Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman January solicits!

WONDER WOMAN #14
    Written by GREG RUCKA
    Art and cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    Variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “YEAR ONE” conclusion! With Steve Trevor by her side, Diana faces the God of War and embraces her destiny as Wonder Woman!
    On sale JANUARY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

WONDER WOMAN #15
    Written by GREG RUCKA
    Art and cover by LIAM SHARP
    Variant cover by JENNY FRISON •
    Retailers: This issues will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “THE TRUTH” part one! Diana has finally seen the full scope of how her life and history have been transformed…unfortunately, the knowledge has driven her completely insane!
    On sale JANUARY 25 • Each 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRINITY #5
    Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL
    Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
    Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “BETTER TOGETHER” part five! Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman must battle for their lives against their greatest foes in an arena of their own making! And the fight won’t be done until they confront each other in this deadly match. The mastermind behind this attack has revealed himself at last: Mongul is back!
    On sale JANUARY 18 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah...I hope "The Truth" warrants this, because "The Lies", nothing we've been shown in her Year One so far is bad enough to drive her insane....Other than she's bi, and trust me, that even drives me crazy, so she has my sympathy. lol.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

yeah...our strong symbol of female empowerment is going to go coo coo for coco puffs just like that

DC ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC NOVELS 2017
    Cover by TONY S. DANIEL and SANDU FLOREA
    Now anyone can experience DC from the best starting points possible with 25 graphic novels vital to anyone’s collection. From there, move on to your favorite characters: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League and more, with listings of the most important books to understanding those particular characters. The DC ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC NOVELS 2017 catalog makes it easy to find the perfect story for everyone!
    On sale JANUARY 11 • 96 pg, FC, FREE

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    yeah...our strong symbol of female empowerment is going to go coo coo for coco puffs just like that
    1.) It will obviously be merely temporary. Like "resolved by the end of the issue" temporary. Maybe the end of a single arc, worst case.

2.) There's nothing unempowering about showing that Diana's mind can be strained just like anyone else's. Especially not if she bounces back from it quickly.

3.) She may find out she's not even insane at all. Someone or something just has her convinced that she is.

4.) We have no idea yet of the stresses to which her mind may be exposed. It may very well go beyond mere "Oh my gosh! I can't handle knowing the truth about my life!"

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    DC ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC NOVELS 2017
    Cover by TONY S. DANIEL and SANDU FLOREA
    Now anyone can experience DC from the best starting points possible with 25 graphic novels vital to anyone’s collection. From there, move on to your favorite characters: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League and more, with listings of the most important books to understanding those particular characters. The DC ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC NOVELS 2017 catalog makes it easy to find the perfect story for everyone!
    On sale JANUARY 11 • 96 pg, FC, FREE
    That cover is just pure gold!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Bummer that they decided to go the "Crazy" route. It's going to be tough to compete with the current volume of Moon Knight on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    1.) It will obviously be merely temporary. Like "resolved by the end of the issue" temporary. Maybe the end of a single arc, worst case.

2.) There's nothing unempowering about showing that Diana's mind can be strained just like anyone else's. Especially not if she bounces back from it quickly.

3.) She may find out she's not even insane at all. Someone or something just has her convinced that she is.

4.) We have no idea yet of the stresses to which her mind may be exposed. It may very well go beyond mere "Oh my gosh! I can't handle knowing the truth about my life!"
    Hopefully not. It wouldn't be much of a foundation if it played out that way.

Diana being driven insane, even very temporarily, due to the recognizing the reality of all the changes to her history to me suggests that the majority of her New 52 stuff is going to be erased. I still believe DC when they say they want to essentially merge the post-Crisis in with the New 52, and I do think by and large that idea will be the foundation of the post-Rebirth Earth, but I don't believe that's going to extend to Wonder Woman and Superman. These two characters are going to be the exceptions to the rule. Their New 52 stuff I see being retconned out almost completely wholesale.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Eh, I'm sure she'll be fine. Especially with Rucka writing it. I can't imagine our strong female protagonist is going to be tarnished at all. I can imagine that some might be "triggered" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Diana being driven insane, even very temporarily, due to the recognizing the reality of all the changes to her history to me suggests that the majority of her New 52 stuff is going to be erased. I still believe DC when they say they want to essentially merge the post-Crisis in with the New 52, and I do think by and large that idea will be the foundation of the post-Rebirth Earth, but I don't believe that's going to extend to Wonder Woman and Superman. These two characters are going to be the exceptions to the rule. Their New 52 stuff I see being retconned out almost completely wholesale.
    I'm not so sure, especially as I can't really imagine them getting rid of the Zeus origin because it is apparently showing up in the movies. We're also getting another basic New 52 concept (Diana/Barbara friendship turned enemies), just reworked. The little details might change, but beyond that, I don't think we're losing much of anything. Especially when we factor in the Finch run and some of the JL stuff.

Morrison's Action run being gone would be a shame. I think Superman has way more to lose here by losing the New 52.

If this is the plot device to try to pass a reboot . Eye roll and lol. Seriously all you had to do was reboot the character. Just like they killed off the new 52 characters...come on...say Daughter of Zeus died etc. Sending her insane is just dumb. A serious case of jumping the shark and imo an insult to the writers who actually did work and told stories that you're putting down to madness? Is he that bitter, he can't accept that people actually liked the new 52, that it is in fact part of her evolution and history and it did have very good aspects to the story telling just like his run had? How would he feel if people came and told him his Diana was a mad hatter when she snapped Max Lord's neck and in fact none of that happened?

You can't please every fan but at the very least respect that every story had aspects to them that appealed to various people. To come chuck this down to madness is just lazy.

A whole 7 issues of Wonder Woman really doing nothing new. Because in terms of what he wants to say...Perez did it already and did it better. Well going mad is new, I guess. Works for Harley. Didn't work so well for Hal.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-17-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    If this is the plot device to try to pass a reboot . Eye roll and lol. Seriously all you had to do was reboot the character. Just like they killed off the new 52 characters...come on...say Daughter of Zeus died etc. Sending her insane is just dumb. A serious case of jumping the shark and imo an insult to the writers who actually did work and told stories that you're putting down to madness? Is he that bitter, he can't accept that people actually liked the new 52, that it is in fact part of her evolution and history and it did have very good aspects to the story telling just like his run had? How would he feel if people came and told him his Diana was a mad hatter when she snapped Max Lord's neck and in fact none of that happened?
    SOME people liked New 52 Diana. A great many others did not. And if turning Diana's entire origin into a horror story of lies, bullying, and rape/murder raids is "part of her evolution and history" then I'm glad if Rucka attributes all of that to temporary insanity.

And Rucka may very well be okay with retconning away the death of Max Lord. It was a story that he thought made sense at the time. There's no reason to believe that he considers it a defining moment of Diana's character for all time. Unlike Azz, who did, in fact, try to turn Diana's origin into a permanent mockery of what Diana is supposed to be.

You can't please every fan but at the very least respect that every story had aspects to them that appealed to various people. To come chuck this down to madness is just lazy.
    1.) You still have no proof that that's even what he's doing.

2.) Azz reduced the origin story that many WW fans liked to nothing but a lie told by a conniving and deeply selfish woman just trying to protect herself from retaliation from a woman who she betrayed. How is that any better than this even if it IS what Rucka's doing?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Looking forward to seeing how Wonder Woman's final showdown against Ares concludes and how Steve factors into things. I wonder if it would be too much to expect a kiss between Diana and Steve to close out Year One ?

I really have to wonder just what the revelations entail, or their extent, to cause Diana to go temporarily insane.

That Essential Graphic Novels cover .

Diana in a mental hospital? Me thinks this is where Dr. Psycho's involvement comes into play...!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    SOME people liked New 52 Diana. A great many others did not. And if turning Diana's entire origin into a horror story of lies, bullying, and rape/murder raids is "part of her evolution and history" then I'm glad if Rucka attributes all of that to temporary insanity.

And Rucka may very well be okay with retconning away the death of Max Lord. It was a story that he thought made sense at the time. There's no reason to believe that he considers it a defining moment of Diana's character for all time. Unlike Azz, who did, in fact, try to turn Diana's origin into a permanent mockery of what Diana is supposed to be.

1.) You still have no proof that that's even what he's doing.

2.) Azz reduced the origin story that many WW fans liked to nothing but a lie told by a conniving and deeply selfish woman just trying to protect herself from retaliation from a woman who she betrayed. How is that any better than this even if it IS what Rucka's doing?

I find being completely "insane" is a plot device. Azzarello worked with a new reboot. He was not erasing anything. His was a different character to the ones fans were moaning about. Just the same way you defend say MOS saying its a different set up, so was new 52 WW.If people did not like her...fine. They all did not have to. People can have their fave version of a character.

And Rucka has wiped out gradually many things of new 52 Diana...so saying how do I know what he is doing? Come on. Really?

And I wonder what is this insanity?

Is it an acute psychotic episode? PTSD? Onset of a Schizoid disorder? Affective disorder? Fixed Delusion? Depression with psychotic features? Or is she just an emotionally unstable woman?

I hope Rucka will indeed tell you in a way that makes sense. But I rather expect it'll just be to make sense in that he gets what he wants since he is in full control and all that.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-17-2016 at 06:26 PM.