Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Deadpool Vs. X-Force #1 Discussion w/Spoilers

This was a fun issue. It was mostly Deadpool and Cable, but all the characters get panel time.

Basically the story is before he met the New Mutants, Deadpool is hired to go back in time to stop a young boy from dying in war. However, he ends up going back to The Revolutionary War to help the colonists (he even has a list of people he can and cannot kill). Sensing a chronal disturbance, Cable assembles his best students, Cannonball, Warpath, Domino (no mention if it's actually Copycat), and Boom Boom (Shatterstar and Feral had hair appointments), to chase Deadpool through time.

This was mostly a set-up issue, but it's pretty interesting. Cable and Deadpool have not met before, so there is an interesting dynamic there. Given that his name is in the title, it's no surprise that Deadpool is the star of the issue. Swierczynski manages to write a Deadpool who is fun but not over-the-top. He also doesn't dominate the issue. We know Swierczynski writes a great Cable, but the other four X-Force members didn't have enough panel time to show how well he grasps them, but I expect they will shine more in issues that aren't all set-up.

Overall, I liked it a lot, and the ending implies that we're in for a wild ride, and it's going to be difficult for Cable and his crew to keep up.

Thoughts?

Not-over-the-top Deadpool always outshines Whacky over-the-top Deadpool in my opinion. I liked this a lot. Loved the reason Deadpool is doing this too. I'm still waiting for the present-day meeting of Wade and Nathan, but this will definitely hold me over.

This was definitely a fun read.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Good to have Duane Swierczynski back on the x books

Made me break my Deadpool embargo.

It was good setup though I'm not sure about this miniseries just yet. Was never a fan of 90s X-force, personally would have preferred a modern Deadpool vs X-Force.

BANNED

Looked through it at my LCS, not a but for me but I will trade wait or do it as a digital sale as the art is gorg!
    I was actually surprised to find the cover art as poor(IMO) as it was. This is actually a case of the cover hiding inner beauty as opposed to the alternate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    It was good setup though I'm not sure about this miniseries just yet. Was never a fan of 90s X-force, personally would have preferred a modern Deadpool vs X-Force.
    Different strokes I guess. To me, these five characters are X-Force (along with their contemporaries). Other versions of the team are just cheap imitations.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Not-over-the-top Deadpool always outshines Whacky over-the-top Deadpool in my opinion. I liked this a lot. Loved the reason Deadpool is doing this too. I'm still waiting for the present-day meeting of Wade and Nathan, but this will definitely hold me over.
    Absolutely!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    Looked through it at my LCS, not a but for me but I will trade wait or do it as a digital sale as the art is gorg!
    I was actually surprised to find the cover art as poor(IMO) as it was. This is actually a case of the cover hiding inner beauty as opposed to the alternate.
    I'm a really big fan of the variant

I quite enjoyed the issue.
    >A nice bit of 90s nostalgia.
    >Pouches!!!!
    >Deadpool was crazy but not 4th Wall-Breaker crazy.
    >Cable bodysliding... I've missed that.
    >The art was great! Pepe Larraz needs to do more X-books.

I look forward to the next issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I missed this version of Deadpool! Not a fan of the over the top cartoon character he has become and stopped reading when Daniel Way started on him. So this book is a breath of fresh air. Gonna enjoy this!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I missed this version of Deadpool! Not a fan of the over the top cartoon character he has become and stopped reading when Daniel Way started on him. So this book is a breath of fresh air. Gonna enjoy this!
    I'm sure you've heard it a million times by now... but his new ongoing is really, really good. And not 32 pages of toilet humor and bad jokes.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I'm a really big fan of the variant

Is that Campbell? I'm trying to read the sig. He got Cannonballs face just right. I hate when artists make him too pretty and metro. He looks like a gawky country boy here.

Fun issue all in all. Great to look at. Larraz did a wonderful job. I'm looking forward to reading a bit more of the rest of X-Force, since Tabs, Warpath, Domino and Cannonballz have all been missing from the x books for a while.

Did anyone else snigger like a dirty teenager when Deadpool referred to his repeated ball gags as "low hanging fruit"? I think I've found my new favourite euphemism. (Might just be me.)

image.jpg
    Welcome back Tabs and Jimmy.

Seriously, every page is so bright, and fun, it's hard to pick one out. Woodard did a fabulous job with the colouring.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 07-02-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Is that Campbell? I'm trying to read the sig.

Yup! J. Scott Campbell

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks cc008.

Does anyone else think the main cover is Larraz's homage to the 90's? It's got a bit of a retro feel to it, and the lines and shading look different to the interior art. I assumed it was, given the whole book is a massive nostalgia fest. (And I liked it!)

image.jpg

How Lielfeld would have drawn it in 1990, if Liefeld could draw like Larraz.
    Deadpool's expression is class.
    "Self has no time for this."