Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Bleeding Cool: Editors bleeding from eyes as creators work so close to deadline

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/...le-dc-rebirth/

Now this is *very* interesting and I think worthy of discussion. Check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingCool.com
    In a Graphic Policy‘s hour-and-a-three-quarters long discussion embedded below, about Wonder Woman, Superwoman and other comic book work, Phil Jiminez talked about how, for DC Rebirth, he was originally going to be working on Superman with Bryan Hitch, which didn’t work out, he was then working on Action Comics, when it was decided he would be writing the Superwoman character for that comic. And then talked about finding out on Bleeding Cool that Superwoman would be getting her own book and he’s be doing it. Happy to help, Phil…
    Bryan Hitch's much-derided Justice League (and I concur with the majority on that--last issue was a mess with lack of detail, a paper thin plot and clunky dialogue) tells me those of us who are Superman fans majorly dodged a bullet when Hitch didn't get the Superman gig. Though not having Phil Jimenez on Superman or Action Comics is disappointing (not that I don't love Superwoman, because I really do).

[Jimenez] also talks about how the New 52 emotionally unattached him from DC Comics, but Rebirth reconnected with him, about how non-native artists tend to draw more homogenous crowds for America rather than reflect ethnic diversity – also stating that crowd shots in comics set in the UK seem to miss out those of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladesh origin. And how editors at DC right now are bleeding from the eyes as creators are creating so close to deadline. And how in the past he has been wary of working for DC because they couldn’t be relied upon, editorially, but now things are very different. For now.
    So...the editorial team are behaving very differently and can be relied on now. Nice, very nice!

But that whole "bleeding from the eyes" because they're working so close to deadline?" Ouch. Well, it's working so I'm not gonna knock it, especially since I'm loving most DC titles now. But hopefully they'll keep that under control.

First off, a little bummed that Traci 13 and Nat Irons are together, if only because I liked her and Jaime together.

Second, I would rather start at stressful situations for editors and then scale back form there then the other way around. Right now the books are better than they have been in a while so I am very okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    First off, a little bummed that Traci 13 and Nat Irons are together, if only because I liked her and Jaime together.

Second, I would rather start at stressful situations for editors and then scale back form there then the other way around. Right now the books are better than they have been in a while so I am very okay with it.
    Eh, I'm okay with Jamie not being with Natasha as I wasn't reading the books that featured them together.

I am more surprised by the news that Bryan Hitch almost landed the gig writing Superman or Action Comics. Given how well-written and very well-received Tomasi, Gleason & Jurgens have been on those 2 books, I'm relieved Hitch wasn't moved off of Justice League. It's been so nice to read all the Superman titles and love them very enthusiastically.

I had assumed (wrongly) that DC's editorial assembly line was running ahead of schedule which is why books are coming out on time and (usually) with the creative teams as promised the majority of the time. To hear they are running so close to deadline is a bit unnerving.

But it's working and working beautifully so I am not complaining. I'm just...concerned.

And though I love Superwoman, I confess I would've loved to have seen Phil Jimenez on Superman or Action Comics.

Jimenez on Action Comics would have been vastly preferable to Jurgens.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Jimenez on Action Comics would have been vastly preferable to Jurgens.
    I see it more as 6 of one, half-a-dozen of another. I've loved Jurgens' run on Action so far. It reads very old school Superman to me in the best possible way. And it definitely doesn't feel decompressed at all, which I really love!

Besides, if I'm reading the BC article right, the original plan was to have Action just feature what we're getting in Superwoman. I think DC made the right call here. It's not Action Comics without Superman and Jurgens and the art team they have on the book (Zircher, Segovia and Kirkham) have been producing good stories. I look forward to every issue.

That makes Superwoman a great bonus to the Superman Family of titles. More for my money giving us 3 books instead of 2!

If that's the case, then I'd agree they made the right move. If they were teasing with the idea of Action basically being the home of the Superwoman character they were right to change up. Other characters taking over a Superman book does not work and hasn't worked since Reign. When I say I'd prefer Jimenez on Action, it would be with the proviso that he'd be writing Superman as the star.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If that's the case, then I'd agree they made the right move. If they were teasing with the idea of Action basically being the home of the Superwoman character they were right to change up. Other characters taking over a Superman book does not work and hasn't worked since Reign. When I say I'd prefer Jimenez on Action, it would be with the proviso that he'd be writing Superman as the star.
    Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. Again, if you read the BC article, it sure sounds like Superwoman was going to be the star of Action Comics, but DC decided to give her her own book.

I agree that if that's the case, then DC definitely made the right call.

Still, the idea of Jimenez drawing Superman sounds incredible. But not with writing by Bryan Hitch, I'm sorry to say.

Maybe that's why Super Sons was delayed and we did not saw that much of news on a Rebirth Wave 2. The creative teams must be adapting to the new reality
    Favorite books right now: Wonder Woman, Groo, Usagi Yojimbo, Super Sons

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. Again, if you read the BC article, it sure sounds like Superwoman was going to be the star of Action Comics, but DC decided to give her her own book.

I agree that if that's the case, then DC definitely made the right call.

Still, the idea of Jimenez drawing Superman sounds incredible. But not with writing by Bryan Hitch, I'm sorry to say.
    Hitch on Justice League was a huge mistake. I had some issues with Johns run but at least I understood why they chose him. Why Hitch? Hopefully he's just there as sort of a fill in writer while they figure out what next big direction to take the League in. It's strange how, despite this relaunch increasing the quality of most DC books, their flagship title is a bloody mess.

I think the bullet was dodged on both of those. Hitch is improving as a writer but is far from Tomasi and Jurgens. Superwoman is just bad without the improvement. It's a chore to read not because it's dense/wordy but because it's not compelling. Stan Lee was wordy yet his decades old 60's comics hold up. He needs a co-writer.

I give Hitch more chances to grow because I see improvement and because it's about heroes I care more about but if DC said JL was more important than say Deathstroke I'd be all for the switch on writers. Superwoman is a good place for an inexperienced writer to improve their skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Hitch on Justice League was a huge mistake. I had some issues with Johns run but at least I understood why they chose him. Why Hitch? Hopefully he's just there as sort of a fill in writer while they figure out what next big direction to take the League in. It's strange how, despite this relaunch increasing the quality of most DC books, their flagship title is a bloody mess.
    Sadly I found it no less strange than putting Perez on Superman. I kind of get Perez on WW since he also drew it for a couple years. Hitch Perez Jimenez all great artists and not great writers. Things like Superman Wonder Woman and Justice League should always be top writers with proven track records.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think the bullet was dodged on both of those. Hitch is improving as a writer but is far from Tomasi and Jurgens. Superwoman is just bad without the improvement. It's a chore to read not because it's dense/wordy but because it's not compelling. Stan Lee was wordy yet his decades old 60's comics hold up. He needs a co-writer.

I give Hitch more chances to grow because I see improvement and because it's about heroes I care more about but if DC said JL was more important than say Deathstroke I'd be all for the switch on writers. Superwoman is a good place for an inexperienced writer to improve their skills.
    ...?...

I may have misunderstood your post, but are you saying Hitch needs to improve as a writer on Superwoman? Because Hitch is not writing Superwoman. The writer on that book is Phil Jimenez--and I think he's doing a good job on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I just wish Hitch were a fast penciller. When he takes his time, he turns in beautiful artwork. If he could manage it, he could do amazing work on an ongoing book as an artist. Even put him on a mini-series like The Fall & Rise Of Captain Atom.

I actually kind of enjoyed his run on JLA last year. The idea and even the execution of Rao was very entertaining and intriguing. But his Rebirth run of Justice League has been shockingly disppointing so far.

I'm saying neither is a good enough writer to be on Superman or Justice League. Phil on Superwoman is a good choice since it's a b list character to hopefully improve his writing on and I'd rather Priest wrote Justice League and Hitch do Deathstroke so he could improve on a b lister.

As writers I see improvement in hitch, not so much Phil but Hitch has a lot more issue to show improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm saying neither is a good enough writer to be on Superman or Justice League. Phil on Superwoman is a good choice since it's a b list character to hopefully improve his writing on and I'd rather Priest wrote Justice League and Hitch do Deathstroke so he could improve on a b lister.

As writers I see improvement in hitch, not so much Phil but Hitch has a lot more issue to show improvement.
    Really? Hmm, I love Jimenez's work as writer/artist on Superwoman. He wrote Lois Lane's death in a way that I was saddened by her passing and his characterization of Lana Lang has been compelling.