Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The One & Only BIRDS OF PREY Appreciation!

BIRDS OF PREY

INFORMATION
    DEBUT: November 1995
    FIRST APPEARANCE: Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey
    CREATED BY: Chuck Dixon; Jordan B. Gorfinkel; Gary Frank

ON-GOING SERIES
    (1999) Birds of Prey #1-127
    (2010) Birds of Prey #1-15
    (2011) Birds of Prey #0-34
    (2016) Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #Rebirth-22

MEMBERSHIP
    Batgirl/Oracle
    Big Barda
    Black Alice
    Black Canary
    Catwoman
    Dove
    Gypsy
    Hawkgirl
    Huntress
    Infinity
    Judomaster
    Katana
    Katarina Armstrong
    Lady Blackhawk
    Lady Shiva
    Manhunter
    Misfit
    Onyx
    Poison Ivy
    Starling
    Spoiler/Batgirl
    Rose & Thorn
    Vixen

Show some appreciation!!
    Last edited by El_Gato; 03-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

This feels like it would be more appropriate in the Batman forum but always happy to show the Birds of Prey some love .

The current series just keeps getting better and I am really looking forward to seeing Nightwing in the next arc. Interesting that #7 was solicited as part 1 of a story and is was #8.Dinah seems to be getting the best characterisation in it,her banter with Huntress and Batgirl are good and her acting as the middle ground between the 2 is interesting.

I am planning on collecting the birds of Prey large recollections which are being released at the moment, and I am looking forward to it.
    Is it worth picking up the new 52 BOP in trades? I read #9 and #0 and they were okay. I heard it goes downhill so maybe I should only collect the first few;if so which trades?

I enjoy the team most when it is less then 5 street level hero,preferably 2 or 3 in field and one behind the scenes character like Oracle. I feel like if you do not know what every character thinks of each other,then the team is too big or the characterisation is not good enough for a BOP book. I don't like it when characters like Vixen and Big Barda join.I liked Katana on the team(but happy she is not on it at the moment as she would not fit.)

"You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

I never knew there was that many members before!

BANNED

I didn't know there were so many members too. The Birds of Prey to me is Black Canary, Huntress and Batgirl (or Barbara in any identity) that's it. I really like them because they are Batman's harem

I'm open to a new oracle though since Barbara is Batgirl now btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I didn't know there were so many members too. The Birds of Prey to me is Black Canary, Huntress and Batgirl (or Barbara in any identity) that's it. I really like them because they are Batman's harem

I'm open to a new oracle though since Barbara is Batgirl now btw.
    Yeah there are more members, it's just those three are the founders and have the longest tenure with the team. The BOP are like a more successful version of A-Force, at least in my eyes.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    The BOP are like a more successful version of A-Force, at least in my eyes.
    Shouldn't the order of that sentence be reversed due to the immense age disparity? The Birds are the little Chuck Dixon's side project that achieved the status of mainstream all-female superhero team par excellence, while the A-Force is the immensely-pushed knockoff team that fizzled out in one year and a half. A-Force is a version of the Birds, not the other way around.

BANNED

Yeah there are more members, it's just those three are the founders and have the longest tenure with the team. The BOP are like a more successful version of A-Force, at least in my eyes.
    I don't know A-Force but BOP is successful for sure, thanks to writters like Chuck Dixon and Gail Simone.

BoP has more of a unique identity, IMO. A-force was fun sometimes, but I don't think the team ever truly gelled. The potential was there and there were some fun runs, but they didn't find their own place in the MU (which is why they haven't been seen or mentioned since the book ended).
    BoP has a distinct look and feel that is their own. I feel New 52 list some of that, but now Rebirth was able to recapture it, even if I find the current run kind of meh.
    I do miss Babs as Oracle (and hate the new guy) and I wish Starling was reintroduced. I think a ground team of BC, Huntress and Starling would be awesome.

What is A - Force ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    BoP has more of a unique identity, IMO. A-force was fun sometimes, but I don't think the team ever truly gelled. The potential was there and there were some fun runs, but they didn't find their own place in the MU (which is why they haven't been seen or mentioned since the book ended).
    BoP has a distinct look and feel that is their own. I feel New 52 list some of that, but now Rebirth was able to recapture it, even if I find the current run kind of meh.
    I do miss Babs as Oracle (and hate the new guy) and I wish Starling was reintroduced. I think a ground team of BC, Huntress and Starling would be awesome.
    I have't read any A-Force (cause i haven't heard any praises unlike BOP) but i totally agree that BOP has a unique identity like it's team of female Bat charaters, It has a place in DCU in Batman. It's a Bat book in core. You take it in your hands and you just know that is a Bat book. DC went crazy and sent BOP to metropolis for awhile and added wider female DCU characters but that didn't really work cause it's a Bat book.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    What is A - Force ?
    Marvel's All-Ladies team if I'm not mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Marvel's All-Ladies team if I'm not mistaken
    Yeah, it was marketed as the all-female Avengers team. Hence the name A-Force (a very unfortunate one, IMO). I think they should have kept Liberators (from Lady Liberators) or just The Fearless as a reference to the Fearless Defenders (the previous all-female team).

The Birds of Prey also have their own music number. Hard to top that .