Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    ... I think this is a good bit of insight into Dani post M-Day.

Attachment 70550
    Agreed, I really liked this, and that it showed how much her Mutant powers mattered to her. Thank you.

... I'm bored again so here's a rare scene between Dani and Storm. It's also a side of Dani's personality we don't often see.

Attachment 70722
    She's grown a lot & changed since then, as has Ororo. While there are some similarities & parallels between them, there are differences also. Dani's more emotional & instinctive for instance, I think, not quite as diplomatic.

Dani's what you'd get if Wolverine and Storm had a kid.

It's weird how little interaction Dani's had with the older X-men. Xavier, Cable, a couple of scenes with Wolverine. Other than that, it's just a line here or there.

Mighty Member

Dani's what you'd get if Wolverine and Storm had a kid.

It's weird how little interaction Dani's had with the older X-men. Xavier, Cable, a couple of scenes with Wolverine. Other than that, it's just a line here or there.
    The only thing that comes to mind is her occasional interactions with Cyclops in NMv3.

I just read the Demon Bear Saga for the first time. There's a lot in that story to unpack.

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind is her occasional interactions with Cyclops in NMv3.
    I can only think of one scene where they actually talked. He kind of talked about her being the next X-leader earlier, but not to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I just read the Demon Bear Saga for the first time. There's a lot in that story to unpack.
    Such a great story. Amazing art, too. Let us know what you thought!

Such a great story. Amazing art, too. Let us know what you thought!
    I thought it had great storytelling in terms of pacing, tension, and especially the art. This arc stands out from nearly everything in comics. The depiction of Dani's life hanging in balance was unreal and very epic. I was a bit surprised that Dani was mostly unconscious for two of those issues, though. I knew going in that this story is closely associated with her, so I expected a more active role. That being said, I think there are good reasons for that.

After thinking about it, the story is about intergenerational trauma and colonialism. Dani has physical wounds from her fight, emotional wounds from her parents' violent death, and cultural wounds from settler colonialism. The whole story is really about her friends fighting so that these traumas can heal. Had it not been for the New Mutants, the Demon Bear would have destroyed the hospital and Dani would not have a future. Emotionally, her family is healed when reunited and Dani's link to her cultural knowledge and ancestors is no longer severed. The Demon Bear is a horrifying image of colonialism that has corrupted the land (a symbolic representation of stolen land, resource extraction, pollution, etc). The New Mutants won this fight by destroying the distorted image of an Indigenous symbol (as settlers have distorted the land). This fight addressed a specific symptom of colonialism but not its root. Like Dani's father said, "you've got a long way to go before challenging the evil that spawned [the Demon Bear]." It is significant that Dani's grandfather's traditional wisdom is what protected her for so long. The scene cuts away from Dani and her father after she asks about the Demon Bear because this is information we're not privy to; Dani's family is able to pass knowledge and wisdom between each other that others do not (and should not) have access to. I particularly liked that Dani's parents were not depicted using stereotypical imagery which happens quite a bit in comics.

The story has dated elements and crude representations. The stuff with the cop and nurse is a mess in particular. I would have liked to have seen Dani playing a larger part in the final conflict - the story at times is more a showcase of how awesome Illyana is when I came expecting Dani to kick butt. I would love to hear a Cheyenne person's reaction to the story since it is so interesting.

So they're bringing X-Force back with no Dani.....sigh

She's currently Moonlock so that story thread needs to be addressed before we see her on lineups. Hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Is Warpath the GoTo character if you wanna add a minority to an XTeam in order for it not be totally Lily white?

BANNED

Considering her current status quo, it's not that surprising. Hopefully, this is just a sign they have other plans for her, along with Magik, Karma, Wolfsbane, & Strong Guy.

Its disappointing still that books keep getting announced and she is never on any of them

BANNED

She will be, it's all but guaranteed. CBC promised us.

X-Force is just the first salvo of the new era, there will be more. Even the mighty Uncanny's final, post Disassembled roster is still up in the air, and yet to be confirmed.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 09-13-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I thought it had great storytelling in terms of pacing, tension, and especially the art. This arc stands out from nearly everything in comics. The depiction of Dani's life hanging in balance was unreal and very epic. I was a bit surprised that Dani was mostly unconscious for two of those issues, though. I knew going in that this story is closely associated with her, so I expected a more active role. That being said, I think there are good reasons for that.

After thinking about it, the story is about intergenerational trauma and colonialism. Dani has physical wounds from her fight, emotional wounds from her parents' violent death, and cultural wounds from settler colonialism. The whole story is really about her friends fighting so that these traumas can heal. Had it not been for the New Mutants, the Demon Bear would have destroyed the hospital and Dani would not have a future. Emotionally, her family is healed when reunited and Dani's link to her cultural knowledge and ancestors is no longer severed. The Demon Bear is a horrifying image of colonialism that has corrupted the land (a symbolic representation of stolen land, resource extraction, pollution, etc). The New Mutants won this fight by destroying the distorted image of an Indigenous symbol (as settlers have distorted the land). This fight addressed a specific symptom of colonialism but not its root. Like Dani's father said, "you've got a long way to go before challenging the evil that spawned [the Demon Bear]." It is significant that Dani's grandfather's traditional wisdom is what protected her for so long. The scene cuts away from Dani and her father after she asks about the Demon Bear because this is information we're not privy to; Dani's family is able to pass knowledge and wisdom between each other that others do not (and should not) have access to. I particularly liked that Dani's parents were not depicted using stereotypical imagery which happens quite a bit in comics.

The story has dated elements and crude representations. The stuff with the cop and nurse is a mess in particular. I would have liked to have seen Dani playing a larger part in the final conflict - the story at times is more a showcase of how awesome Illyana is when I came expecting Dani to kick butt. I would love to hear a Cheyenne person's reaction to the story since it is so interesting.
    Great insights! I doubt Claremont had anti-colonialism in mind, but it makes sense. Anyone remember what the Adversary's motive was? Since he's the one who sent/created the Demon Bear, I wonder if it lines up.

Tom's and Sharon's transformation is certainly problematic. At least they didn't start acting like Native Americans, unlike another bodyswapped character who was suddenly a ninja. They should be switched back sometime, though. If they're alive again, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

I'm not worried. It's time she was on an official X-men team, and I seriously doubt the Uncanny roster is set or that it will be the only other team book.

Sharon is dead and Tom Corsi seems to enjoy the superpowers that came with his new body.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I personally would have liked to have seen a repowered Dani in X-Force. I know it wouldn't have been anything new, but I'd like to see Moonstar in a regular ongoing title, and this would be better than nothing. I'm sure there are still other titles to be announced, and hopefully she'll be involved with one of them.