Page 61 of 102 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I still wish it was a six issue mini. Three issues may be enough to test the waters for a possible future ongoing but I'm not sure if it's really enough issues to tell a story that has any depth to it or that it will be enough to fully develop this direction for Duke or any of his supporting cast. I was damned impressed with the Role Call story that Tony Patrick wrote but I can't help but be a little concerned here still. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be another case where a writer had an idea that would take six issues to develop properly and then they were told to cut it down to three issues instead.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

It's like this company is just scared at times to do something. Could 6 issue really hurt?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    As do I.

That Duke's solo went from an implied (if not outright stated) on-going to a 6-issue mini to a 3-issue one is rather disheartening. All the while, his other appearances are few, far in-between, and largely stark.

I really do have a lot of faith in the writer, though. His passion for Duke felt genuine whenever he got a chance to speak on it. Though the cutting down of issues is worrisome, I think he'll manage.

I do wish we had the page count to re-introduce his old Crew, but hopefully it'll spin-off into a book that can and will.
    I have faith in the writer as well. He does seem very passionate about the character at least and as I said I loved how Duke (and Jason for that matter) was handled in Role Call. I just hope three issues is enough to tell the story he wants to tell with Duke is all. The better the showing (both story-wise and sales-wise) the better the chance for an ongoing would be and I'd really like an ongoing to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me.

It's like this company is just scared at times to do something. Could 6 issue really hurt?
    I think there are times that DC IS scared to do something different but then again they tried that with DC You and the N52 and both did eventually backfire on them sales-wise. That being said I don't see how a six issue mini for Duke would have really hurt and I'm not at all happy that it's been reduced to three issues instead. Then again Tim had three mini series under his belt before they started the Robin ongoing with only the last one being six issues long so maybe they are merely going a similar route with Duke here. I suppose building up fan interested can't hurt the character either.

For reference:

Robin-(the first mini) was five issues long and ran from November 1990-March 1991
    Robin II: Joker's Wild was four issues long and ran from October 1991-December 1991
    Robin II: Cry of the Huntress was six issues long and ran from November 1992-April 1993

Robin (ongoing series) began in October of 1993 and happened as a result of the success of the previous three minis starring the character.

I could see DC pulling the same thing with Duke here.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-07-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

New art colored + interview Cullen Hammer: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...edium=referral
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 12-12-2017 at 07:53 PM.

I’ve never had such hot/cold feelings about a character as Duke, but these preview pages look interesting. I think I might give this a shot. Or read it in trade.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

I love that we finally have colored images of those pages from what feels like an eternity ago! They're all so cool!

I especially like how the first page is set up. We see everyone, first through the reflection of his chest emblem, then from the 3rd person, and all the while, Duke's head is completely shadowed. It remains that way until he gets up and steps into the light of the window, where he has to brace himself from the strong rays. It's not 'til then where we finally see Duke's face.

There's so much symbolism in the art of that 1st page and it's beautiful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

was spoiler not invited?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    was spoiler not invited?
    Since JPV isn't there either, maybe Duke has a phobia of blondes that he told Bruce about.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Since JPV isn't there either, maybe Duke has a phobia of blondes that he told Bruce about.
    he doesnt seem like a family function type
    but stephs boyfirend and best firned is here so why sint she

Maybe she had a massive hissy fit and quit again.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    he doesnt seem like a family function type
    The man wears sweaters regularly and has a kitten named George. I'm not sure what makes you think he's not down for family gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Maybe she had a massive hissy fit and quit again.
    Remember, this was originally solicited to come out months ago, back before Steph rejoined the team in the first place.

Of course, Steph is being whiny again now as of the latest 'Tec, but that's just because Tim is being a massive wanker.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    It sucks that Jean-Paul is absent.

Whoa, really liking the art here, Cully Hammer is doing an awesome work! There is some clever use of shadows and light here. The Juvy Arkham's powers looks awesome, very powerful and versatile. I hope he's here to stay !

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

That art is really spectacular. Looks like Cully Hammer is pull out all the stops here. Is it wrong that I'm getting even more hyped for the book now just from these art pages?
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That art is really spectacular. Looks like Cully Hammer is pull out all the stops here. Is it wrong that I'm getting even more hyped for the book now just from these art pages?
    NO

Because it's past time for DC to build up a black hero. Excuse time is over and if anyone thinks it's not 2/16/2018 and the date Miles Morales's movie comes out says it is.

was spoiler not invited?
    Probably depends on when that script and art was done.

Maybe something was planned for JPV & Steph to where if you showed them it would be a spoiler.