Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How are Americans of different backgrounds treated in their ancestral homelands?

After reading this article about Irish-Americans not being considered "Irish" in Ireland: http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/wh...7011-237761281

I have come to pose similar questions to other ethnic groups that have taken roots in the United States. Like the above article, I thought that if an Irish-American were to go to Ireland, they would be considered by the local Irish as one of their own, despite having their non-Irish citizenship noticed clear as day, but after reading it, it turns out to be the opposite and I became both surprised and unsurprised to learn that the Irish considered their overseas cousins to be "Americans" for the most part, even if their family are of purely Irish descent and blood and are raised Irish Catholic.

So for other ethnic groups, I wondered how are Italian-Americans treated by the Italians of Italy, how are Scottish-Americans treated by the Scots of Scotland, how are Chicanos or Mexican-Americans treated by the Mexicans of Mexico, how are Chinese-Americans treated by the Chinese of China/Taiwan/Hong Kong, how are African-Americans treated by the native Africans of African countries, and so on and so forth for others. First thing I will notice is that, when X-Americans try to speak their native non-English tongue in their parent's countries, their natural accent will obviously sound far removed from the locals.

And overall, why do the native or local inhabitants of different countries treat their American cousins or descendants as not [insert original ethnicity or national identity here], but rather just "American"? You'd think based on having the same blood and ancestry, they'd be treated the same, but why are they treated as different, even if they look the same?

And for a bonus scenario: How are Canadians, Brits, or Australians or even Latin Americans of different backgrounds treated in their ancestral homelands outside of these places? Is it the same as with Americans? Or is it different?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    After reading this article about Irish-Americans not being considered "Irish" in Ireland: http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/wh...7011-237761281

I have come to pose similar questions to other ethnic groups that have taken roots in the United States. Like the above article, I thought that if an Irish-American were to go to Ireland, they would be considered by the local Irish as one of their own, despite having their non-Irish citizenship noticed clear as day, but after reading it, it turns out to be the opposite and I became both surprised and unsurprised to learn that the Irish considered their overseas cousins to be "Americans" for the most part, even if their family are of purely Irish descent and blood and are raised Irish Catholic.

So for other ethnic groups, I wondered how are Italian-Americans treated by the Italians of Italy, how are Scottish-Americans treated by the Scots of Scotland, how are Chicanos or Mexican-Americans treated by the Mexicans of Mexico, how are Chinese-Americans treated by the Chinese of China/Taiwan/Hong Kong, how are African-Americans treated by the native Africans of African countries, and so on and so forth for others. First thing I will notice is that, when X-Americans try to speak their native non-English tongue in their parent's countries, their natural accent will obviously sound far removed from the locals.

And overall, why do the native or local inhabitants of different countries treat their American cousins or descendants as not [insert original ethnicity or national identity here], but rather just "American"? You'd think based on having the same blood and ancestry, they'd be treated the same, but why are they treated as different, even if they look the same?

And for a bonus scenario: How are Canadians, Brits, or Australians or even Latin Americans of different backgrounds treated in their ancestral homelands outside of these places? Is it the same as with Americans? Or is it different?
    I don't know if that is just one story or representative of all Irish people. I doubt it is.

I'm Irish American and I've been to Ireland. I can't say I met any of my family there because my great, great grandparents came to America from Tyrone Co. Ireland in the mid 1800's. But when my wife and I were there, we were treated great. They are very friendly and polite.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I don't know if that is just one story or representative of all Irish people. I doubt it is.

I'm Irish American and I've been to Ireland. I can't say I met any of my family there because my great, great grandparents came to America from Tyrone Co. Ireland in the mid 1800's. But when my wife and I were there, we were treated great. They are very friendly and polite.
    Did they perceive you as being more American or more Irish?

Well, it's probably different for every individual. Of course you are going to be treated as an American, because you are. You are from America. If you settle in the country and become part of the community, you will likely be accepted; but, you aren't a native. That's true of just about any country. It depends on the community, how you act and how the people receive you. there is no definitive experience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Well, it's probably different for every individual. Of course you are going to be treated as an American, because you are. You are from America. If you settle in the country and become part of the community, you will likely be accepted; but, you aren't a native. That's true of just about any country. It depends on the community, how you act and how the people receive you. there is no definitive experience.
    I would think some ethnic groups would vary in their experiences. For example, Korean-Americans in Korea would still be treated as Koreans most likely.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

It depends on what, exactly, you mean. Culture means more than blood. From what I've been told by Korean-Americans, if you've become very westernized, you're not treated as well in Korea. It's not too different for places in Europe. Just because you've got Irish blood doesn't make you Irish culturally. Of course, it helps that the cultures aren't as different.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    It depends on what, exactly, you mean. Culture means more than blood. From what I've been told by Korean-Americans, if you've become very westernized, you're not treated as well in Korea. It's not too different for places in Europe. Just because you've got Irish blood doesn't make you Irish culturally. Of course, it helps that the cultures aren't as different.
    Why are you not treated well in Korea if you're westernized? Aren't East Asian societies nowadays pretty "Westernized" in technology, media, and lifestyle?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Why are you not treated well in Korea if you're westernized? Aren't East Asian societies nowadays pretty "Westernized" in technology, media, and lifestyle?
    Depends on what you consider "westernized." I'm not sure what a hugely "Western" technology would be. Or, an "Eastern," for that matter. But, applications of tech become cultural very quickly and sometimes decisively.

But, yes, a Korean-American is, generally, American to Koreans, and Chinese American or ABC (not the same thing, but related) aren't necessarily Chinese, the way that a Cherokee born and raised in France as a French citizen is essentially French and not American or "Western Hemisphere."

Countries are countries. They have citizens. Cultures have people who live and participate in them, shaped by them. Lineage, alone, doesn't really carry much of that.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 10-17-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

Wife is one quarter Irish. Her features are very Italian buy skin and hair is Irish. They treated her as one of their own but an American. They treated me very well also although there's not much that looks or is Irish in me. They like Americans period, I think. One family we met invited us to their home. This was around '94 or '95.

I am half Hungarian and look it. Went there around '95 or '96. This may have been a little too soon after Communism was done away with; there was not much effort to accommodate any foreigners and few spoke English. It was like they didn't know what tourism was. Everything was dirt cheap though, we were like millionaires and I was tipping everybody a week's salary. Public transportation was funky but very efficient so we backpacked the whole time. Anyhow, Hungarians aren't the most friendly people under any circumstances, we were prepared for that. They knew buy looking at me that I had a lot of Hungarian in me. Some came up to me speaking the language (which is one of the most difficult in the world). They cooled off very much after learning I was a Westerner. College students and Dutch people were very cool and knew English.

I think both of the experiences went with the personality of the country (Ireland and Hungary), more than being a foreigner. Wife has relatives who are part Australian, they are like the Irish and very open, from talking to the relatives. I am also one quarter German. There were a lot of Germans in Hungary. I didn't like anything about them and would never go there.
    Last edited by Filament; 10-18-2016 at 10:32 AM.

As someone from England, I agree with those who say that you are generally likely to be defined where you grew up and where you live, rather than from descent. I wouldn't consider someone with English parents who was brought up in the US but who hasn't lived in England to be English, if that's important, which I don't see why it would be. Likewise, though my Mum comes from outside England, I would consider myself to be solely English. And British, of course. And European (though not for much longer an EU citizen, sadly).

I do think it can be more complicated than that depending on the community you belong too within a country, though, so it's tricky to generalize. From my perspective, I found the piece you linked to rather curious. I can't see how not being perceived to be Irish by the inhabitants of Ireland when you were not brought up and do not live there to be condescending, or an insult - I would see it as a matter of fact. But self-identification is a complex and personal thing so perhaps I should be less dismissive.

Maybe we should ask Garth Ennis for his view on these issues
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 10-18-2016 at 03:58 PM.

I'm American and of both Scottish and Irish decent, and I'm not offended or upset when my relatives from those places perceive or refer to me as an American. All of my ancestry is from Scotland and Ireland (along with a lot of living relatives), and I have a very Irish-sounding last name, but I don't consider myself to be Scottish or Irish, or even an Sottish-American or Irish-American, I'm just an American. As long as they treat me nicely, I don't care how they perceive me.

My wife has a very distinctive and hard-to-place accent, and she gets asked all the time from random people where she is from and depending on her hair color and clothing at the time, the guesses range from Ireland, Scotland, or England. She was born in America, so she replies "America". When they try to get specific and they ask her where her accent is from, she can't really answer, as it could be any of them. She knows she is from Scottish, Irish and British decent, but she doesn't identify as any of them.

You'd think based on having the same blood and ancestry, they'd be treated the same, but why are they treated as different, even if they look the same?
    I think it's a case of "It's what's on the inside that counts, not the outside". And by inside I don't mean bloodline or DNA, I mean the way you are because of the place and way you were raised and of the distinctive culture you grew up in. I could go to Scotland or Ireland right now and be perceived pretty easily as a native if I just stood there. But the second I open my mouth and start talking, the things I say, the way I say it and how I say it, they are automatically going to perceive me as an American, and I am perfectly fine with that. As long as they don't treat me badly because I'm an American, I don't care if they treat me differently.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Maybe they are not treated as well in Korea because they can't speak Korean and only speak English with an American accent?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Depends on what you consider "westernized." I'm not sure what a hugely "Western" technology would be. Or, an "Eastern," for that matter. But, applications of tech become cultural very quickly and sometimes decisively.

But, yes, a Korean-American is, generally, American to Koreans, and Chinese American or ABC (not the same thing, but related) aren't necessarily Chinese, the way that a Cherokee born and raised in France as a French citizen is essentially French and not American or "Western Hemisphere."

Countries are countries. They have citizens. Cultures have people who live and participate in them, shaped by them. Lineage, alone, doesn't really carry much of that.
    Well that makes sense. But wait how are Chinese-American and ABC not related?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Did they perceive you as being more American or more Irish?
    It never really came up. We were treated great and they were very nice people. Couldn't ask for nicer people.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Amazing Member

Well the Native Americans have been treated appallingly in their ancestral homelands. To be fair, their ancestral lands were stolen off of them plus an awful lot of them were killed - some call it a genocide - and to this day they are treated as 2nd class citizens - Washington Redskins.