Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post
    And air power. And vehicular support. And firepower. And freaking telepathy.
    Didn't seem to stop the US Marines/Army from kicking their asses in the end.

Air power? The Expendables have the goddamned Grumman HU-16 Albatross and a few other planes. And as of the third film, they were outrunning machine gun fire from helicopters.

Vehicular support? I point to you the opening scene of Expendables 2:

Firepower? HA! You know the Expendables have tanks and Chuck Norris singlehandedly busted a tank with a memetic-style gesture. And plus if the aliens were to face Terry Crews, they'd all get an AA-12 blast to their faces.

Telepathy? Uhh... how does their telepathy work?

@Captain Smith: No. The Expendables aren't so dumb as to be a bunch of elementary-school kids running around allowing their enemies to get the hit them in an open field. In a straight-up fight, the Expendables demolish the Aliens head-on and just smoke their cigars and call it another day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Did you watch the movie - there were quite a few aliens. The Marines pulled off a local feat and then got evac'ed. Later, a reconstituted force they joined returned to the attack. The Expendables by themselves are outnumbered. Duh!
    Did you? The marines were facing the aliens a squad or two at a time. Other than maybe the end battle, the aliens weren't using large formations in any single area, so its not likely the Expendables will get swamped in some hundred to one battle before they know the aliens enough to be able figure out how to kind of deal with that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Did you? The marines were facing the aliens a squad or two at a time. Other than maybe the end battle, the aliens weren't using large formations in any single area, so its not likely the Expendables will get swamped in some hundred to one battle before they know the aliens enough to be able figure out how to kind of deal with that.
    And here I thought you were on the side of the Expendables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    And here I thought you were on the side of the Expendables.
    I am. How did you interpret that post as against them?

BANNED

I am. How did you interpret that post as against them?
    Shit ooopps.... you said "not likely to get swamped". Sorry my mistake. Gomenasai, Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post
    And air power.
    Yeah, I'll with you here.

And vehicular support.
    We only saw one hover car from the aliens. We saw the Expendables use two armored cars in the second movie. Of course, the aliens also had those walking rocket launchers, but they were fairly slow and the Expendables have the firepower to take them down.

And firepower.
    Not on the infantry level. The aliens guns were probably more powerful than conventional assault rifles, but not up there with some of the big guns the Expendables were toting around. The walking rocket launchers help, but they lack mobility, and again the Expendables have some heavy weapons that can take them down.

And freaking telepathy.
    There was no confimed use of telepathy in Battle Los Angeles.

Mighty Member

There was no confimed use of telepathy in Battle Los Angeles.
    Official site confirmed the capacity for telepathic communication and was heavily implied anyway when the marines got suddenly swarmed in their hiding position during the scene in which they were trying to learn how to kill the aliens by torturing one to death.

BANNED

Yeah, I'll with you here.
    I might concede that the aliens do seem to have bigger ships, but the Expendables aren't to be sold too short when it comes to their attack planes as well.

We only saw one hover car from the aliens. We saw the Expendables use two armored cars in the second movie. Of course, the aliens also had those walking rocket launchers, but they were fairly slow and the Expendables have the firepower to take them down.

Not on the infantry level. The aliens guns were probably more powerful than conventional assault rifles, but not up there with some of the big guns the Expendables were toting around. The walking rocket launchers help, but they lack mobility, and again the Expendables have some heavy weapons that can take them down.
    Yeah the rocket launcher is about the only thing that COULD pose a threat to the Expendables, but it takes time to charge up, and if the Expendables secure their distance and keep a sharp eye on the thing, most of them should be fine.

The aliens beat the US army for a few days taking at least all of LA, you really think twenty men can hold off an entire army? Theyll do damage but eventually theyll overun the Expendables

Astonishing Member

They also attacked all along the West Coast, if IIRC. A HU-16 - that's a heck of a fighter plane. Haha.

Now it is fun to be sarcastic but it's clear they all get expended.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Glad you guys aren't our strategists as you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Seems a bit disingenuous to bring up. Every action movie and trope that the Expendables movies purposely draw from involve the hero or heroes being badly outnumbered but doing nothing but a full-on assault and coming out victorious. That's movie magic, but that's also part in play here (same reason why human comic heroes are capable of clearly superhuman feats in movies). Part of the thread is to see if it's enough to defeat the aliens, to which I'll leave to the rest of you to discuss.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Seems a bit disingenuous to bring up. Every action movie and trope that the Expendables movies purposely draw from involve the hero or heroes being badly outnumbered but doing nothing but a full-on assault and coming out victorious. That's movie magic, but that's also part in play here (same reason why human comic heroes are capable of clearly superhuman feats in movies). Part of the thread is to see if it's enough to defeat the aliens, to which I'll leave to the rest of you to discuss.
    I agree with this post here.

But since you said that this was running on 80's action movie magic, then the Expendables stomp the Aliens in the most hilarious and humiliating fashion possible and look like drunken badasses while doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    The aliens beat the US army for a few days taking at least all of LA, you really think twenty men can hold off an entire army? Theyll do damage but eventually theyll overun the Expendables
    Keep in mind that they aren't going to have to fight the whole alien force in LA all at once. Also, they are just replacing that one squad, so while they wont be getting reinforced, its not like the Expendables are the only ones the aliens have to deal with(the immobilized tank is still there, the jets are still there for as long as they were in the movie, etc.).

Keep in mind that they aren't going to have to fight the whole alien force in LA all at once. Also, they are just replacing that one squad, so while they wont be getting reinforced, its not like the Expendables are the only ones the aliens have to deal with(the immobilized tank is still there, the jets are still there for as long as they were in the movie, etc.).
    Ah, then they can easily replicate the win here that the marines had. I thought it was just them vs all the aliens alone, in which case they go down hard, but they can fill in for a squad of marines

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Ah, then they can easily replicate the win here that the marines had. I thought it was just them vs all the aliens alone, in which case they go down hard, but they can fill in for a squad of marines
    Yup, if the Aliens really need massive amounts of numbers to win against the Expendables, then it really shows just how nasty and tough the Expendables truly are and how much of a nightmare they pose for the aliens in every other aspect.