BANNED

Default Do you feel that the final crisis should have been the last one?

the original upped the stakes to a unprecedented level with the worlds will live worlds will die tagline and introduced the concept of monitors and extra dimensional threats on a mutiversal level. final crisis was essentially about the same conflict to save the multiverse from the extra dimensional threat of darksieds "fall" and reintroduced the monitors. whether it worked or not things had come full circle. do you feel this should have been the last crisis and the moniker retired or do you feel DC can continue to use it in hope of getting it right again each time DC uses the moniker heroes in crisis notwithstanding? It's likely that the crisis and secret wars are too popular in superhero mythology to retire completely but what is your personal opinion on continuing with them?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Crisis on Infinite Earths was NEVER supposed to inspire MORE Crisis.
    What DC have done, has taken the goodwill created by a much loved (though hardly perfect) event and milked it to the absolute extreme.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I can see the appeal of using the term "Crisis" to mean an important story utilizing a plethora of heroes and villains in an epic struggle. It's as much a part of DC vocab as the prefixes Super- and Bat-. The aspect of this I dislike is the tendency to go bigger and badder with each new crisis. To attract me as a reader, make them different, and don't make every single one of them multi-versal threatening.

As much crap as Identity Crisis got, it was a deeply personal struggle and conflict which could have been handled much better. We can read about conflict and mistrust without needing the fabric of reality itself to be at risk every couple of years.

Are these ideas tough to come by? The good ones are, but hey, that's why the pros write comics.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    What DC has done, has taken the goodwill created by a much loved (though hardly perfect) event and milked it to the absolute extreme.
    This and they made the heroes of Crisis into villains.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

FINAL CRISIS was supposed to be the last one...was publicly proclaimed to be the last one...but, you know, human beings are historically terrible at resisting temptation.

But it was the last CRISIS story for THAT particular iteration of the DC Universe.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    What DC have done, has taken the goodwill created by a much loved (though hardly perfect) event and milked it to the absolute extreme.
    It’s not like CoIE was DC’s first Crisis storyline. The first Crisis was in 1963 and it became an annual event. Having more Crisis stories after CoIE isn’t sacreligious, it’s just carrying on a tradition.

Final Crisis was the end of the original Monitor’s story and the start of a new Monitor mythology with Dax Uton. I don’t think the old Monitors should return but I hope to see Morrison continue his storyline with Muliversity Too.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s not like CoIE was DC’s first Crisis storyline. The first Crisis was in 1963 and it became an annual event. Having more Crisis stories after CoIE isn’t sacreligious, it’s just carrying on a tradition.

Final Crisis was the end of the original Monitor’s story and the start of a new Monitor mythology with Dax Uton. I don’t think the old Monitors should return but I hope to see Morrison continue his storyline with Muliversity Too.
    The difference between the Silver/Bronze Age Pre-COIE CRISIS stories vs. COIE itself and Post-COIE CRISIS stories was that the former were summer team-up stories that were of no permanent consequence: at the end, most of the pieces were put back into their customary places and the status quo went on. There were occasional rare casualties such as Larry Lance, but for the most part, the stories were inconsequential beyond themselves.

In contrast, COIE and Post-COIE CRISIS stories are typically year-long affairs that require a year or more of build up, result in mass bloodlettings in terms of the characters, and often have a way of screwing things up for years or even decades in their wake.

Thus, while it's correct to say that COIE was not DC's first CRISIS story, it did introduce a whole meaner brand of CRISIS story that we've been stuck with ever since.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

It seems to me that words should matter. So if the company decides to brand something as the final whatever and they promote the thing as that, then they should stand by that commitment or else their words are meaningless. That forces them to really consider beforehand what they want to call a thing.

I trusted that DC execs had really thought it through and discussed it in the offices and made the hard decision that this was going to be the final series with the Crisis title. But they were willing to make that sacrifice because they were dedicated to the premise.

If they later back out of that commitment, they should pay the consequences for dissembling and it's right to hold their feet to the fire. Because they broke faith with what they promised their readers.

Fantastic Member

As I mentioned in my breakdown earlier this year, Final Crisis was final in a logic internal to the story, not in a marketing sense.

It's really Superman Beyond that contained the "final" part: The best superheroes, exemplified by Superman, will defeat any future effort even by writers to write them into something worse or out of existence. They defeat the villains in their stories and even defeat efforts in the real world to get rid of them. And that's a challenge which happened to appear on the cover of TIME magazine in 1988.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2018/02/f...-part-iii.html