Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

That's really cool to hear always a good idea not to force it. However as excited as I am about Duke being part of the summer event I hope Synder includes the other family members and everyone gets a good showing.

Harper tanked because she was favoured in BRE over the Robins who's birthday it was. Duke isn't gaining any traction or acceptance because of how everyone is blatantly alienated in the ASB and Batman aside from him. It is fast becoming an us and them thing. The rest of the family and Synder's characters and if it continues those characters will be the ones who suffer.

I'm glad Synder is taking the organic approach with Duke but he is also making major mistakes and this interview sounds like he hasn't learned a thing.

I don't think it's a coincidence that every writer aside from King who has written Damian since Rebirth has gone out of their way to include some meta commentary on how Bruce is a bad and deadbeat father to Damian. Or that the only writer who has a fraction of interest in Duke is Tynion a student of Synder's. His creator isn't endearing him to anyone. I can't understand why Synder is working so hard to undermine his own creation.

I hope the summer event creates unity and doesn't continue to divide like everything about Batman aside from Tec has been doing recently.

I hope Duke isn't the star of the summer event I just hope he has a strong role along with others. Batman should be the star of the Summer Batman Event. I hope the Summer event turns out like Robin War. A Dick Grayson/robin story where Duke had a strong role.

On the Tumblr issue. Yeah they have their own headcanons and stuff but there's very little love and support for Duke so I get behind it whenever and where ever I see. Duke needs all the love and support he can get man.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That's really cool to hear always a good idea not to force it. However as excited as I am about Duke being part of the summer event I hope Synder includes the other family members and everyone gets a good showing.
    I think the writers should really sort out the roles of the established members (= Dick, Jason, Damian, Tim and Barbara), instead of again concentrating on the new (or reintroduced) guys. I really don't want to get an other thing like the Externals or Robin War, were my favourite characters, get just humiliated and side lined.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think the writers should really sort out the roles of the established members (= Dick, Jason, Damian, Tim and Barbara), instead of again concentrating on the new (or reintroduced) guys. I really don't want to get an other thing like the Externals or Robin War, were my favourite characters, get just humiliated and side lined.
    This is my fear too and what worries me when I hear that Duke is going to have a major role in the summer event. Duke has no business having a major or starring role in this event. A solid role yes but major or starring ugh this better not be Eternal all over again. Synder and the writer can't be this blind or ignorant of fan reactions.

This is my fear too and what worries me when I hear that Duke is going to have a major role in the summer event. Duke has no business having a major or starring role in this event. A solid role yes but major or starring ugh this better not be Eternal all over again. Synder and the writer can't be this blind or ignorant of fan reactions.
    It wouldn't be without precedent, though. Just one example would be Marv Wolfman when he was writing the NTT and fan reactions to his pet characters, Terry Long and Danny Chase.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    It wouldn't be without precedent, though. Just one example would be Marv Wolfman when he was writing the NTT and fan reactions to his pet characters, Terry Long and Danny Chase.
    As a person who likes what little I've had of Duke so far and who wants to see him succeed I hope the writers are savy to the feelings of fans and how they are killing Duke's character by alienating others while showcasing him.

I like Duke but there are others in the franchise that I love and at times it feels like I'm being forced to choose. They are making it difficult for me to root for Duke in all honesty. Batman #18 was like a middle finger and when Duke showed up I admit I hated seeing him but that's cos I felt like Dick and Damian had being used badly but hey here's Duke. That sucked.

Also where are Danny Chase and Terry Long now? Exactly.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-15-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    But when Denny was introduced, the rest of the team and their dynamik was allready very well established.
    But thats still not really the case with the core Batfamily, because some of the characters got hardly any focus in the events since flashpoint. The writers should imo first focus on the characters that are struggling at the moment (Barbara, Tim and Jason) find a strong place for them in the Batfamily, before they put again the new characters in the spotlight.

Ultimate Member

Duke isn't gaining any traction or acceptance because of how everyone is blatantly alienated in the ASB and Batman aside from him. It is fast becoming an us and them thing. The rest of the family and Synder's characters and if it continues those characters will be the ones who suffer.
    Who suffers? Everyone but Duke has their own books (aside from TIm, Steph & Cass). How is it a guy who barely appears in two books be this much of an issue? The stuff done with Duke is the same stuff done with others in the past to some point. It took 3 years to get Stephanie active in a book after she first appeared. Tim took 5 years to get a solo and this was after 3 minis.

I'm glad Synder is taking the organic approach with Duke but he is also making major mistakes and this interview sounds like he hasn't learned a thing.

I hope the summer event creates unity and doesn't continue to divide like everything about Batman aside from Tec has been doing recently.

I hope Duke isn't the star of the summer event I just hope he has a strong role along with others. Batman should be the star of the Summer Batman Event. I hope the Summer event turns out like Robin War. A Dick Grayson/robin story where Duke had a strong role.
    Seeing this guy is "helping" in the Duke push-you might want to get your hopes down. JOHNS-we have seen his name mentioned way too many times when it comes to Duke.

And after that interview and hints of a Duke solo-this is mirroring something we saw in New 52/DC You.

Johns had/kept saying great things planned for Cyborg. We saw how that worked out. We won't discuss John Stewart-a fanbase no more.

I think a lot of this is Johns handy work-remember Johns had his hands in every book when Rebirth started. So whatever he planned or approved for Duke is happening.

I have a strong feeling Duke will be the "star" of that event-not overshadowing Batman-mind you.

I think the red flags will be who else is in this outside of the Bat family. Remember Dick got his new ID from Superman books. I would suspect the same will happen for Duke.

If this includes Hawkman-he does have 2 IDs not being used-Golden Eagle & Northwind.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who suffers? Everyone but Duke has their own books (aside from TIm, Steph & Cass). How is it a guy who barely appears in two books be this much of an issue? The stuff done with Duke is the same stuff done with others in the past to some point. It took 3 years to get Stephanie active in a book after she first appeared. Tim took 5 years to get a solo and this was after 3 minis.

Seeing this guy is "helping" in the Duke push-you might want to get your hopes down. JOHNS-we have seen his name mentioned way too many times when it comes to Duke.

And after that interview and hints of a Duke solo-this is mirroring something we saw in New 52/DC You.

Johns had/kept saying great things planned for Cyborg. We saw how that worked out. We won't discuss John Stewart-a fanbase no more.

I think a lot of this is Johns handy work-remember Johns had his hands in every book when Rebirth started. So whatever he planned or approved for Duke is happening.

I have a strong feeling Duke will be the "star" of that event-not overshadowing Batman-mind you.

I think the red flags will be who else is in this outside of the Bat family. Remember Dick got his new ID from Superman books. I would suspect the same will happen for Duke.

If this includes Hawkman-he does have 2 IDs not being used-Golden Eagle & Northwind.
    The characters that will suffer are Duke and Harper like you said everyone has books and solid fans those two don't.

Yes but when Steph and Tim or any other sidekick was being introduced there wasn't what seems to be an embargo on the other established family members which is what it feels like right now.

It isn't about how long you take to establish a character is about how you handle other existing family members whilst you're doing that.

They can take as long as they want to establish Duke but in that time while you're doing that I would like to see Batman interact with or other bat side characters I like in the Batman book alongside Duke. Don't ignore some in favour of one.

If Duke turns out to be the star then DC really doesn't much about their fans or the market and it will be the final nail in Duke's coffin.

And if all this is John's handiwork then teamed with the points you made above and his track record I will start to believe that Johns doesn't want DC to have any legit popular black characters who are handled well and who are successful.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-15-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Who suffers? Everyone but Duke has their own books (aside from TIm, Steph & Cass). How is it a guy who barely appears in two books be this much of an issue?
    The problem is not duke alone. The thing is even the characters with solos need from time to time the push from having a bigger story line and have to feel kind of relevant for the whole Batman franchise. On top of this some characters were changed by the reboot, wich means that you somehow have to redefine their role in the Batfamily.

The batoffice imo failed mostly to do this with several characters, and instead of doing this focused in books like the Eternals (that would have been a great oportunity to do it) more on (re)introducing other characters, instead of giving these characters an opportunity to shine.

BANNED

Scott Snyder causes four-color comic book bulimia with forcing his "creations" on fans of Batman and the legacy Family members.

When a creators happens to be the worst thing for a character. I hope Synder moves on from DC soon or hands Duke over to another writer. I've loved the character best under Bermejo and in Robin War. The Bat office doesn't seem to have a clue or is too short sighted to see how divisive the way they are handling Duke is.

The problem isn't Duke. The problem is how the other characters in the franchise are seemingly neglected aside from him. Yes they are featured elsewhere and but what is stopping King and Synder from also using those guys a bit.
    Synders run on Batman did it's best to alienate the family and Duke smacks of a Robin replacement that was vetoed by the suits leaving everyone scrambling to find a place for him.

Not to mention that it feels very weird that Duke is with Batman while the official Robin and Bruce's son is MIA in Batman books.

Out of curiosity how do Duke fans feel about this fact? Robin not been a feature in the Batbooks. He lives there or at least did until recently but he is never mentioned. How does everyone feel about that?

Astonishing Member

Who suffers? Everyone but Duke has their own books (aside from TIm, Steph & Cass). How is it a guy who barely appears in two books be this much of an issue?
    I have to say, I agree with this.

There's some paranoia going on (but when isn't there paranoia, I suppose), but in general, the worries and fears here are rather unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Out of curiosity how do Duke fans feel about this fact? Robin not been a feature in the Batbooks. He lives there or at least did until recently but he is never mentioned. How does everyone feel about that?
    At least in my case, fine at this point, since Damian is explicitly off doing his own things, and has been so for a good little while now (since Robin: Son of Batman). Since I know what his and Bruce's relationship is from when they were together in the past and because it means Damian is being allowed to expand himself beyond the boundaries of his father (which we already know the general ins and outs of, as I mentioned), I'm completely okay that he's not in the mainline Batman book as of current.

As an aside, I do not agree that the non-Duke characters from the franchise are being neglected, especially since the main Batman book is only just now bringing Duke back into some kind of focus after months of sidelines and brisk cameos that may or may not have amounted to anything more than a namedrop.

The others aren't neglected because of the other books they are in. In addition, Duke is generally neglected in the mainline Batman book, too, very recent events and prior aforementioned lip-service aside. At the moment, that book seems/seemed to be focusing on a mini-Bane epic for its primary storyline, with rekindling the Batman/Catwoman fire being one of its more prominent subplots in addition.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 03-15-2017 at 04:16 PM.

BANNED

I don't care for Bruce abandoning his biological son for whatever "fan-favorite" Snyder wants to boast that he's created THIS time.

Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I have to say, I agree with this.

There's some paranoia going on (but when isn't there paranoia, I suppose), but in general, the worries and fears here are rather unfounded.

At least in my case, fine at this point, since Damian is explicitly off doing his own things, and has been so for a good little while now (since Robin: Son of Batman). Since I know what his and Bruce's relationship is from when they were together in the past and because it means Damian is being allowed to expand himself beyond the boundaries of his father (which we already know the general ins and outs of, as I mentioned), I'm completely okay that he's not in the mainline Batman book as of current.

As an aside, I do not agree that the non-Duke characters from the franchise are being neglected, especially since the main Batman book is only just now bringing Duke back into some kind of focus after months of sidelines and brisk cameos that may or may not have amounted to anything more than a namedrop.

The others aren't neglected because of the other books they are in. In addition, Duke is generally neglected in the mainline Batman book, too, very recent events and prior aforementioned lip-service aside. At the moment, that book seems/seemed to be focusing on a mini-Bane epic for its primary storyline, with rekindling the Batman/Catwoman fire being one of its more prominent subplots in addition.
    You are missing the point. Did you read the latest Batman? You see that little reference to Brice's son, the occasional shot in the cave showing 1 or 2 of his pets little mentions. Things like that would be a great way of acknowledging a man's son and Robin. Things like that will make it less strange and it's not paranoia if other writers are calling it out and making it a thing.

Name drop other characters as well something to show that there are other people in Bruce's life besides Duke, Catwoman and Alfred. The boys are a far more established and important part of Bruce's life than Duke so they should be acknowledged in the franchises main selling books.

And Bruce and Damian's relationship is a close one. Yes they butt heads but the relationship is one of a caring father who went to hell to bring his kid back. Who chose his kid over his parents when given a choice of who to bring back. That is their relationship until Duke and Rebirth. RSOB Bruce was there for his son fighting side by side with Talia and their kid. He was always there for Damian.
    Last edited by Fergus; 03-16-2017 at 01:35 AM.