Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Would Stan Lee view Peter Parker as "a villain"?

Or rather, a villain to himself?

This is in regards to the statement made by Slott, in a recent interview, and I quote:

People say to me, 'Who's your favorite Spider-Man villain?' and my answer is Peter Parker, because no-one can mess up Spider-Man's life like Peter Parker can.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ins-why-937669

Then afterward on Twitter, someone posted this:

I ask, is this really the kind of comment Stan Lee would've said in the 60's? Is it a little presumptuous of this person to be putting words in Lee's mouth like that?

Or is this a statement that Lee actually made at some point, and this poster just didn't bother to substantiate when or if Lee actually said it?
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 10-15-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Slott seems to enjoy rattling cages. My guess is that a lot of what he says is in an effort to get reactions, which he does. It's hard to say how much of it he really believes.

Obviously, though, whoever is asking him this question isn't interested in any kind of navel gazing or introspection about the nature of villainy. They just want to know if he likes the Green Goblin better than the Vulture, etc. And he knows this. So he's being cheeky; no idea why, maybe that's just the way he is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Slott seems to enjoy rattling cages. My guess is that a lot of what he says is in an effort to get reactions, which he does. It's hard to say how much of it he really believes.

Obviously, though, whoever is asking him this question isn't interested in any kind of navel gazing or introspection about the nature of villainy. They just want to know if he likes the Green Goblin better than the Vulture, etc. And he knows this. So he's being cheeky; no idea why, maybe that's just the way he is.
    Well on one hand, sure, it's arguably cropped up a lot in Slott's run, that Peter could be considered his own worst enemy. And yeah, he aims to wind people up with statements like that. But that's not really what I'm asking here.

My question is, has Stan Lee made such a claim? Can some Stan experts help out here?

Slott seems to enjoy rattling cages. My guess is that a lot of what he says is in an effort to get reactions, which he does. It's hard to say how much of it he really believes....
    Exactly, the guy has gotten rather skilled at upsetting people. I for one no longer take his bait.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

A hero being their own worst enemy isn't really a new idea. Although I'm not sure I'd agree that works with Peter Parker. I understand the sentiment, and certainly being Spider-Man really messes up Peter's life, but when you fight people like Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    A hero being their own worst enemy isn't really a new idea. Although I'm not sure I'd agree that works with Peter Parker. I understand the sentiment, and certainly being Spider-Man really messes up Peter's life, but when you fight people like Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus...
    That's not his point though. He's saying Peter Parker and his flaws and tendency to screw up is his own biggest enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    That's not his point though. He's saying Peter Parker and his flaws and tendency to screw up is his own biggest enemy.
    Uuhh, I know that. It's not really a new idea, as I said. And I understand the sentiment. I'm just not sure Peter being his own worst enemy really works when he fights people like Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus.

Think about it. The worst that has happened to Peter in this run was Superior. But how was that Peter's fault? That was Doctor Octopus screwing up his life. (Unless you're gonna make the argument that Peter should have killed Otto at some point before Superior.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Exactly, the guy has gotten rather skilled at upsetting people. I for one no longer take his bait.
    After he tweeted that, several of his followers began harassing and insulting me, and I had to block and report them just to get them off my back. When I tried to listen to music to get myself to feel better, I ended up crying instead. One poster asked me something like "You do know that Stan Lee said the exact same thing, right?", and then could not find a source anyway. I absolutely do not believe Stan Lee would have said that. At most, he'd say something similar, but there'd something distinctive. Stan Lee's name seems to be used here only as an appeal to authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    After he tweeted that, several of his followers began harassing and insulting me, and I had to block and report them just to get them off my back. When I tried to listen to music to get myself to feel better, I ended up crying instead. One poster asked me something like "You do know that Stan Lee said the exact same thing, right?", and then could not find a source anyway. I absolutely do not believe Stan Lee would have said that. At most, he'd say something similar, but there'd something distinctive. Stan Lee's name seems to be used here only as an appeal to authority.
    Poor baby, need a hug?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Poor baby, need a hug?
    Nah, I've already been preparing to hear that I deserved to have him send a mob against me. You know, because it's me.

BANNED

Poor baby, need a hug?
    You hopefully will never have to deal with that sort of online harassment.

I agree. I think he really does enjoy the trolling because it gets attention. Attention is the first step towards generating interest. Interest is the next step in getting people to buy or become invested in his books. It's marketing, plain and simple. Based on the sale of Amazing Spider-Man, it works pretty darn well so Slott has to be doing something right.

That said, it's hard to say how Stan Lee really feels about the current take on Peter Parker. Lee can't really come out and attack Marvel for how they're handling his characters. He has no control over them and hasn't for years. If he were to attack, that would damage his brand and Marvel's. Neither of them would benefit from it. They'd both look bad in the eyes of fans, investors, etc. So it's perfectly understandable that he would keep his opinions to himself. Personally, I can't see how he would be completely okay with the current take on Spider-Man. But that's just me.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.