Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Well then who do you think should be this 'epic' lover for Dani?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I don't really know. Warren might work, they've got very different backgrounds, but the whole death thing they've both got going could draw them together. He'd probably end up going back to Psylocke, though, and I am not fond of love triangles.

And like I said, or at least tried to say, I'm open to the idea of James, but I don't see a good hook for them, right now.

Angel? A white?

lol, no but seriously, no. Personally I'd love for Dani's story to move away from her Valkyrie stuff. And Warren, too, from his Death-Seed nonsense. But yeah, Betsy and Warren will most likely come back together. Of any of the younger classes, I think Warren would go for Monet(not Husk!? Are you serious?). Dani doesn't need to shack up with a mindless killer drone psychopath, though, realtalk. Even if he didn't have that to contend with, he's even more of a punk than Roberto, I think, in Dani's eyes. She needs a tough(but not psychotic) guy who will get down and dirty on the ranch. Like that strapping young man James!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Angel? A white?
    Ha! But it's not like it would be the first time.

lol, no but seriously, no. Personally I'd love for Dani's story to move away from her Valkyrie stuff. And Warren, too, from his Death-Seed nonsense.
    And why can't they move away together?

But yeah, Betsy and Warren will most likely come back together. Of any of the younger classes, I think Warren would go for Monet(not Husk!? Are you serious?).
    Hooking up with Monet would be too predictable. Agreed on Husk. What were they thinking?

Dani doesn't need to shack up with a mindless killer drone psychopath, though, realtalk. Even if he didn't have that to contend with, he's even more of a punk than Roberto, I think, in Dani's eyes.
    I don't see it that way. Dani wouldn't see Warren as a kid the way she still sees Roberto.

She needs a tough(but not psychotic) guy who will get down and dirty on the ranch. Like that strapping young man James!
    Again, too predictable. To me, a good fictional relationship requires a balance between differences and similarities. Aside from James not being a leader (anymore), there aren't many differences between him and Dani. Before there was a moral conflict, at least, but that's been gone for years.

I think Dani needs a time alone in a strong role before we start thinking of shipping her with any guy, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Ha! But it's not like it would be the first time.

I don't see it that way. Dani wouldn't see Warren as a kid the way she still sees Roberto.

Again, too predictable. To me, a good fictional relationship requires a balance between differences and similarities. Aside from James not being a leader (anymore), there aren't many differences between him and Dani. Before there was a moral conflict, at least, but that's been gone for years.
    1) Who, Sam? Nate? Those weren't exactly well developed relationships.

2) While Warren is a little older than her(and Roberto), he's very similar to Roberto in that they both come from generational wealth. Warren even moreso, given the Worthington's money goes waaaaay back. At least Roberto's father carved out his fortune by hand, from nothing. At the end of the day, I do think Dani would look at Warren like a spoiled rich kid too.

3) Predictable? More like stable. Rogue and Gambit: southerners from the wrong side of the tracks, skeletons in their closets, find comfort in each other. Warren and Betsy: rich socialites who have been twisted, body and soul by villains, find comfort in each other. Scott and Jean: American kids lives are torn apart when their mutant powers unlock during personal tragedies, drafted into a war for survival, they find comfort in each other. All the X-couples that have stood the test of time(or at least had a long run) are built on commonalities, not differences. The whole 'opposites attract' concept is really just a recipe for disaster(see Emma (bad girl) and Scott's (boy scout) trajectory for proof of concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think Dani needs a time alone in a strong role before we start thinking of shipping her with any guy, IMO.
    Overall, I agree with this. I think we're just having fun because there is no actual news for Dani to talk about. But yeah, let's see Dani get her mutant powers back, start leading a team again, and get her feet back under her before any relationships(though I'd be down with James helping her in those pursuits and then they get together eventually).

BANNED

She needs a tough(but not psychotic) guy who will get down and dirty on the ranch. Like that strapping young man James!
    Yes, they would make a great couple provided Moonlock storyline is solved.

Right now, she's trapped inside Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Yes, they would make a great couple provided Moonlock storyline is solved.
    I don't think Marvel is stupid enough too transmode basically an entire generation of their kids. Hopefully this story will be resolved soon, and may even end in Dani getting her powers back. Hell of a cliffhanger, though. So huge I think they'll have to resolve it sooner than later.

I
    To which question? The original about past relationships (in which case I agree), or the secondary question of who she should be with now?
    both. She and James never had a true oppurtunity and deserve it

2) While Warren is a little older than her(and Roberto), he's very similar to Roberto in that they both come from generational wealth. Warren even moreso, given the Worthington's money goes waaaaay back. At least Roberto's father carved out his fortune by hand, from nothing. At the end of the day, I do think Dani would look at Warren like a spoiled rich kid too.

3) Predictable? More like stable. Rogue and Gambit: southerners from the wrong side of the tracks, skeletons in their closets, find comfort in each other. Warren and Betsy: rich socialites who have been twisted, body and soul by villains, find comfort in each other. Scott and Jean: American kids lives are torn apart when their mutant powers unlock during personal tragedies, drafted into a war for survival, they find comfort in each other. All the X-couples that have stood the test of time(or at least had a long run) are built on commonalities, not differences. The whole 'opposites attract' concept is really just a recipe for disaster(see Emma (bad girl) and Scott's (boy scout) trajectory for proof of concept.
    True, even the pairings that use that idea and work come more from the fact that they had similar problems and hangups, but deal it with ot on different ways, wicth bring a decent balance to eacth other.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, like yogaflame said, we're just joking around. This all started because I was bored out of my skull. I actually agree with you.

More developed than her relationship with James.

And I think not having seem him at his most spoiled would mean she had a different impression of him. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

No fictional relationship works without conflict. I happen to think having some opposite traits is one of the most interesting conflicts. As I said before, it's about a balance between similarities and differences.

Let's look a little closer at the couples you mentioned:

When Rogue and Gambit were first hired at we a couple, all they had in common was being southern and having criminal pasts. Rogue was firmly on the side of the angels (did I just unintentionally quote Claremont? sheesh) and no one, including Gambit, one suspects, knew what side he was on. Gambit was pretty bold when it came to relationships and Rogue was timid. Add in the problems with Rogue's powers and you've got conflict galore. They're also the only relationship on the list that really intrigues me.

Warren and Betsy, well, to be honest, I've never known why these two were together. Sure they've each got internal conflict, but they don't seem to have any conflict between them. Story-wise there's not much entertaining about them as a couple. Nice that they have each other to lean on, but that doesn't require a romance. Maybe I'm missing something.

Scott and Jean have as much conflict as you could fit in a story. Unfortunately, it almost all comes from love triangles. Jean/Scott Maddie, Scott/Jean/Logan, Jean/Scott/Emma. Oh, and Lee Forester, and Coleen Wing, am I missing any? Warren, maybe? It works, but I've come to hate love triangles. Someone always gets hurt, usually the fans.

I love Dani. I love James. However, I just don't see a story between them as things currently stand.

Forearm should return

Nice thing about Forearm is that he's pretty much a blank slate. Fans can imagine him any way they like.

BTW, thanks for the debate, guys. I had a rough couple of weeks and this was a nice distraction.

BANNED

... No fictional relationship works without conflict. I happen to think having some opposite traits is one of the most interesting conflicts. As I said before, it's about a balance between similarities and differences. ...
    Agree wholeheartedly, and with most everything thereafter, pretty much. Creators being inspired by somethin' that's considered "stable & comfortable," and consumers feeling compelled to buy into it, just doesn't ring true to me. Unlikely > likely, IMO. And in my eXperience, when it comes to fictional works, across all mediums.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 09-06-2018 at 07:36 AM.