All-New Member

Default What are some good comics involving Firestorm, prior to the new 52?

I'm not too interested in the current DC universe at all. I don't care which version of Firestorm it is because I'm interested in Firestorm because of his powerset.

Not read it yet, but would be very, very surprised if John Ostrander run wasn't at very least good...John O is one of the great DC writers.

Put it this way...run is presently being put on comixology...and as soon as it's available I'll buy it all immediately, without bothering to sample a few issues first.

All-New Member

Any more suggestions?

I would try the second Gerry Conway series, the one that came after Firestorm had been inducted into the Justice League by Superman.

Also, the story that ran in the back-up pages of The Flash.

I dont know if its on the same level as the classic runs these guys are mentioning, but I quite enjoyed Firestorm during One Year Later (post-Infinite Crisis, circa 2007 or so).

At that point, Jason and Martin Stein are bonded as Firestorm, the property looks a lot more "classic" than it had previously, Jamal Ingle was rocking the art, and it felt like the franchise was in full swing and building something concrete.

To be honest though, this really started halfway into Infinite Crisis, when Martin found Jason dying in space and they finally merged together. There were a couple issues that quite literally re-built the character that I thought were lots of fun at the time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont know if its on the same level as the classic runs these guys are mentioning, but I quite enjoyed Firestorm during One Year Later (post-Infinite Crisis, circa 2007 or so).

At that point, Jason and Martin Stein are bonded as Firestorm, the property looks a lot more "classic" than it had previously, Jamal Ingle was rocking the art, and it felt like the franchise was in full swing and building something concrete.

To be honest though, this really started halfway into Infinite Crisis, when Martin found Jason dying in space and they finally merged together. There were a couple issues that quite literally re-built the character that I thought were lots of fun at the time.
    What issues were these events in, please?

Issue 22 I think? Its right around there.

That's the point where Martin finds Jason in space. The One Year Later story starts a issue or two after that. But I really think you gotta start with the Infinite Crisis tie-ins.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I personally enjoyed the pre-Crisis stuff, hokey as some of it was (but it wasn't Silver Age Dc-level hokey). Some of the villains were puzzling for such a character--the Hyena??!?--and at a certain point Ostrander came on board and tried to 'Alan Moore/Swamp Thing' the series (which I still read and loved, for the mystery of Martin Stein and the new Firestorm), but overall I love the character, concept and all.

The more recent series with Jason Rusch was cool, but I loved it moreso for Gehenna, one of my favorite supporting characters ever.

Hey, DC, bring Gehenna back after Rebirth is settled, okay?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

His ongoing by Gerry Conway and Ostrander is an underrated gem.

And The Hyena is actually more than one character, all of them are personally related to Firestorm. They explained it pretty well why they turned into Hyenas, it wasn't just some random crap they threw together.

Martin Stein is the real character who carried the entire series, he is by far way more interesting than Raymond or Rusch.

I enjoyed his addition to the old pre Crisis Justice League. I think a running gag was him being attracted to Power Girl in those earth One and earth Two crossovers.
    That character is still being woefully underutilized in that "Legends" CW show.....

Almost all of the Gerry Conway/Pat Broderick/Rafael Kayanan run, Fury Of Firestorm, is excellent...

firestormv2_01cover.jpg

All of Firestorm's classic villains--Killer Frost, Multiplex, Typhoon, Plastique, The Hyena, Tokamak, Black Bison--appear or debut during this run. It's also where his main love interest and superheroic partner, Firehawk, also first appeared.

Just fun, classic superhero comics with cool old school art and great characters.

They've started collecting the Conway Firestorm run, haven't they? At least I recall reading about some trades of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They've started collecting the Conway Firestorm run, haven't they? At least I recall reading about some trades of it...
    The only one I know of is the collection featuring 70s Conway Firestorm with art by Al Milgrom on the first ongoing book (only lasted 6 issues) and the also-beloved George Perez back-up stories from The Flash...

https://www.amazon.com/Firestorm-Nuc.../dp/1401231837

Here's a pic of the cover...

61-TBYJaMuL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't know of any 80s Firestorm TPBs that are currently in print, though.

I liked Milgrom's art more when I was a kid, though now as an adult I can still see his strength as a storyteller and also a costume designer. But of course, Perez's artwork was much flashier. With both artists, the one constant is Conway's writing which is always a treat!

Spectacular Member

Honestly, Jason's entire run was enjoyable. It did suffer from to many events interjecting into its storyline however for it to get its grounding and then John's ended it prematurely in Brightest Day/Blackest Night. And even that, the New 52 ruined that...

Spectacular Member

Get the first couple years of Fury of Firestorm. These were very good stories and they are probably cheaper than a new comic.