Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

I don't mind him at all. I'm not in love/obsessed with a fictional character so hard that I can't appreciate others. He is a little bland but he's new, they seem to be fleshing him out more as a person. It seems like Bruce is teaching him to be a good detective, which I always admire.

Also I think fans are going overboard with the "better than Batman" and taking it much too literal. Imo it's not saying Duke is better than Damian or better than Tim personally or skill wise. It's saying he is striving to be a better type of hero than a Robin, just playing second fiddle to Batman. Kinda like when Dick graduated to Nightwing...maybe it's brash but it's a reflection of a different culture and age.

I back Snyder and after reading multiple interviews, respect his approach to writing and developing new characters.

Oh, and I do love how he still visits his mother, showing her pictures and trying to help her heal, while she demeans him and makes threats...of ALL the Duke stuff, THAT is AWESOME
    Last edited by SicariiDC; 10-18-2016 at 04:42 AM.
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Tims motivations for becoming a vigilante are explained in Lonely Place of Dying. Shortly after that, his parents were poisoned by criminals with his mother dying and his father being crippled.
    But it's the New 52 right ? Originally, his parents did not suffer, he just wanted Batman to have a Robin to be stable; if I understand correctly is first nights under the cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man
    He is stubborn with his ideas and direct at the time to say them. Although it is realistic when it realizes its own limitations. He's quite independent, he can read the people very well and worries about those who are around him. He's also sometimes suspicious about the people he doesn't know and it's difficult to him to accept help. He has good control of his emotions, not get carried away by anger or fear (he's afraid of heights).
    Duke- Stubborn and independent young vigilante who is suspicious of people he doesn't know.

Edit: Post no longer relevant after conversation deleted.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 10-20-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Deletion of conversation chain makes post hard to follow.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I think his suit is pretty neat.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I actually like Duke. What I don't like is that most of his development is being handled in the book I don't want to read monthly. Snyder burned me out with his Batman run so I'm not reading All Star Batman right now and I'm probably going to be waiting until it has a few trades available before I do. That of course means I'm going to miss a lot of his development and will likely only see the results of that development at least at first, which is annoying.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 10-18-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Duke is showing up a lot lately between Batman and All Star Batman

It is an appreciation thread though, so let's get back on that topic.
    Last edited by joybeans; 10-18-2016 at 02:11 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well, I appreciate that image. I wish Bermejo had been on art, instead of writing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

My favourite cover of We Are Robin:

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post

If all you want it a boiled down set of adjectives without a subject or a verb, then we can reformat Orujo-man's original reply to meet your criteria

Duke- Stubborn and independent young vigilante who is suspicious of people he doesn't know.
    Yes, I think that's about correct, though I haven't read Duke enough, and this presumably correct enough description highlights why Snyder is doing Duke to begin with: To inject some contemporary relevance and perspective. Which is fair game and many Batwriters do this. People are becoming increasingly like this, for various reasons.

That's why I liked Mr Bloom so much, he was created from the news and the mood of many in the nation.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-18-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I kinda wish Snyder would bring in some of the we are robin kids too as Duke's friends instead of just uniformly putting him into the family like that

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yes, I think that's about correct, though I haven't read Duke enough, and this presumably correct enough description highlights why Snyder is doing Duke to begin with: To inject some contemporary relevance and perspective. Which is fair game and many Batwriters do this. People are becoming increasingly like this, for various reasons.

That's why I liked Mr Bloom so much, he was created from the news and the mood of many in the nation.
    Yeah you right about that. It's normal for the teenagers and youngs question the established order of the society but now after the crisis is more evident. In this times younger people and more adults are more interested in politics, they want to do something and make a change. This can be a comparison with the Robin movement.

I don't live in U.S., but I see this change in the society of my own country. More forums about politics, more talks in the bars between friends, more programs in the TV... It's a common debate right now.

In some manner Duke and the wannabe Robins represents this wish of change. Always liked that concept in We Are Robin, thay want to do something in his city, protect her against those they want to hurt her, inspired by Batman and Robin. At the same time, they are some suspicious and loses some respect about the classic authority figures because they want to do the change in their own way and maybe they think old methods are not enough.

Alfred saw this and he tried to guide the Robins and protect them, giving them equipment and missions.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 10-18-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zep81 View Post
    What story/stories was Duke introduced in? Would like to read one before i start All Star.
    He makes a brief appearance in Zero Year, and shows up again in Endgame. He becomes more of a regular during the Superheavy arc. He was the lead in We Are Robin, and also had a leading role in the crossover event Robin War. The latter two are probably the best books to read in order to get a sense of his character.

Default Duke Thomas (We Are Robin, Lark) Appreciation

Let's talk Duke Thomas. What do you like about his character arc? What do you hope to see from him? Feel free to discuss this character to your heart's content.

Please note that this is an appreciation thread. Criticism regarding his stories or direction is fine, but blatant character bashing and attacks on creators will not be tolerated. This is also not a thread for fueling character fan rivalries.
    Last edited by joybeans; 10-18-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Ultimate Member

http://www.figurerealm.com/customfig...=view&id=85683

Someone made a Duke action figure.