Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,183

    Default Would Stan Lee view Peter Parker as "a villain"?

    Or rather, a villain to himself?

    This is in regards to the statement made by Slott, in a recent interview, and I quote:

    People say to me, 'Who's your favorite Spider-Man villain?' and my answer is Peter Parker, because no-one can mess up Spider-Man's life like Peter Parker can.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ins-why-937669

    Then afterward on Twitter, someone posted this:



    I ask, is this really the kind of comment Stan Lee would've said in the 60's? Is it a little presumptuous of this person to be putting words in Lee's mouth like that?

    Or is this a statement that Lee actually made at some point, and this poster just didn't bother to substantiate when or if Lee actually said it?
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 10-15-2016 at 02:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member electr1cgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Slott seems to enjoy rattling cages. My guess is that a lot of what he says is in an effort to get reactions, which he does. It's hard to say how much of it he really believes.

    Obviously, though, whoever is asking him this question isn't interested in any kind of navel gazing or introspection about the nature of villainy. They just want to know if he likes the Green Goblin better than the Vulture, etc. And he knows this. So he's being cheeky; no idea why, maybe that's just the way he is.

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Slott seems to enjoy rattling cages. My guess is that a lot of what he says is in an effort to get reactions, which he does. It's hard to say how much of it he really believes.

    Obviously, though, whoever is asking him this question isn't interested in any kind of navel gazing or introspection about the nature of villainy. They just want to know if he likes the Green Goblin better than the Vulture, etc. And he knows this. So he's being cheeky; no idea why, maybe that's just the way he is.
    Well on one hand, sure, it's arguably cropped up a lot in Slott's run, that Peter could be considered his own worst enemy. And yeah, he aims to wind people up with statements like that. But that's not really what I'm asking here.

    My question is, has Stan Lee made such a claim? Can some Stan experts help out here?

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Slott seems to enjoy rattling cages. My guess is that a lot of what he says is in an effort to get reactions, which he does. It's hard to say how much of it he really believes....
    Exactly, the guy has gotten rather skilled at upsetting people. I for one no longer take his bait.
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."

  5. #5
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,115

    Default

    A hero being their own worst enemy isn't really a new idea. Although I'm not sure I'd agree that works with Peter Parker. I understand the sentiment, and certainly being Spider-Man really messes up Peter's life, but when you fight people like Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus...

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Exactly, the guy has gotten rather skilled at upsetting people. I for one no longer take his bait.
    After he tweeted that, several of his followers began harassing and insulting me, and I had to block and report them just to get them off my back. When I tried to listen to music to get myself to feel better, I ended up crying instead. One poster asked me something like "You do know that Stan Lee said the exact same thing, right?", and then could not find a source anyway. I absolutely do not believe Stan Lee would have said that. At most, he'd say something similar, but there'd something distinctive. Stan Lee's name seems to be used here only as an appeal to authority.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    A hero being their own worst enemy isn't really a new idea. Although I'm not sure I'd agree that works with Peter Parker. I understand the sentiment, and certainly being Spider-Man really messes up Peter's life, but when you fight people like Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus...
    That's not his point though. He's saying Peter Parker and his flaws and tendency to screw up is his own biggest enemy.

  8. #8
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    That's not his point though. He's saying Peter Parker and his flaws and tendency to screw up is his own biggest enemy.
    Uuhh, I know that. It's not really a new idea, as I said. And I understand the sentiment. I'm just not sure Peter being his own worst enemy really works when he fights people like Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus.

    Think about it. The worst that has happened to Peter in this run was Superior. But how was that Peter's fault? That was Doctor Octopus screwing up his life. (Unless you're gonna make the argument that Peter should have killed Otto at some point before Superior.)

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    After he tweeted that, several of his followers began harassing and insulting me, and I had to block and report them just to get them off my back. When I tried to listen to music to get myself to feel better, I ended up crying instead. One poster asked me something like "You do know that Stan Lee said the exact same thing, right?", and then could not find a source anyway. I absolutely do not believe Stan Lee would have said that. At most, he'd say something similar, but there'd something distinctive. Stan Lee's name seems to be used here only as an appeal to authority.
    Poor baby, need a hug?
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Poor baby, need a hug?
    Nah, I've already been preparing to hear that I deserved to have him send a mob against me. You know, because it's me.

  11. #11
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Nah, I've already been preparing to hear that I deserved to have him send a mob against me. You know, because it's me.
    If there's anything we can do, don't be afraid to ask.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,273

    Default

    I am afraid. This thread had a debate about whether or not Slott encourages his followers to harass people. When I tried to press the issue, I was accused of "moving the goal posts" or "shifting to another complaint". When I try to defend myself by pointing out how unfair and false those accusations are, my post is deleted so I could be silenced and allowing the accusations to stand. And now, the very thing I was arguing about is not only proven right, but it occurs on a wider scale than before.

    Back on topic, just because Slott believes Stan Lee would have said it doesn't mean that Stan Lee actually would have said it. So yes, it is presumptuous to put words in Stan Lee's mouth like that.

  13. #13
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    40,448

    Default

    I think Lee would look at it in regards to how the Parker Luck traditionally worked, in that choosing to be Spider-Man and save people on a daily basis often had consequences for his life as Peter Parker, so Peter wasn't so much the villain of his own life but that doing the right thing and being the hero had drawbacks on his personal life.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,273

    Default

    Exactly. Just because he doesn't have the best management skills doesn't make him a "villain".

  15. #15
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    It's usually spiderman that messes up Peter parker's life.

    Also why does this matter?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •