sure if I'm even going to bother any more. Fan fiction garbage nonsense completely retconing a classic character for no reason, not to mention the issue not progressing the main story in ANY meaningful way. Disappointed. .
    My thoughts exactly. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry disapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Solving things with bullets just seems like a stupid idea, regardless of whether it's Fury doing it or McCord or anybody.

Riiiight... people have been handling demons and stuff with bullets, even special bullets. Just utterly preposterous.
    Fury is the ultimate cowboy.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

STRONGEST_STRIKER

So he has the intel and means to kill everything from monsters to gods to planets but couldn't foresee Osborn, Cul, or the Sentry...

Fury is good, not omnipotent.
    It's like everyone gloss over this simple fact but the truth is: he can't be everywhere, every time, foreseeing everything.
    This issue showed his influence and domain of intervention were far wider than anything we thought.
    Didn't show it was limitless though.
    It is FINITE, thus why he missed Cul, SI and co.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I think, if this the central tenet of Original Sin, that Fury is the Unseen, Man on the Wall, that this is a worthwhile revelation in the Event. It is a really big thing, and ties to so many things that are still hidden.
    That part of it is a nice idea. If Fury has been around for 60 years but super heroes for only 15 or so then it makes sense that someone was handling the odd threat and that it could be him. My complaint is that I do not think it was told properly. His actions and capabilities are too grand in scale which is hard to reconcile with the actions we have always known about. Even the scene with Spider-Man could have been handled better. It works in showing that this is the moment Fury knows there are other protectors of Earth and not just threats, but it feels odd that he was about to murder Spider-Man. That comes across as sloppy and not something you would expect from the super spy with the master plans.

Quote Originally Posted by JimShelley View Post
    Not to derail the topic, but this is why I would not care if Marvel officially rebooted from time to time.

If I do not think about the details too hard I can enjoy the new spin on Fury. It still seems like a concept that can work. Usually it takes the idea being used by a few later writers for it to reach the level of absurdity Aaron managed to achieve right out of the gate.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

I've thoroughly enjoyed Original Sin up until this point, but I found this issue painfully boring. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I find Nick Fury really dull, thus this issue didn't really pique my interest.
    I'll still be picking up the next issue though.

BANNED

That entire flashback could have really been condensed into one page. The whole alien fight and death of McCord was worthless. And this whole cosmic assassin role for Fury really makes no sense and doesn't fit at all with anything, ever. To accept it, we have to accept that he's done a lot of loafing on the job for decades.
    Well it would explain his constant use of LMDs.

BANNED

Still wondering if we'll get a replacement Watcher at the end of this.

And if we do, will he be like Uatu and interfere at times or will it be a completely neutral character?