Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Wow, I was half-expecting Mann to take over for the second issue, but happy to still see Manapul's amazing pencils .

Poor Pa Kent .

Really interested to see what's going on with the Trinity back in the past with a young Clark Kent and what kind of developments this will lead to.

Incredible Member

Fantastic art, of course.

This also confirms that this Clark had his powers when he was abut Jon's age, instead of late mid-late teens.

Spectacular Member BeefBourguignon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Fantastic art, of course.

This also confirms that this Clark had his powers when he was abut Jon's age, instead of late mid-late teens.
    I bet main reason for this is to make parallels with raising and teaching Jon.
    Great repositories for everything regarding Post-Crisis Superman
    http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/
    http://superman86to99.tumblr.com/

Well, this seals it. Rebirth Superman's past is quite different from post-Crisis Superman. Dude's not him. Or, more aptly I think, he's not post-Crisis Superman anymore. I mean, I'm sure this view into the past isn't "real". But it's obviously based on Clark's real memories considering the narration, so it seems likely that in Clark's past he indeed developed his powers young and, the most important difference, Jonathan died when Clark was young too. In fact the set-up here looks like Clark loses him a lot younger than he ever did in any previous incarnation.

I'm hoping we'll get various moments of shock from Clark when talking about/remembering his past. Moments of clarity where it clicks that he is different than he used to be, but then the feeling passes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2016 at 12:03 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

spoilers:
    Pa's not dead https://www.instagram.com/p/BK3F30qARnB/
    end of spoilers, but as far as the powers go, this is around the age that Secret Origin's Clark had his powers. Not too long after this he becomes Superboy.

I think it's more the safe to assume that this Clark isn't the Superman from the late 80s origin. That much is clear. However that leaves quite a few more origins before the New 52 to rule out. The most likely is Secret Origins given Johns is the one who made it. But I'd say that we have a pretty good chance of getting a sort of retroactive reconciling of all of his pre-52 origins into one super origin that's housed by Secret Origin's Silver age style origin.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-18-2016 at 12:32 AM.

Got the first issue but i think i might trade wait,due to the art being so beautiful.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This is roughly the age when all Supermen developed powers or certain powers, including the Byrne Superman. Wait and see on this origin twist that doesn't gel with anything we know.

BANNED

He is not pre flashpoint superman,and he never was.

Fantastic Member

Wait..."Dad"?

That's either a monumental screwup or a hint that you can't take the things in this story at face value.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah tbh I was thinking that maybe the writer just doesn't know Superman all that well. That scene doesn't work even if the origin isn't quite how we remember. But maybe it's all intentional, like this is some weird acid trip with butterfly effects or something. Certainly a Mongul team up with Ivy could produce that.

Astonishing Member

So he had his full powerset as a kid? Good.

Now just confirm the legion connection and that he operated as a crime fighter in some fashion and we'll be golden.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Jonathan's death is the factor that doesn't gel with anything we know about post-Crisis Superman. According to Superman's narrative Jonathan has a heart attack when Clark is still relatively young. That's staggeringly different than any post-Crisis origin story, all of them of which Jonathan lives well into superman's adulthood and doesn't die until his elder years. And again I'm taking this only from the narration of his memory, I'm well aware that what we're seeing on the page with the Trinity actually having Jonathan's body and meeting young Clark is probably an illusion. But that illusion is highly likely to be based around real events.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

How did Pa die before COIE changed things?

In original post-Crisis history, Jonathan lived until shortly before Final Crisis. He died in Johns' Brainiac storyline, when he succumbed to a heart attack after Brainiac fired a missle at the Kent Farm and Jonathan dove on Martha to protect her from the blast.