Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Visitor

I thought this was a huge improvement over the 1st issue. I'm much more on board now.

I thought the 2nd issue was quite good, an improvement from issue #1 and I'm looking forward to more.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I thought issue two is an excellent example of how to tell a complete story in a single issue that nonetheless has its place in a series. And, given the times, an evocative one. My favorite two pages this issue are those where Michael Mathers in his alien form speaks ‘alien gibberish’ to the woman in the doorway, who, next page, kisses the alien, and they converse in English: they tell their own complete story, and look good doing it. And of course, I'm a Paul Grist fan from waaaay back with Kane. (Which I wish you'd all go look for and read as it's a really excellent police procedural semi-satire.)
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

All-New Member

I've been really enjoying this since they replaced the recap with new stuff. This was a really solid issue I think. I like seeing Visitor hunt Ohgdru hem casually and I really appreciated the pieces oh him in the past. Great artwork as well. It feels like it finally became what I thought it would be. Interesting little vignettes of his missions on Earth.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legendx66 View Post
    I've been really enjoying this since they replaced the recap with new stuff. This was a really solid issue I think. I like seeing Visitor hunt Ohgdru hem casually and I really appreciated the pieces oh him in the past. Great artwork as well. It feels like it finally became what I thought it would be. Interesting little vignettes of his missions on Earth.
    Sounds like more of what I didn't enjoy, I may pick it up when it's collected but the disjointed nature and lack of real characterization drove me away.

All-New Member

I'd disagree on the characterization. It's far from the best in the universe but its also three issues. The Visitor doesn't feel like anyone else and there is a lot of subtle character in how he deals with events in a unique way. I am enjoying it. I don't think it is any more disjointed than most Hellboy stories are.

I am finding this whole thing rather boring. Issue three was a bit better, but still "meh". Slow moving and uninspired art. I really didn't care about this cult story.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Interview with Chris Roberson and a preview of issue #4. The interview doesn't have any spoilers for #4, but I'd skip the preview only because it's one you'll want to enjoy in one sitting. For those of you that don't mind spoilers though, go ahead and check it out.

Having just read issue 3 and 4, I like the story being told more now, although I am not really a fan of the art; however, perhaps the art will make this a more visually distinct parallel narrative to the main HB stories (at least to my mind's eye).

A beautiful fourth issue on the human side of the story, really. I liked the alien flashback too of course, but I really need some more to be truly satisfied : should I hope more in the last issue? This week the art worked very well for me. It wasn't that much the case in everypages of the previous issues.
    Last edited by Abe; 06-03-2017 at 03:18 AM.

All-New Member

After reading the first three issues, I was completely taken by surprise by the 4th. What a great issue tackling really important topics. It was really emotional. It's not typically what I expect from something in the Hellboy universe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I liked this issue because it was about the Visitor and his life. This was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    uninspired art.
    Look, I get that you don't care for the style. You've made that abundantly clear. But **** like that dismisses the effort put in by Grist, and since you're not sitting at the drawing table with him, it's really not fair for you to say it, or he are uninspired.

I don't normally share my reviews on here, but I really liked this this issue.

For me being an avid reader eversince Hellboy's beginnings at least, I've taken caution towards tuning any of my expectations towards certain books.

Like each of the Hellboy crossovers would take kind of their own particular perspective pretty much.
    Each of the Hellboy Junior installments were a ride. Or Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead. The Hellboy Weird Tales.
    The Odd Jobs. The B.P.R.D. and more titles granting room to explore. As with perspectives picking up or slowing down, with particular moods or voicings, shiftings or expandings overtime.

It never cluttered or diffused but like 10-12 years ago to me shifts seemed easier to oversee more rather than any the harder: there'd be flashbacks or current stuff, like on and off, among either core or any the more funky bits depending.
    To a steady annual schedule pretty much.

And for me books like The Visitor seem to demand some caution or care of my own as far as having my expectations or approach prove accordingly towards them as a reader.

It's not that this story was mostly written way back already, it's not that it was made for becoming published long ago, since it was made and readied for publication now more rather. Not as catering to only avid readers, but any of them. Since every Hell-verse book would or could prove its own mystery.
    No advance guarantees, or only that hopefully all types of readers could do with any of them, to preference. I'd think.
    And what comics or books or movies could pull off perfect linearity besides full hindsight reprints really? None. Like a box of chocolates (tm).

It's okay if something wouldn't take someone's fancy, immediately or otherwise, isn't it?
    It'd be allowed to be holding off on something, wouldn't it?
    To say I wouldn't ever wanna read something with forcing myself to be. Especially anything I'd be hoping to come to enjoy.

On this very book I've held off some for a bit, also since I been busy. But I'm getting it. For reading it in one eager sitting. Or more. Hopefully with possible revisitations even. Since with a book or stuff to like any such could all prove possible. Like such shouldn't even take work.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 06-01-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I Really enjoyed the last issue. I didn't like repeated 'He's not ready yet' stuffs, but whole the Alien and Ruby relationship was so good to read about.