Page 1 of 102 123451151101 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Duke Thomas: We Are Robin, Signal Appreciation 2018

Well, I personally think the yellow suit is pretty rad. Not quite as cool as Sean Murphy and Greg Capullo's future/hallucination drawings of Lark (from Detective Comcis #27 and Batman #35), but nice. I really wish Snyder would just call him Lark in ASB, though!
    Last edited by millernumber1; 01-05-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Duke's finally been taking some initiative between NotMM and ASB. It's overdue perhaps, but I genuinely like that it's happening, that he's making his own decisions and helping out.
    And he's a metal fan? That's always a plus.

The Dark Knight

What story/stories was Duke introduced in? Would like to read one before i start All Star.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Duke's a decent character. I think he's likable, and I don't know why his costume gets a bad rap, I think black and yellow is a cool scheme. We need more minority characters in Gotham, so I hope he sticks around and fills that role (Luke Fox was boring).
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 10-19-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

.... I am not a fan of the old generation of pre-flashpoint... although batman comics are equally good.. but..

BETTER THAN ROBIN.. is something that bothers me for some reason... Despite the continuities, we are fans of the batman world... maybe my problem is something normal, I respect the Robin role and meaning..

Ok... I believe than Duke is more cute(for say something) in this image of ¿Year 0? is better... Look that hair.. even seems more nice character..

Duke_Thomas_(Prime_Earth).jpg

...Even in Future Ends(as Robin) his design, hair and costume was better, than the current.....

His hairstyle is too simple and the costume is too colorful, I never thought that anyone could beat Steph in that among the Bat-characters... a Yellow costume? Is like a Power Ranger... Harper seems more a Bat-character than Duke..

If DC want to continue with Duke... The character should made grow his hair, and change this costume for.. SOMETHING BETTER.. Then, maybe the anti-duke are less..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-17-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post

Duke's a decent character. I think he's likable, and I don't know why his costume gets a bad rap, I think black and yellow is a cool scheme. We need more minority characters in Gotham, so I hope he sticks around and fills that role (Luke Fox was boring). I already like him more than Tim Drake.
    While I disagree about Luke (quite a bit, I like that guy), I think taking the thread and actually appreciating Duke would be better than locking. It would hopefully allow the fans of Duke like yourself to have a space to talk about him.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I figured Duke would merit his own appreciation thread eventually, I just didn't expect it to happen like this.

I initially disliked Duke alot when he was intoduced, but that was more because of the Bat-family's crowdedness. I am looking forward to his development in All-Star Batman, and I think that I will ultimately end up liking him better than a majority of the post-Crisis Bat-family (who probably shouldn't have been reintegrated post-Flashpoint, but that is a different can of worms.)
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

But it doesn't have to stay that way. That's why I posted what I did as soon as I saw the thread - I think it could be a fun thread, if people are really interesting in appreciating Duke.

Pretty sure it's not that hidden, though.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really do appreciate that Duke is being used like Mr Bloom, to be a present day relevant perspective from our culture. And specifically, Duke is meant look at current youth culture of, apparently, creating yourself from various subcultures you like around you and being more independent, more self-starting, more suspicious of the old ways.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Duke's finally been taking some initiative between NotMM and ASB. It's overdue perhaps, but I genuinely like that it's happening, that he's making his own decisions and helping out.
    And he's a metal fan? That's always a plus.
    Yeah, I think he is slowly graduating from the Cave to the streets as his own vigilante. And he is growing on me, he has a lot of potential and perhaps more reasons to be a masked vigilante than Tim Drake (and I'm serious here). I just hope the authors will take time to make it grow in a coherent fashion.

Well, talking about Duke, I don't see his evolution bad. He's weak and unexperienced, he don't know anything about being a Robin and has some wrong ideas about Batman and the Robins. Why these is a bad thing?. To my view it's better, in this way maybe he realizes what's the real meaning of Batman and Robin progressively. In the beginning, he had his own ideas, but some of them have changed along the We Are Robin, Robin War, etc. when the "reality" stomps in his face. In Robin Wars, despite the nonsense battles, he noticed he's to weak and unexperienced to be a Robin for example.

That's why I'm interested in his development. I don't mind all the "better than Batman and Robin" stuff, it's pretty obvious he's not better. It's a different aproach, I want him to learn of his mistakes and to me is interesting and have a lot of margin to grow as a good character. He really likes me in All-star Batman and he's growing slow, I appreciate that.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 10-17-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Describe his personality.
    He is stubborn with his ideas and direct at the time to say them. Although it is realistic when it realizes its own limitations. He's quite independent, he can read the people very well and worries about those who are around him. He's also something suspicious about the people he doesn't know and it's difficult to him to accept help. He has good control of his emotions, not get carried away by anger or fear (he's afraid of heights).

Enough?
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 10-17-2016 at 02:27 PM.

I may not be Duke's biggest fan, but I for one am interested in seeing where his journey takes him. I like what I have heard from Snyder in his latest interview.

I haven't read Robin War or the related comics, I've seen Duke only in Snyder Batman and here in Rebirth. From what I got, he is your typical young man, trying to forge ahead is new identity. He have some sort of dry sense of humour (as seen in his interactions with Gotham Girl), don't really like to remain in the Cave -because he wants to be trained, which is probably because he is somewhat impatient but is humble enough to recognize that he is not ready yet to truly fight the big battles. He seems more instinctual in his decisions than the Robins and Batman, acting more on impulses than pure reasoning, at least for now. He truly believe in second chances, clearly care about others without the cynicism of Batman(as seen in Zero Year and I Am Gotham arcs) and is still really shocked by some of the evil-doers actions.

He also has something that Tim Drake never had (before New 52 at least, from what I read about him) : a reason to become and remain a vigilante. What the Joker did to his parents is a driving force, and could (should?) become is defining feature. As a masked vigilante, he shouldn't try to simply defeat his enemies physically, but rehabilitate them as he try to save his parents.

BANNED

That's not really an appropriate question, he has traits obviously so his supporters will use them and pass them on as "personality". A better question would be "what does Duke want and how does putting on a silly yellow costume achieve that".