Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Isn't the Purple Man too 'evil' for Marvel to use?

I was reading an Alias trade paperback recently and I forgot where he made Jessica watch him sexually assault some women. And then I recalled how he had a bunch of purple children from all the women he raped. It was from a Daredevil comic which I believe Mark Waid wrote.

Isn't this sort of villain too 'immoral' for Marvel to use? I know he kills people with his mind control but he's basically a serial rapist as well. If I'm not mistaken I think he's the only recurring villain rapist in Marvel. Shouldn't this type of character be banned from comics? Or at least have his past history of forcing women to have sex with him retconned? Personally I think that type of criminal behaviour does not belong in comic books.

Just recently Chelsea Cain retconned Phantom Rider's sexual assault on Mockingbird. Maybe it's time for Marvel to stop using the Purple Man.

Given how we also have genocidal murders like Thanos and Red Skull, I do not think the Purple Man is some sort of exceptional evil. Yes, what he dose is evil and horrific, but his the villain. His acts are meant to sicken us. Its the villains and their evil that truly show how noble and good the superheros are. Also, I have yet to read it but isn't Alias aimed at a more mature audience anyway?

??? There are other instances of rape and sexual assault in comics outside of Purple man. Marvel has other villains as does DC (Doctor Light, Joker etc.).

I think that is solely up to the company and the writer/editor. Some books are for mature readers some books are for kids. If I don't like something a character or subject matter I don't support the comic with my money.

I find it a little unusual that fictional mass murder and mutilation is acceptable by some but sexual assault or rape aren't. I think it's up to the creator's and just knowing who their audience is for a specific title or book. Comics are a very niche industry which has a larger adult readership than adolescent one.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Given how we also have genocidal murders like Thanos and Red Skull, I do not think the Purple Man is some sort of exceptional evil. Yes, what he dose is evil and horrific, but his the villain. His acts are meant to sicken us. Its the villains and their evil that truly show how noble and good the superheros are. Also, I have yet to read it but isn't Alias aimed at a more mature audience anyway?
    yes Alias is from the Marvel Max line/imprint for more mature readers. It was an edgier R rated line. If anyone read Punisher Max you understand
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

I think the fact Kilgrave is considered one of the best MCU villains, means don't think he is going anywhere.

Incredible Member

If people in the world really did have superpowers we would see destruction and violence as much as we would see the benevolent heroes. And yes, sexual violence would happen. Pretending like something doesn't exist is not a good message. Colossus and Hal Jordan both had loves that were 13 and 14, Mia Dearden has aids, previous Dr. Fate Linda Strauss and her stepson were in love.

Real world stuff should happen in comics. I do not support the retcon by Chelsea Cain but I know she had good intentions.

Astonishing Member

I guess I meant to say sexual violence isn't something I want to see in Marvel or DC comics. And I think it's wrong for Marvel to let a character like the Purple Man commit those types of crimes on a repeated basis.

Although Alias was a Marvel Max title, the issue where he had purple children was not. I think he's the sole Marvel villain rapist.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I guess I meant to say sexual violence isn't something I want to see in Marvel or DC comics. And I think it's wrong for Marvel to let a character like the Purple Man commit those types of crimes on a repeated basis.

Although Alias was a Marvel Max title, the issue where he had purple children was not. I think he's the sole Marvel villain rapist.
    There are other rapists in the Marvel Universe. Just like in our universe.

If you don't want to read stories that have rape in them, it's not as if Marvel publishes dozens a year. You can easily avoid those stories.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

And Red Skull who is a genocidal nazi is not worse ? Or Mister Sinister who experiment on children and adults in gruesome ways ? Or Thanos who has kill half of the universe ? Killgrave is a great villain (yes, extremly evil) and stopping to use him because a minority think that villains who do genocide and human experiments are ok, but a sexual offender is not, is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    If people in the world really did have superpowers we would see destruction and violence as much as we would see the benevolent heroes.
    If superpowers actually existed, one would see more. All one has to do is go into any random thread on the internet asking what one would do if one had superpowers and read the replies, and that should be enough to make one thankful that they lie in the domain of fiction.

A lot of people believe might makes right if you're the one with the might, so if people had superpowers that enabled them to do whatever they wanted without having to worry about anyone able to stop them, you'd see more destruction and violence than you would acts of benevolence. Give people power, and you'll see how ugly they really are.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    There are other rapists in the Marvel Universe. Just like in our universe.

If you don't want to read stories that have rape in them, it's not as if Marvel publishes dozens a year. You can easily avoid those stories.
    Cyclops has been physically raped at least twice by Emma and Maddie, and mind-raped by Jean.

depends who's writing him..in emperor doom he was kind of a pawn for doom
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    depends who's writing him
    Well, that much is true of any fictional character ever created who has been written by multiple writers. How they are at any given time depends on who's writing them.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post

I completely understand your desire to not read about such topics in what I assume is meant as a relaxing hobby for you. However, I dont agree with your view that its wrong for marvel to have a character like that in the books. The best thing to do is like other posters adviced: Dont read books with the character in it. As shown here plenty of posters are fine with the character appearing, myself included, and dont see a reason for the character to not be allowed to appear at all.

I don't think he's a very good villain.
    In the TV series, he was great because of the writing and the actor.
    In comics, he has never been more than a boring scumbag.

Also, there is a problem with his powers (well, other than earplugs being his weakness): people who are stongwilled enough can resist. DOOM of course resisted, Fisk resisted, Daredevil too. That creates a hierarchy worse than the worthy/unworthy thing. Your favorite character got controlled by Kilgrave? Well that means they are weaker than Fisk or Murdock.