DC Comics Historian

Default Is King trying to be too cute? Batman #61

Why is everyone trying to be Morrison? Grant took Batman and did amazing things when it came to tinkering with the past and throwing things at us that we weren't expecting. Snyder did it and for me it fell flat. And now two writers have tried to imitate his style brazenly with Kings Batman 61. . It's not even subtle. King is trying to be cute. It's not working for me. It's even come down to throwing a nonsense issue before continuing his storyline just like Morrison did before ending his Batman Inc. run. Sigh... First he pulls what he did with the Batrimony thing and now this. Money Money Money Hubba Hubba Hubba Who do you trust?

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I don't see any similarities between King, Snyder, or Morrison.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Why? What happened?

Yeah, no, not seeing it. You're reaching.

I don't see it either, while I didn't like Morrisons Batman run, he's miles better than King anyway.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Dark Knights Metal was really the only Morrison-like Bat story since Morrison, and it was pretty well done. Not seeing it with King, he is taking a much less classical approach
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't see any similarities between Synder and Morrison, whatsoever.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Dark Knights Metal was really the only Morrison-like Bat story since Morrison, and it was pretty well done. Not seeing it with King, he is taking a much less classical approach
    Batman dying and the issue of him being different versions of himself. That was all very Morrison like and ultimately said exactly all the same things Morrison tried to say. I can even break it down for you. I actually have written an article on it.

http://thebatmanuniverse.net/editorial-3/

Now with the Knightmares storyline in which King is making Batman see different versions of himself once again it is all repeating. I wish someone had something new to say. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    Batman dying and the issue of him being different versions of himself. That was all very Morrison like and ultimately said exactly all the same things Morrison tried to say. I can even break it down for you. I actually have written an article on it.

Now with the Knightmares storyline in which King is making Batman see different versions of himself once again it is all repeating. I wish someone had something new to say. That's all.
    I guess Neil Gaiman did was trying to be cute when writing whatever happened to the caped crusader, because, obviously, Morrison is the first writer to make a story about the death of Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post

Oh ok, I get you. Well under the head of "deconstruction of superheroes" then you have a good point. King is doing that, absolutely.

Just the same, Snyder and King haven't felt the same way Morrison did. To me anyhow. Not to the point where I felt either were well-trodden ground.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Oh ok, I get you. Well under the head of "deconstruction of superheroes" then you have a good point. King is doing that, absolutely.

Just the same, Snyder and King haven't felt the same way Morrison did. To me anyhow. Not to the point where I felt either were well-trodden ground.
    Could you explain what he means? I still don't see the similarities.

BANNED

I always felt Morrison reached for the stars while King and Snyder till the ground.

I'm more annoyed with the cliffhanger at the end of #60 just being brushed aside to make room for the new Knightmares arc. Ugh.