Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    OK, had a couple of questions concerning some specifics about Dani's EP/TP illusion abilities, that I don't recall for sure & couldn't readily find the answers to (with just a lil', quick research). Can she insert herself - like her psyche & psionic form - into the illusions of her targets, in order to engage them there in various ways? I mean, when it comes to her "dreamscapes", would she be considered "master of the domain" and have the ability to control & manipulate how they play out (if she wanted to)?
    I'd say yes, if you take all her powers together. In New Mutants #43, she called up Empath's desire and it was controlling Dani (which seems odd if Dani didn't do it on purpose), then she manipulated it into her turning into a tentacled monster, still clearly Dani, that was obsessed with Empath - his greatest fear. In #23 (I think) she deliberately used illusions to make herself and Sam look like ideal guests at a swanky hotel. They still looked like themselves, just older and classier. Later that same issue she replayed the desk clerk's memories of Rahne.

And can she engage multiple opponents at the same time, and if so, what are the limits/how far was it ever pushed?
    In #49 she targeted two guards at once. In issue #2 or #3, the brood controlled Prof X used her powers to transform the school grounds into a brood landscape that all the New Mutants thought was real, and seemed to be solid.

I never saw the cartoon, and I can't watch the clip right now, so I'll get back to you on that later.
    Last edited by Arachne; 08-24-2017 at 06:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    ... she manipulated it into her turning into a tentacled monster, still clearly Dani... she deliberately used illusions to make herself and Sam look like ideal guests at a swanky hotel. They still looked like themselves, just older and classier. Later that same issue she replayed the desk clerk's memories of Rahne.

... In #49 she targeted two guards at once. ... used her powers to transform the school grounds into a brood landscape that all the New Mutants thought was real, and seemed to be solid.

I never saw the cartoon, and I can't watch the clip right now, so I'll get back to you on that later.
    YES, this was X-actly what I was thinking of, cool! Love the using of it for simpler, more practical things too, like altering appearances. And the VR-like replay of memories, for all to see, is just too awesome of an application & a GREAT addition to her arsenal of abilities.

So more like a mass, "group" illusion I guess, as opposed to each target involved in their own, individual one, hmmm... even better, I think.

And OK, lookin' forward to hearin' what fans who know Dani better than I do think. As Moonstar X-perts, I'll call ya, your opinions matter most.

Oh, and thought of an additional and/or alt to her psionic arrows, that I think would fit quite nicely into & pay tribute to her actual character history as well. Just not sure if it might be perceived as stereotypical too, in a way but to a lesser degree, by some. I'll throw it out there anyway, tho, when I come back with my ideas for her powers in live action & elsewhere.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-24-2017 at 06:24 PM.

YES, this was X-actly what I was thinking of, cool! Love the using of it for simpler, more practical things too, like altering appearances. And the VR-like replay of memories, for all to see, is just too awesome of an application & a GREAT addition to her arsenal of abilities.

So more like a mass, "group" illusion I guess, as opposed to each target involved in their own, individual one, hmmm... even better, I think.
    Actually when Dani created a mass illusion it looks different to the people viewing it, their was an issue where she projected an illusion of Professor X and each of the people viewing it saw him differently based on their own perception of him.

I forgot one, after Claremont came back to the X-men, he wrote a scene where Dani combined her mutant and Valkyrie powers to replay the Marauder's murders. Kind of cool, but I thought that would make things a little too easy.

New Mutants Giant Sized Special #1: Dani shocks an army of Asgardian warriors with an image of Hela. It didn't scare them for long, but they all saw it.

And OK, lookin' forward to hearin' what fans who know Dani better than I do think. As Moonstar X-perts, I'll call ya, your opinions matter most.

Oh, and thought of an additional and/or alt to her psionic arrows, that I think would fit quite nicely into & pay tribute to her actual character history as well. Just not sure if it might be perceived as stereotypical too, in a way but to a lesser degree, by some. I'll throw it out there anyway, tho, when I come back with my ideas for her powers in live action & elsewhere.
    I'm sure it's no more stereotypical than some of the things in the actual comics.

That episode was a lot better than I thought it would be. I don't think we ever saw Dani use her powers over that kind of range before (although, there was one weird scene in space), and she's never shown hibernation powers before, but it was pretty cool. I wonder if that Dani had her animal empathy powers? Pity she was only in the one ep. Kinda funny Dani and Kitty hitting it off so well, they didn't in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Actually when Dani created a mass illusion it looks different to the people viewing it, their was an issue where she projected an illusion of Professor X and each of the people viewing it saw him differently based on their own perception of him.
    Oh, cool! I don't think I have that issue.

Oh, cool! I don't think I have that issue.
    Can't remember the exact issue, but I think it was when the New Mutants were trying to save Kitty and Doug from Emma.

I'll have to reread those. Darn.

Mighty Member

One reason why I think Dani and Karma had a hard time in a post new mutants error was their powers.. they were too telepathic light and I think when forming teams it just didnt make sense for many configurations. its too bad both did not get another ability or two that made them more viable. It seemed for the women they needed abilities that had broader implications versus limited use.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    One reason why I think Dani and Karma had a hard time in a post new mutants error was their powers.. they were too telepathic light and I think when forming teams it just didnt make sense for many configurations. its too bad both did not get another ability or two that made them more viable. It seemed for the women they needed abilities that had broader implications versus limited use.
    Dani and Karma's powers are perfect for spying and infiltration, besides the writers kept on giving Dani new powers instead of exploring all the possible uses of her original ones.

I disagree. Having the Hulk around doesn't mean that characters with less strength, say Captain America, don't get used. Why should it be different for telepaths? Dani and Xi'an have interesting powers, they just need writers that don't want to take the easy way out. Telepaths who can do every psychic feat are just too powerful to be interesting. (I mean as far as fights go, they can still be very interesting in terms of personality.)

Dani and Karma's powers are perfect for spying and infiltration, besides the writers kept on giving Dani new powers instead of exploring all the possible uses of her original ones.
    So very true. Also, I'm pretty sure Dani's illusions are actual holograms, not hallucinations that only the target can see. (Everyone can see what she does to Empath in issue #43, for example.) That's something other psys shouldn't be able to do.

So very true. Also, I'm pretty sure Dani's illusions are actual holograms, not hallucinations that only the target can see. (Everyone can see what she does to Empath in issue #43, for example.) That's something other psys shouldn't be able to do.
    I always thought her illusions were a combination of holograms psychic projections, which would explain why people saw them differently and why she was able to create solid illusions when her powers were amped up by both the brood queen and the High Evolutionary's device.

There's certainly a psychic factor. If she's not targeting a person, they usually realize it's an illusion, but the one she's targeting isn't aware of that. That's from NM #43, again. I seem to have it on the brain.

Mighty Member

I didnt say they didnt have uses but everything they do a telepath can do and often times better. Unfortunately mutant telepaths made them obsolete. Its like a cd player vs an ipod. Both you can listen to music but with an ipod, you can also search the internet, read a book, etc. So of course you are going to choose the ipod.

Mighty Member

I always thought her illusions were a combination of holograms psychic projections, which would explain why people saw them differently and why she was able to create solid illusions when her powers were amped up by both the brood queen and the High Evolutionary's device.
    Dani powers are purely psionic based.. her abilities are emphatic based illusion projection. Light is not involved at all. The solid illusion was based on psionic energy constructs not light based. She basically interacted with subconscious mind to produce the illusions so she empathy is a part of her mutation.
    Last edited by Paleo_Rage; 08-25-2017 at 08:21 PM.

I didnt say they didnt have uses but everything they do a telepath can do and often times better. Unfortunately mutant telepaths made them obsolete. Its like a cd player vs an ipod. Both you can listen to music but with an ipod, you can also search the internet, read a book, etc. So of course you are going to choose the ipod.
    If it was that simple, Hawkeye would have been in limbo for years. Yes, telepaths can do more, but that actually makes for less interesting stories. Not to mention lazy writing.

Dani powers are purely psionic based.. her abilities are emphatic based illusion to that person. Light is not involved at all. The solid illusion was based on psionic energy constructs not light based. She basically interacted with subconscious mines to produce the illusions so she empathy is a part of her mutation.
    I'm not sure why you say that. There's plenty of evidence of non-targeted people seeing the images, and on at least one occasion they were seen on camera.