Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1140
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Just pointing out that other New Mutants have her beat in areas of uniqueness
    Uniqueness isn't about appearance. Illyana straddles that line of evil/hero consistently. They moved in that direction with Xi'an in the last LS, but Illyana has a more history.

This is why marvel needs to use MORE of the New Mutants/Young Xmen in their main stories and teams. There's more "uniqueness" in the younger generations. Armor gets more use than others, but Marvel can do better to be more inclusive of the other generations.

JUST having teams of the Older O5, the time displaced O5, and the Storm/Wolverine generation is getting boring and sad.

Dani should be the next team leader instead of Kitty Pryde.

Just pointing out that other New Mutants have her beat in areas of uniqueness
    Not hair color. None of the NMs have a unique hair color and as WhiteQueenEmmaFrost pointed out, I wasnt going by appearance

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think most writers love to use Illyana bc there really arent too many characters like her. She has a very intresting backstory and she herself is quite unique and not too many other characters fall into the same archetype that she does.
    the part in bold and orange seemed like in addition to her unique background you counted her appearance as being a stand out in the NM team but with San, Doug Amara all being Blonde isn't true so I took your post out of context. My bad

The other NM are a bit more "generic" in that regard and stand out far less than Magik
    in backstory Maaaaaybe but with a Dude hurtling through the sky like a rocket, Native Chick firing Glowing arrows, non Ninjafied Vietnamese chick with unique power signature, a Blacked out guy with swirls/dots of energy coming off him, fiery chick covered in lava, a werewolf, Ilyana looks preeeeeetty generic the Eldritch armor and soulswordvdo little to remedy this as Art Adams is the only one who can make her armor truly look Magikal..... the only one she beats on appearance is Doug... except when he's in a Warlock battlesuit

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Uniqueness isn't about appearance. Illyana straddles that line of evil/hero consistently. They moved in that direction with Xi'an in the last LS, but Illyana has a more history.
    I meeeeeeean there's a plethora of Blonde chicks in the MU but I agree about her unique backstory
    yeah I agree about uniqueness I just thought the poster was adding another aspect to gauge uniqueness lol
    QUOTE=Havok83;3983524]Not hair color. None of the NMs have a unique hair color and as WhiteQueenEmmaFrost pointed out, I wasnt going by appearance[/QUOTE]Rhane does
    But to prevent derailment I'd be happy to discuss in private message

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post

This is why marvel needs to use MORE of the New Mutants/Young Xmen in their main stories and teams. There's more "uniqueness" in the younger generations. Armor gets more use than others, but Marvel can do better to be more inclusive of the other generations.
    But they prefer to use Glob, Armor, Ink, Shattterstar, Domino, Boom-Boom etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    But they prefer to use Glob, Armor, Ink, Shattterstar, Domino, Boom-Boom etc.
    These are from different generations

BANNED

I think most writers love to use Illyana bc there really arent too many characters like her. She has a very intresting backstory and she herself is quite unique and not too many other characters fall into the same archetype that she does. The other NM are a bit more "generic" in that regard and stand out far less than Magik
    Before Bendis? And so far, it kinda peaked with him, no? Her backstory's really convoluted tho, which is probably why she's been avoided in other media, and restricted to the comics all this time. There is the upcoming movie, of course, and she was gonna be used in WatXM S2. But both are recent, or more so, at least. What archetype do you think she fills? She's a bit of a tabula rasa too, easily imprinted & projected upon, which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Before Bendis? And so far, it kinda peaked with him, no? Her backstory's really convoluted tho, which is probably why she's been avoided in other media, and restricted to the comics all this time. There is the upcoming movie, of course, and she was gonna be used in WatXM S2. But both are recent, or more so, at least. What archetype do you think she fills? She's a bit of a tabula rasa too, easily imprinted & projected upon, which helps.
    Gillen in UXM and Wells in NM, where she was a central figure. Lemire in EXM was all over her. ResurrXion put her in limbo as the books that launched were built on nostalgia and her generation didnt make that cut. Obviously that changed with the NM series and Rosenberg centered it around her. Outside of RessurXion, she's been used consistently across multiple series and writers since her return and most often in lead roles

Dark demonic sorceress....there arent too many characters that fit that bill. Its rather unique and not one you see often
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-24-2018 at 05:36 AM.

BANNED

I think most writers love to use Illyana bc there really arent too many characters like her. She has a very intresting backstory and she herself is quite unique and not too many other characters fall into the same archetype that she does. The other NM are a bit more "generic" in that regard and stand out far less than Magik
    Karma and Cypher doesn't have generic powers and were quite unique too.

Who can possess other human beings in the Marvel world?

Who can understand every language in the world other than Cypher?

Dani's powers is also unique except that she has lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Karma and Cypher doesn't have generic powers and were quite unique too.

Who can possess other human beings in the Marvel world?

Who can understand every language in the world other than Cypher?

Dani's powers is also unique except that she has lost it.
    Every NM is unique in their own way. I was talking the total package. Illyana is the most unique. Powers, backstory, persona, etc....

No one has the language skills of Doug but thats a powerset with very limited use in a visual medium based on action. He was the sweet innocent good guy but that is a role you'll find on most teams. Within the NM, he was redundant with Sam in that regard.

Karma, PLENTY of characters can possess. Karma's TP is very limited and her power can be replicated by most general telepaths like Jean Grey, Emma, Cuckoos, Quentin, etc.... Given the specific limitations of her psi abilities, that boxes her in a bit. Personality wise, she doesnt offer a whole lot and even within the original NM run, writers struggled on how to utilize her

Dani is definitely standout but again not bc of her powers. The illusion stuff and drawing on people's fears is something most telepaths can do. Her spitfire personality is whats most interesting about her

The only other original NM I think rivals her in terms of uniqueness is obviously Warlock but most dont seem interested in him.

When I made my original post, it wasnt to rag on the NM but offer an explanation for why I feel current writers tend to gravitate towards using Magik over them. Her powerset is more versatile and useful in any setting. Her personality can be cold and off putting but that shifts the dynamics of a group and gives other characters material to bounce off of. She can be morally grey and do awful things that wouldnt fly with other characters. She has alot to offer a creator
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-24-2018 at 08:10 AM.

BANNED

Gillen in UXM and Wells in NM, where she was a central figure. Lemire in EXM was all over her. ResurrXion put her in limbo as the books that launched were built on nostalgia and her generation didnt make that cut. Obviously that changed with the NM series and Rosenberg centered it around her. Outside of RessurXion, she's been used consistently across multiple series and writers since her return and most often in lead roles

Dark demonic sorceress....there arent too many characters that fit that bill. Its rather unique and not one you see often
    The first two were when I was still out of the loop, so I'll have to defer on them. But the less said about EXM, the better probably, as I don't think it did the characters involved any favors. While Dead Souls may have been Magik focused, I'd argue MoonLock upstaged her, and ultimately stole the show. But admittedly, there's some subjectivity influencing that.

Her demonic form or whatever it is, always reminded of:

... but not sure which came first. And her new, more basic Bendis look:

... like somethin' from an FF game.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    The first two were when I was still out of the loop, so I'll have to defer on them. But the less said about EXM, the better probably, as I don't think it did the characters involved any favors. While Dead Souls may have been Magik focused, I'd argue MoonLock upstaged her, and ultimately stole the show. But admittedly, there's some subjectivity influencing that.
    You should track them down bc they were good. I forgot to add that even though she wasnt in the ResurrXion books, Rosenberg was using her over in Secret Warriors. That was pretty random but adds to my point

Why hasn't Danielle been recruited into the Avengers? I'd like to see her on a team that has heroes from various backgrounds, not just mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Why hasn't Danielle been recruited into the Avengers? I'd like to see her on a team that has heroes from various backgrounds, not just mutants.
    She has no powers so I don’t see why they’d want her. That’s really limited her. She at least had temporary Valkyrie powers which landed her a spot on the Fearless Defenders

She has no powers so I don’t see why they’d want her. That’s really limited her. She at least had temporary Valkyrie powers which landed her a spot on the Fearless Defenders
    Hawkeye doesn't have any powers either.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Hawkeye doesn't have any powers either.
    He’s a classic iconic Avenger with history that goes back decades with the team. They didn’t recruit him now in the modern era when they have had dozens of heroes at their disposal.