Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default Does anyone else hate the idea of Robin being a distraction for Batman?

I recently saw that someone mentioned that Robin's suit was colorful so it would distract enemies so Batman can take them down. I saw this mentioned before and I hate this idea. I just don't see Batman putting a kid in harm's way especially as a distraction. Like, I guess whichever writer introduced this tried to reason with the colorful concept of Robin's costume compared to Batman's method of stealth at night, but it just seems to much of the moody and edgy Batman I've come to hate. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I recently saw that someone mentioned that Robin's suit was colorful so it would distract enemies so Batman can take them down. I saw this mentioned before and I hate this idea. I just don't see Batman putting a kid in harm's way especially as a distraction. Like, I guess whichever writer introduced this tried to reason with the colorful concept of Robin's costume compared to Batman's method of stealth at night, but it just seems to much of the moody and edgy Batman I've come to hate. Thoughts?
    I mean I WOULD if ever thought anyone was serious about it...

I've only ever seen that as a kind of morbid fan-joke and occasionally a comment from villains who are trying to shake Robin off his game, not as a serious suggestion that Batman is using him as a distraction.

In comics, whenever it comes up, Batman always complains, but lets Robin (the first one anyway) get away with colorful because he insists on it, to respect his parents. Jason got the exact same costume because Batman was kind of using him as replacement Robin, Tim is a fanboy and strongly believes in the identity of Robin and thus makes only small modifications, and as for Damian, by this point, if he wore anything different, he wouldn't be seen as Robin and he couldn't stand that. So we really have Dick to blame/thank for their color coordination problems.

It's also kind of obvious Bruce had zero role in this decision, because if he did, Robin would be called "Batboy" or something like that and be wearing black. Bruce's design aesthetic is pretty straightforward.

From Batman: Dark Victory, Bruce is kind of shocked by Dick's color scheme (first thing he says when he gets a chance is "What IS that your wearing?") and tries to gently convince him to wear something more practical, as shown below:

The Origin of Robin.jpg

Doesn't Jason Todd make this observation in Titans?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Doesn't Jason Todd make this observation in Titans?
    Yeah, I’m pretty sure he does

There is such much wrong with the idea of Robin wen you get thinking about it. Batman is a bad man.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Robin is just Batman's partner. The Watson to his Holmes. That's how it should be played. Older Richard Grayson as Watson to Bruce Wayne's Holmes.

I guess the whole concept of Robin is wrong if you think about it that way, he's still putting a kid in harms way even if the bright colors aren't intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared S View Post
    I mean I WOULD if ever thought anyone was serious about it...

I've only ever seen that as a kind of morbid fan-joke and occasionally a comment from villains who are trying to shake Robin off his game, not as a serious suggestion that Batman is using him as a distraction.

In comics, whenever it comes up, Batman always complains, but lets Robin (the first one anyway) get away with colorful because he insists on it, to respect his parents. Jason got the exact same costume because Batman was kind of using him as replacement Robin, Tim is a fanboy and strongly believes in the identity of Robin and thus makes only small modifications, and as for Damian, by this point, if he wore anything different, he wouldn't be seen as Robin and he couldn't stand that. So we really have Dick to blame/thank for their color coordination problems.

It's also kind of obvious Bruce had zero role in this decision, because if he did, Robin would be called "Batboy" or something like that and be wearing black. Bruce's design aesthetic is pretty straightforward.

From Batman: Dark Victory, Bruce is kind of shocked by Dick's color scheme (first thing he says when he gets a chance is "What IS that your wearing?") and tries to gently convince him to wear something more practical, as shown below:

The Origin of Robin.jpg
    I wonder why DC never used the name Batboy

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The idea of Robin just being a distraction for Batman sounds like something a Robin would think after a long night of Bruce being an a dick.

I mean, Robin's role is generally to support Batman, and sometimes that means distracting villains but I don't think Batman just intends for Robin to be there to take bullets for him.

Don't think about it too hard
    Bruce is bad enough without putting the insane amount of child endangerment and abuse on his head by coming up with a solid reason for dressing up a less skilled, weaker version of himself in a non stealthy, non armored, less protective costume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Don't think about it too hard
    Bruce is bad enough without putting the insane amount of child endangerment and abuse on his head by coming up with a solid reason for dressing up a less skilled, weaker version of himself in a non stealthy, non armored, less protective costume.
    "Hey! There is a brightly dressed CHILD to your left. Please aim bullets in that direction--NOT in the direction of the large, muscular man dressed in black who is currently kicking your skulls in."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

As far as I remember, there's never been a depiction of Robin deliberately used as a distraction, in a comic or in any adaptation. The costume is colorful simply because the original was a circus star who loves to be at the center of attention and fast enough to dodge bullets.

BANNED

Just being stealth is better than using a colorful kid... lol But Batman just likes to carry a brat around so yeah, he uses him as distraction sometimes, Robin's acrobatic jumping around in all those bright colors and talketiveness gives Batman an adventege to sneak from behind time to time. Robin's main purpose is amusement though, Batman is dark, with or without Robin but with Robin, he gigles inside sometimes. lol